PDA

View Full Version : New online shop.

shirley
23rd February 2014, 02:17 PM
Hi folks,
I am anticipating retirement in a couple of years time and have started to think about filling my time and raising a few pennies, consequently I have set up an online card business ( business is probably overstating it at the moment!!!). I have listened to what others have said re stock photography, which I don't think is for me, and definitely do not want to do wedding photography, so here is my first attempt. Very small and slow for starters with minimal initial outlay to test the waters.

My shop is at www.folksy.com/shops/photoshackcreations

I also have a Facebook page so, if you know about these things which I didn't before setting this up, please visit my page and, if you feel Inclined, comment, like and/or share.

www.Facebook.com/photoshackcreations

Many thanks for taking the time to read this and visit my page
Shirley

StephenL
23rd February 2014, 02:32 PM
That's an interesting way of selling. Be interested to know how it goes. Good luck!

Phill D
23rd February 2014, 07:26 PM
Some fabulous cards and tags there Shirley. That looks like an excellent start to me. The very best of luck with this venture and retirement, I think it's going to be a busy one. I'm not that far away from retiring myself so I may be asking for some tips sooner that I care to admit.

Kami
23rd February 2014, 08:02 PM
Looks good :-) I'd suggest having a few ideas for income streams - try a small number out for a while, then concentrate on that / those which work best !

How much are you hoping to earn each month / year ?

shirley
24th February 2014, 06:59 AM
Thank you Stephen, Phil and Kami for your encouragement.

This is very much a toe in the water exercise and I know that this is a difficult area to do well in. I have deliberately kept my set up costs small and only had relatively few cards printed to try and find out what the demand will be, I have some other ideas I will roll out over time. In addition it has to be manageable as I am still in full time work and this must not impinge on that.

So the shop is up and ready for customers, I have had two orders so far, which is encouraging and tells me that the system is working, however, one of those was my daughter so probably doesn't count!!

Now I wait and see what happens.

Thanks again for looking.

sponner
24th February 2014, 09:53 AM
Have you thought of Zazzle,

There are no fees and they handle the printing postage etc.

Most of the sales are in America but they do OK for me (mainly business cards with two or three regular sellers), I didn't withdraw anything for over a year but have taken out £1000 or thereabouts in the last 12 months.

shirley
24th February 2014, 10:58 AM
Have you thought of Zazzle,

There are no fees and they handle the printing postage etc.

Most of the sales are in America but they do OK for me (mainly business cards with two or three regular sellers), I didn't withdraw anything for over a year but have taken out 1000 or thereabouts in the last 12 months.

No I hadn't thought of Zazzle. How does it work, do Zazzle inform you when a sale has been made or does it come directly to the seller? Are there any pitfalls I should know about and do they allow people to sell on other sites?
Thanks for any advice you can offer.
Shirley

sponner
24th February 2014, 11:18 AM
The only pitfall as far as I can see is wasted time.

There are no restrictions regarding other sites afaik.

You "design" a product such as a business card, t shirt wtc and post it for sale with appropriate key words. If it sells they take the money, print and ship the product and then you get the commission into you account. I have everything set at 14%.

e.g.

Sheep Business Card c
sponner
zazzle_profilecard
240-46034002-0599313
169-73495988-1573928

Patricia
Dom Pedrito, Brazil 2/18/2014 6:25:35 PM 1

R$49.95 14.0% R$5.59 BRL $2.25**

Ulfric M Douglas
24th February 2014, 02:18 PM
Shirley I like the products and the way your website works (and I often absolutely hate websites and the way they just don't work), all seems easy and postage is reasonable.
The more that know about it the better, good luck.

Zuiko
24th February 2014, 02:57 PM
Hi Shirley,

I bet retirement can't come quick enough, although with all the improvements Mr Gove is making I thought you might like to stay on!

Good luck with your new venture, it's looking good. Shopping on the site was a very positve experience, apart from no obvious way to continue to shop after an item has been placed in the basket, but at least I didn't lose anything when I used the back button.

Payment using PayPal was a doddle and, although I didn't use it, the option to make payment after delivery of the goods is a nice touch.

Iansky
24th February 2014, 05:23 PM
Good luck Shirley,

My wife uses FB for promoting her business and she has / does get a lot of enquiries and business from it.

shirley
25th February 2014, 04:32 PM
Thank you all for your encouragement and especially to John who has bought some cards :D. They are in the post, I hope you like them.