PDA

View Full Version : Helloooooo

benvendetta
2nd October 2008, 12:25 PM
Hi, just joined this group after spending (far too much) time over on the Oly forum on DPR.
I'm Dave and live in south east Wales. I am a member of the Olympus UKPS Group and have hosted mini-events in Cardiff and Bristol.
I have been into photography since 1971 with Zeniths, Prakticas, Olympuses and Nikon film cameras. Although I still use the Nikon occasionally I now mostly shoot digital. I have an E-3, backed up with an E-500. I also have a selection of HG ZDs including the 11-22 and 50-200.
As well as taking photographs I am also a photographic judge with the Welsh Photographic Federation, which gets me around the local clubs on a regular basis. I am also a member of Cwmbran Photographic Society.
I will try and post on a regular basis.

Dave

Graham_of_Rainham
2nd October 2008, 12:36 PM
Dave,

There are lots of us here with a similar history so you should feel right at home. ;)

I'm just about to attend the Judges course so it will nice to see some of your comments on the images put up for critique and in the galleries.

*chr

theMusicMan
2nd October 2008, 01:08 PM
South East Wales eh... we'll have to meet up sometime as that's where I am at too. Newport me!

Cwmbran you...?

benvendetta
2nd October 2008, 03:07 PM
Work in Cwmbran (Llantarnam Park), live in New Inn. Are you a member of one of the two Newport clubs? If not, why not join us in Cwmbran - it will be great to double the Oly membership! LOL!

theMusicMan
2nd October 2008, 03:18 PM
No, I'm afraid I am not a member of any photography clubs - they are not my scene really. I have always got the impression that they are a little cliquey and are sometimes perceived as 'boys clubs' i.e. your level of photography is directly related to the Canikon kit you have... :)

Perhaps we can meet up sometime though. I love to photograph birds, you...?

Barr1e
2nd October 2008, 04:53 PM
benvendetta -

Heelloooo to yoooo toooo. :D

Regards. Barr1e

JackBenedict
2nd October 2008, 06:15 PM
Hello Dave,

Welcome to the Oly forum. You have just joined a VERY friendly,helpful bunch of Oly users. In fact their knowledge takes my breath away when I see some of the handiwork.

I not sure how many welsh lads & ladies we have in the forum - but the time is coming when we will have to organise a field trip.

Kind regards
Jack

benvendetta
3rd October 2008, 12:00 PM
No, I'm afraid I am not a member of any photography clubs - they are not my scene really. I have always got the impression that they are a little cliquey and are sometimes perceived as 'boys clubs' i.e. your level of photography is directly related to the Canikon kit you have... :)

Perhaps we can meet up sometime though. I love to photograph birds, you...?

It is a shame you think this of camera clubs. Cwmbran is a world away from your perception. We very very rarely talk about kit - always the image. Although I know what kit some members use, with many I don't, and quite frankly I don't care.
I would not be nearly as good a photographer if I was not a member of a club. How would I get my images assessed, how would I look at other images (prints, slides are projected - not web images), where would I talk (ie. face-to-face) photography?
How about coming up to see us for a trial period (no obligation to join) - you will be warmly welcomed and we have had quite a few new members coming in recent weeks (we are about 25 in total). We meet on Wednesday evenings.
Here is a link to our website www.cwmbranphotosoc.org.uk. There are some of my images on there. I do hope that at least you will think about it.

Dave (Bennett)

PS I am trying to get into a bit of wildlife photography but do most subjects from time to time.

ndl0071
3rd October 2008, 12:45 PM
It is a shame you think this of camera clubs. Cwmbran is a world away from your perception. We very very rarely talk about kit - always the image. Although I know what kit some members use, with many I don't, and quite frankly I don't care.
I would not be nearly as good a photographer if I was not a member of a club. How would I get my images assessed, how would I look at other images (prints, slides are projected - not web images), where would I talk (ie. face-to-face) photography?
How about coming up to see us for a trial period (no obligation to join) - you will be warmly welcomed and we have had quite a few new members coming in recent weeks (we are about 25 in total). We meet on Wednesday evenings.
Here is a link to our website www.cwmbranphotosoc.org.uk. There are some of my images on there. I do hope that at least you will think about it.

Dave (Bennett)

PS I am trying to get into a bit of wildlife photography but do most subjects from time to time.

For many years I too have had preconceptions of camera clubs but decided to go along to my local club at the start of this season to see for myself, I have to say that I was very pleasantly surprised, I was made to feel most welcome by the 50 odd members.

I have now attended 2 meetings the first was a welcome back after the summer break and a presentation by Park Cameras and the second a digital workshop which was most interesting. There has also been a lot of excitement generated by the upcoming internal and external photo competitions.

Next week we are having a presentation by a local ‘high profile’ photographer.

What kit people use/own hasn’t even been mentioned, nobody is in the slightest bit interested! I really thought I would have to fight the Oly corner however the common interest is Photography and all people want to do is take photos and learn.

My advice to anybody would be to shake of your preconceptions and give it a go, after all what is there to lose? :)

Neil

benvendetta
3rd October 2008, 03:30 PM
Neil,
I am glad that you have echoed my thoughts.
Camera clubs, photographic socitities (call them what you will) are really great resources. The chance to take part in internal and external comptitions (with other clubs) can really improve your photography.
All this prompted me to start judging, which I have been doing for about ten years now - this is very rewarding in itself and the chance to look at loads of pictures helps the creative juices.

Dave

theMusicMan
3rd October 2008, 05:36 PM
Hi Dave

Many thanks for taking the time to provide such informative responses. I might give the Cwmbran club a try at some point, but you ask... where could you get feedback on your images, where could you see other images etc... all that and a lot more can be found on here and other forums too.

I only started photography a little over a year ago, and learned all I now know in that short time - which isn't very much I appreciate - but I picked up information from the experts on here and another photography site.

There are some classic photographs in the gallery on e-group taken y members on here, and loads more can be found also on Ians sister sites, DPNow and four thirds user. We have regular photo meet ups, and I have to say I have met a wonderful group pf people through this site. I have met David Bailey and Barry Lategan, as well as other eminent amateur photographers who are members on here. I have met officials of Olympus UK, and had the opportunity to photograph models in a studio set up. All courtesy of Ian and e-group.

I appreciate that a camera club allows one to meet people and share ideas, but this media also facilitates this too - more often than not with immediate answers to ones questions.

However... I might still come along at some point to say hi to you all at Cwmbran Camera Club.

benvendetta
3rd October 2008, 08:02 PM
Web based photography groups are not the same. There is much satisfaction to be gained from entering print competitions and receiving valuable critique from experienced judges. Participating in inter-club competitions is rewarding as well. The ability to 'talk' photography face to face is another big plus and get the chance to hear talks from well-travelled photographers and learn about post processing first hand from knowledgable PhotoShop users.
Given the choice between a web-based 'club' such as this one, or a 'bricks and mortar' one such as the one that I am a member of I know which I would choose.....
If I sound like I am banging on about camera clubs it is because I really believe that they offer things that you can never get on a site like this.
That's enough on this from me. My next post might include a photograph if I work out how to do it! LOL