PDA

View Full Version : Worth buying an E-3

Ste1976
2nd October 2008, 01:55 PM
Hi this is my first post on here been a lurker for a long time thou.

Anyroads im considering buying an E-3 main reason weathersealing due to all the bad weather we've had recently ive not had much chance to get out and about with the E-520, but with the recent announcment of the E-30 or whatever they going to call it, is it worth spending over 900 on this camera now, moreso if the E-XX is going to be weathersealed aswell.

Chillimonster
2nd October 2008, 02:13 PM
One of the problems with electronics is the "next-big-thing".

There is always going to be something better / faster etc around the corner, but if you want a rugged, weather sealed camera with some of THE BEST lenses available for any system, the E-3 is currently the best tool for the job.

tlove
2nd October 2008, 04:28 PM
One of the problems with electronics is the "next-big-thing".

There is always going to be something better / faster etc around the corner, but if you want a rugged, weather sealed camera with some of THE BEST lenses available for any system, the E-3 is currently the best tool for the job.

Couldn't have said it better myself :)

If you wait until they stop developing cameras (or PCs etc.), bring down the price, wait until the time is right etc. etc. you'll never get to buy anything. My advice - for what it's worth as an E-3 owner is - if you can afford to do it and want to stay with Olympus kit, then get in there and get one. Together with the weather sealed lenses (not the kit lenses), you'll be laughing - it's some of the best kit around at the moment!

Oh - and welcome to WAB, by the way :o:o!

Barr1e
2nd October 2008, 04:41 PM
Ste1976 -

Hi and welcome.

In a few days I shall be adding the E-3 and 12-60 lens to my kit.

Regards. Barr1e

Chillimonster
2nd October 2008, 04:44 PM
Ste1976 -

Hi and welcome.

In a few days I shall be adding the E-3 and 12-60 lens to my kit.

Regards. Barr1e

I thinks that gives you an answer :)

Chris

photo_owl
2nd October 2008, 05:33 PM
Hi this is my first post on here been a lurker for a long time thou.

Anyroads im considering buying an E-3 main reason weathersealing due to all the bad weather we've had recently ive not had much chance to get out and about with the E-520, but with the recent announcment of the E-30 or whatever they going to call it, is it worth spending over 900 on this camera now, moreso if the E-XX is going to be weathersealed aswell.

the problem is that there is price and there is value

at 900 including an fl50r flash gun it's good value unless you have a lot of fl50s already! as the flash offer is on the table until the end of the year you may see the value improve a touch towards the end of the year, and you may see the price fall significantly in the new year (or another package announced).

finally - if you have the 520 the E3 for heavy outdoors work makes a lot of sense. the exx may not represent such a step. if you are planning on an exchange for the 520 then that will have more value now as well

Ste1976
2nd October 2008, 06:15 PM
Well i do have both the E-420 with the 25mm pancake which i must say is a joy to use and is great as a general walk about setup, also already have the 12-60mm SWD to and the old FL-50 flash to

What i intend doing is selling off the E-520 body & the FL-50 flash and putting the money towards the E-3 body don't want to sell the E-420 as ive just love using it.

Also thanks Barr1e your going to love the 12-60mm it's one hell of a lens

DekHog
2nd October 2008, 06:47 PM
Is weatherproofing and a bigger, brighter viewfinder really worth the huge premium? Do people really trudge around in the rain taking photographs that often?

Personally (and I'm sure I'm not alone here), a big part of the reason I bought into the Olympus system was size and weight, and having handled an E-3, would never in a million years lug one around with a couple of weighty pro-spec lenses (unless it was my means of income) - this was the very reason I ditched my old SLR kit years ago.

Kudos to the guys who are happy with their E-1's - not the lightest piece of kit in the world either, but they obviously aren't caught up in the 'needmania' that seems to consume most of us when it comes to kit.

photo_owl
2nd October 2008, 07:29 PM
I too bought in on the compact competence banner

I still have 400 and 510 but at the end of the day the e3 really is a joy to use - for me as I can't answer for others.

I picked up the 510 to take some like for like shots earlier and first impressions were 'wow' size. it was only when I looked throught the viewfinder I went 'ah' E3. then I looked at the output - close but no coconut. 520 is closer of course.......

JohnGG
2nd October 2008, 10:18 PM
Welcome to the forum :)

I found the E-3 and pro lens weather-sealing a godsend when I slipped on a wet rock and fell in a stream this (so called) summer. I just wiped the water off the front of the 50-200 and the E-3 screen and top-plate display then carried on taking pictures. The only damage was a scrape on the lens hood and dented pride :o

As well as the impromptu immersion, I have used the E-3 and the E-1 in some horrible weather and the kit has never missed a beat. I am very impressed by it's durability *yes

Cheers,

JohnGG