PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for the Welcome

Baffled
4th October 2008, 03:34 PM
Thanks for the welcome.

I am new to Digital photography after a lifetime spent with 35mmfilm. Until a few years ago I had my own darkroom in which I spent many happy hours. Since moving I no longer have that luxury and my photography has declined in both quality and quantity ....and interest as having prints processed elsewhere takes most of the fun out of it and is also very expensive. One doesn't shoot with quite the same gay abandon.

So I am now trying to get my aged head round my new acquisition - An Olympus E510.

First impressions? -Well one of my early cameras was a Pentax Spotmatic when Pentax had the advertising slogan "Just hold a Pentax" and I am delighted that such would equally apply to the E510. It fits the hand beautifully and the balance is a joy.

Whether I ever manage to understand, and take advantage, of all its possibilities time will tell. On my old cameras I always relied on manual settings and find all the options now before me somewhat of a hindrance as paradoxically they slow me down. Doubtless I will come to terms with it in time.

Until then I am largely,

Baffled

snaarman
4th October 2008, 04:17 PM
Welcome along Baffled. This is a friendly and helpful forum, a great place to share ideas and pictures :-)

I have the E510 and am most impressed.. There's a lot to learn down in the menus, but (somewhere else on this forum) you can find a link to web page that gives you the quick guide to the best settings..

I used to do film/darkroom/enlarger. There days its all DSLR, memory card and Photoshop. I probably take 5 times more pictures than I did in the film era, more of them are keepers, and the technical quality is generally better.

So there's no substitute to going out and using the camera.. Then you can post some of the results here in the (free) gallery space :)

Cheers

Pete

Baffled
4th October 2008, 04:30 PM
Thanks Snarman,

I did indeed try to post some exploratory photos but without success. Getting them from Master 2 is beyond me. I think they may have to many pixels, or pixies, or something. But that's just a guess. It equally may be because it's Saturday

When I have a couple of month's free time to experiment I may well try again.

Baffled

DekHog
4th October 2008, 05:00 PM
Welcome to the forum - I'm sure you'll love the 510 - I love mine anyway!

I think the page Pete was referring to was probably the Wrotniak (http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/e510-sett.html) settings page for the E-510 - there's some other useful stuff if you follow the link at the top of the page. There's also another page along the same lines which is very good here (http://www.ayton.id.au/gary/photo/Dig_OlyE510_2.htm).

Maybe best shoot in jpeg for the moment (if you're shooting in RAW), and then there's no need for the OM software to add to your confusion, plus it's easy to resize them, etc.... or maybe it's just because you do have too many pixies and it's now knocking on for Sunday... :D

grumpy69
5th October 2008, 07:05 AM
Welcome, I am sure with your history in photography you will soon be helping me *yes