PDA

View Full Version : 45mm - I finally cracked

Zuiko
3rd March 2014, 11:58 PM
I can't really justify buying any camera gear at all these days, but I have long hankered after a 45mm f1.8 and regularly check used prices.

Today I found one advertised by Cameraworld, described as excellent condition and with a 6 month warranty, for 165 including postage.

I'm sorry if you read this, Debbie, I tried to resist, but I must admit I finally cracked! :o

Graham_of_Rainham
4th March 2014, 12:17 AM
Ian let me borrow one at the South Bank E-Group meet. I really liked the IQ from this lens, so went out and got one.

While it is ideal for portraits, I found the working distance for a full length shot of a person was sometimes just a bit to long for some indoor shoots.

Until they produce the 20-60 f/2 I guess the 45mm f/1.8 will get a lot of use.

Have fun.

*chr

David M
4th March 2014, 12:52 AM
I know you've had trouble getting motivated recently John but sometimes a new tool can help you get your mojo back.

Zuiko
4th March 2014, 01:40 AM
I know you've had trouble getting motivated recently John but sometimes a new tool can help you get your mojo back.

That's kind of what I'm hoping, David, a few days ago I was considering putting my kit up for sale! Often I have those sort of thoughts when I'm depressed but I feel OK at the moment, at least I think I am, so I guess I'm just stuck in a rut. Apart from a legacy macro, the 45mm will be my only prime and I might go out with just this a few times to help sharpen up my observation and composition skills.

Zuiko
4th March 2014, 01:56 AM
Ian let me borrow one at the South Bank E-Group meet. I really liked the IQ from this lens, so went out and got one.

While it is ideal for portraits, I found the working distance for a full length shot of a person was sometimes just a bit to long for some indoor shoots.

Until they produce the 20-60 f/2 I guess the 45mm f/1.8 will get a lot of use.

Have fun.

*chr

I hired one from Ian last year and was impressed, but managed to resist at the time. Here's a shot I took at Camden Market.

http://www.e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/CAMDEN_002_e_c_r_s_2.jpg

David M
4th March 2014, 02:21 AM
I've also been going out with just a prime to see what I can find. Spending the day taking routine record shots I'm finding it hard to get motivated to do personal work.

Iiyama
4th March 2014, 06:12 AM
The 45mm is my most used lens and I can never see me parting with it. Enjoy.

Phill D
4th March 2014, 06:49 AM
Congratulations John, I'm sure that lens will serve you well.
Hopefully it will re-energise your mojo and banish those thoughts of selling your kit. That would be a loss to all of us.

benvendetta
4th March 2014, 06:53 AM
It was a toss up between the 45mm and the new 25mm at the NEC yesterday but I went for the latter as I already have the regular 43rds 50mm. I am looking forward to exploring the possibilities that this focal length can give, just like many of us had to do in film days.

StephenL
4th March 2014, 07:47 AM
It's a cracking good lens John, as I'm sure you know.

Wee man
4th March 2014, 08:11 AM
John glad to hear the lens has given you a lift yesterday did it for me, I have been getting out more and my new lens will help. Hang in there with the longer days and more things to shoot will help get you going I hope.

stevewestern
4th March 2014, 09:00 AM

Not really on topic but this is exactly where I am at - I have not used a camera for many months and have just sold all my Canon FF gear with a view to buying an EM1 and a couple of lenses to try to get me motivated again - hope it works !
The 45mm is on my list which I hope to be ordering over the next few days..

byegad
4th March 2014, 09:06 AM
My 45 gets a lot of use indoors taking fast moving children and in poor light conditions.

themosttogain
4th March 2014, 09:15 AM
I just did my daily check of the new in's at LCE and just bought me a one too! Black, boxed as new condition for £149.99 inc delivery!

I've been wanting one for a while but all that keeps turning up is the silver version which I think looks out of place on an EM1.

This will probably replace my Sigma 30mm 2.8 which may well end up on offer here in the next few days!

PeterBirder
4th March 2014, 09:19 AM
Hi John.

We really are both in the same mode at the moment.:)

I succumbed to buying Pete's (snaarman) VF-2 last night to spice up my E-PL1.:cool:

As Friday's weather forecast is still for overcast all day perhaps we should have a 45mm shoot-out in the gloom.:)

Regards.*chr

Zuiko
4th March 2014, 09:31 AM
I've also been going out with just a prime to see what I can find. Spending the day taking routine record shots I'm finding it hard to get motivated to do personal work.

With the type of work you do the danger is photo overload, needing to do something different in your own time. I appreciate your dilemma, 'togging as a day job is not always as glamorous as people think. Hope you regain your motivation soon, David.

snaarman
4th March 2014, 09:36 AM
I have the 45mm, and I find it wonderfully sharp. (If you have ever had the 4/3 50mm macro then you know what sharp is, and the 45 is very nearly as sharp).

It's only tiny weakness is longitudinal CA, and that will only show itself with certain subjects.

The AF speed is amazing, the bokeh is sublime: What's not to like, as they say.

Pete

gregles
4th March 2014, 09:39 AM
Just leave it on your camera for a month John *yes

It is a fantastic piece of glass, so versatile and portable. I remember your market shots from before and your comment that 1.8 was too shallow and you preferred it at 3.2:)

Enjoy big pal

Greg:D

Zuiko
4th March 2014, 09:42 AM
Congratulations John, I'm sure that lens will serve you well.
Hopefully it will re-energise your mojo and banish those thoughts of selling your kit. That would be a loss to all of us.

