PDA

View Full Version : GIMP and E-3 RAW Files?

Dick Bowman
5th October 2008, 03:17 PM
Does anybody know what's needed to get GIMP to handle RAW files from the E-3?

Had it installed a couple of years back and decided to take another look.

Downloaded 2.6 (for Windows) - and revived GIMPShop as well (that didn't seem to have a new version).

GIMPShop says "unknown file type" when I try to open a .ORF file (E-1 or E-3).

GIMP 2.6 opens E-1 files (there was a bit of nonsense involving a Symantec file that needed some registry editing - not sure that this bodes well for the GIMP port onto Windows), but while E-3 files open they just show as green fuzz (can't remember taking any pictures of green fuzz lately).

My guess is that there's a file update I need.

Henk
5th October 2008, 04:00 PM
I don't think that Gimp supports raw conversion but you can try RawTherapee which is a free raw converter, you can find it here: http://www.rawtherapee.com/?mitem=3

RawTherapee is a decent raw converter and you can get excellent results from your E-3 files.

mas
5th October 2008, 05:02 PM
Henk's recommendation looks very nice - I've only had a quick look though.

for gimp on linux I installed dcraw to get orf files to open - not sure if thats any good to you on windoze?

Nick Temple-Fry
5th October 2008, 05:52 PM
The DCRAW plugin for GIMP handles E-3orf files (DCRAW is any way the back end for RawTherapee). There is no need for any registry changes.

Personally I prefer to use RawTherapee to generate Tiff or JPG, then pp in The GIMP, but that is personal preference.

Not yet tried DCRAW with Gimp 2.6.

Nick

Dick Bowman
6th October 2008, 08:18 AM
Thanks for the responses.

GIMP seemed to have found an old copy of DCRAW on my machine, downloaded the latest (UFRAW 0.13) and all is well between GIMP and my E-3 RAW files. GIMPShop is still giving me the "unrecognised file type" brushoff, but may not be long for this world anyway (at least chez Dick).

I have RawTherapee installed, but wasn't much drawn to it.

Seem to keep on looking for a RAW processor I really like (RawShooter was good while it lasted). Lightroom suits my processing needs, but I don't care for all that "we'll take care of your catalogue" stuff and Adobe's rapacious pricing policy. Silkypix seems to suit my processing needs better and I'd probably go for it if it wasn't for having to deal with Shortcut Software. I think I understand why I gave GIMP the elbow before. Tied a couple of others (Bibble, something else), but didn't care for them.

HughofBardfield
6th October 2008, 09:45 AM
Because Raw Therapee uses DCRAW as its conversion engine, it does outperform Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) in a few areas (especially highlight recovery). For that reason, I keep a copy on my PC for occasional use, although I use Lightroom for probably 99% of my images.

Lightzone ( http://www.lightcrafts.com/ ) is also good (albeit you do have to pay for it) for some images, especially, IMHO for B&W conversions. I have also found it to be capable of handling some "difficult" images that ACR gives up on.

DekHog
6th October 2008, 10:31 AM
Lightzone ( http://www.lightcrafts.com/ ) is also good (albeit you do have to pay for it) for some images, especially, IMHO for B&W conversions. I have also found it to be capable of handling some "difficult" images that ACR gives up on.

Yup, I have to agree, Lightzone is very, very good once you get to grips with it, which isn't too hard - the freehand 'zones' do it for me, although zonemapper is a wee bit harder to get to grips with. The 'Relight' tool is also very effective.