PDA

View Full Version : EM 10 IS noise

Ken Lister
13th March 2014, 12:11 PM
Picked up an EM 10 from Jessops last night. On powering up you can hear a faint hiss from the loudspeaker which increases considerably when you half press the shutter release to make the IS kick in. I rang Olympus technical help to query this and was told this is normal for the type of IS fitted to the EM10.
Does anyone else have the same noise?
Ken

Zuiko
13th March 2014, 12:17 PM
On my E-M5, yes. How noticable it is depends on the environment - in a busy street it's barely audible but if you are alone in a church it can be almost deafening! Unless it particularly irritates you it is nothing to worry about.

Ken Lister
13th March 2014, 12:33 PM
Ok -so it is normal but it is annoying. Why is it happening? Is electronic noise being picked up by the microphone and instantly reproduced? This would imply a design flaw.

Ken

Zuiko
13th March 2014, 12:45 PM
I don't think the noise is being picked up by the mic (although it might in video mode, I don't know), I believe it emminates directly from the IS. You do get used to it and I'm rarely aware of it now, except if in a country church!

brianvickers
14th March 2014, 05:04 PM
I'm very sensitive to noise, even the faint hum of distant traffic can annoy me…I thought I'd never be happy with the EM-5 when I first heard it but now I never hear it. So I'm saying don't worry…if I can get used to it then I think probably anyone can. As compensation you do have a very advanced IS system there.
I think Zuiko is right, its the sound of the system suspending the sensor - not a speaker problem. Hope that helps.

snerkler
6th May 2014, 07:34 AM
You can turn the IBIS off with half shutter press. I did this straight away as I found it annoying. The IBIS still works for the actual shot, but it doesn't kick in when composing the shot, therefore if you're using long lenses it might be difficult to MF as the image will be shaking too much.

For the rare occasion I do this I'll turn the IBIS on for half shutter press, but otherwise I'll leave it off.

Annoyingly I've found that you can hear the IBIS during video playback, so I'll disable IBIS during video too unless I'm using a long lens.

BigTom
6th May 2014, 01:35 PM
Yeah it is a bit disconcerting at first. I got used to it very quickly on the E-M5 though, never give it a second thought now.

byegad
18th June 2014, 08:26 AM
Mine has it, but I hardly notice it.

philjay
18th June 2014, 09:24 AM
Ahhhh thats what the noise is. I was wondering what it was.
Ive had my Em10 just over a week and noticed this, sounds a bit like a panasonic hdd video camera i used to use only much quieter.