Rather oddly one thing that helped snap me out of it was taking my car for a service. The previous day I had hurriedly emptied a portfolio case of prints on the back seat of my car as my daughter needed a case for her artwork. I was going to just bin the prints but didn't get round to it. When I collected my car the mechanic said he couldn't help noticing the pictures and didn't realize I was a professional photographer. He was quite surprised when I told him I wasn't! However, it's no good dwelling on yesterday's pictures - I do need motivation for something new.

Zuiko
4th March 2014, 09:47 AM
It was a toss up between the 45mm and the new 25mm at the NEC yesterday but I went for the latter as I already have the regular 43rds 50mm. I am looking forward to exploring the possibilities that this focal length can give, just like many of us had to do in film days.

Hehe, unfortunately I couldn't quite stretch to the new 25mm but looking forward to seeing shots from it by you and others who have bought one. :)

Zuiko
4th March 2014, 09:50 AM
Not really on topic but this is exactly where I am at - I have not used a camera for many months and have just sold all my Canon FF gear with a view to buying an EM1 and a couple of lenses to try to get me motivated again - hope it works !
The 45mm is on my list which I hope to be ordering over the next few days..

Drastic action, Steve, but at least you should find that you have the camera with you more often. I hope it works and look forward to following your progress.

Zuiko
4th March 2014, 09:51 AM
My 45 gets a lot of use indoors taking fast moving children and in poor light conditions.

I've got two of those three but not the fast moving children! :D

Zuiko
4th March 2014, 09:53 AM
I just did my daily check of the new in's at LCE and just bought me a one too! Black, boxed as new condition for 149.99 inc delivery!

I've been wanting one for a while but all that keeps turning up is the silver version which I think looks out of place on an EM1.

This will probably replace my Sigma 30mm 2.8 which may well end up on offer here in the next few days!

Oh well done! And I thought I'd found a bargain! *chr

Zuiko
4th March 2014, 09:56 AM
Hi John.

We really are both in the same mode at the moment.:)

I succumbed to buying Pete's (snaarman) VF-2 last night to spice up my E-PL1.:cool:

As Friday's weather forecast is still for overcast all day perhaps we should have a 45mm shoot-out in the gloom.:)

Regards.*chr

Hi Peter,

I'll definitely be bringing my camera and hopefully the 45mm if it arrives. I'm sure even a good old natter will do us both good. *chr

Zuiko
4th March 2014, 09:58 AM
I have the 45mm, and I find it wonderfully sharp. (If you have ever had the 4/3 50mm macro then you know what sharp is, and the 45 is very nearly as sharp).

It's only tiny weakness is longitudinal CA, and that will only show itself with certain subjects.

The AF speed is amazing, the bokeh is sublime: What's not to like, as they say.

Pete

If my 45mm does half as well as yours, I'll be happy. :D

Zuiko
4th March 2014, 10:03 AM
Just leave it on your camera for a month John *yes

It is a fantastic piece of glass, so versatile and portable. I remember your market shots from before and your comment that 1.8 was too shallow and you preferred it at 3.2:)

Enjoy big pal

Greg:D

Hi Greg, yes I did find f1.8 was too shallow at times. The shot of the boots (above) was taken at around f3.4, but it's great to have the option of opening it up another couple of stops and at times I do miss the dicipline of using a prime. A month sounds a good idea. :)

David M
4th March 2014, 11:55 PM
This winter hasn't helped me John. The constant snow, cold and wind doesn't make me want to get out and do personal work.

Zuiko
5th March 2014, 08:21 AM
This winter hasn't helped me John. The constant snow, cold and wind doesn't make me want to get out and do personal work.

There was a time when you would have relished that, David - me too! Trouble is, we aren't getting any younger! :rolleyes:

davy59
5th March 2014, 08:44 AM
I have the 45mm in my collection and I love it for landscapes and in cities. It is far really more than just a portrait lens. If you need inspiration or just to see its different uses have a look at this link (it it works!)

Marc Weisberg spent 3 weeks using it (amongst other MC 3/4 kit) in Paris and New York. He really shows how useful it can be and his piece was one of the reasons I bought it.

http://marcweisberg.com/2012/11/olympus-om-d-e-m5-real-world-review

OlyPaul
5th March 2014, 09:07 AM
John you will find the f1.8 aperture ideal for portraits of people or animals where you want them to stand out from the background.

It's my favourite lens of all time.:D

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/1699/20121013_030812.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/70582)

Zuiko
5th March 2014, 06:53 PM
I have the 45mm in my collection and I love it for landscapes and in cities. It is far really more than just a portrait lens. If you need inspiration or just to see its different uses have a look at this link (it it works!)

Marc Weisberg spent 3 weeks using it (amongst other MC 3/4 kit) in Paris and New York. He really shows how useful it can be and his piece was one of the reasons I bought it.

http://marcweisberg.com/2012/11/olympus-om-d-e-m5-real-world-review

Thanks for the link - very interesting. :)

Zuiko
5th March 2014, 06:55 PM
John you will find the f1.8 aperture ideal for portraits of people or animals where you want them to stand out from the background.

It's my favourite lens of all time.:D

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/1699/20121013_030812.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/70582)

Now I've got the same lens as you I expect my portraits to be as good as yours. :D

Wee man
5th March 2014, 07:06 PM
Well done John looking forward to results when get out with the new lens.

Nice shot Paul pure trust in thise eyes.

Zuiko
5th March 2014, 07:10 PM
Well done John looking forward to results when get out with the new lens.

Nice shot Paul pure trust in thise eyes.

It arrived today and I'll definitely be taking it when I meet PeterBirder on Friday. :)