PDA

View Full Version : Happisburgh lighthouse with passing squall.

Haisbro
17th February 2014, 04:43 PM
Time lapse using E620 and 14-54 lens.

http://youtu.be/ssNmQZMZ-o0

David

flying haggis
17th February 2014, 08:06 PM
filmed on Saturday by any chance?!

Haisbro
17th February 2014, 08:20 PM
Yes, about 3pm, there was a magnificent double rainbow that formed as the sun broke through on the clouds over the North Sea as it passed.

David

flying haggis
17th February 2014, 08:35 PM
I saw it as well, very wet then bright sunshine and, as you say a magnificent double rainbow.

PeterBirder
17th February 2014, 08:42 PM
Superb series which beautifully illustrates our current weather conditions.

Thanks for sharing.*chr

Haisbro
17th February 2014, 09:04 PM
I saw it as well, very wet then bright sunshine and, as you say a magnificent double rainbow.

They played a section of it on Look East tonight to go with story lines of wind causing damage.

David

PeterBirder
17th February 2014, 09:40 PM
They played a section of it on Look East tonight to go with story lines of wind causing damage.

David

Well done.

I was out and missed "Look East" this evening so thanks again for posting here.*chr

Zuiko
17th February 2014, 11:08 PM
Fantastic capture of very changeable conditions. *chr

timd1230
18th February 2014, 01:41 AM
Really like that - how long did it take to film and what interval were your images at ?

Thomas Westhead
19th February 2014, 11:18 PM
Hi David,

I just have to say I absolutely love this sequence it just captivates me so much, well done to you!

If at all possible could you post a few details on how you did this? Please.

I have an E620 and would love to give it a go!

Haisbro
19th February 2014, 11:59 PM
Thanks for the comments.

You will need sturdy tripod,

one of these

me Lapse Intervalometer Remote Timer Shutter for: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41mgy2d6bhL.@@AMEPARAM@@41mgy2d6bhL

E620 and grip depending on how long your sequence.

Compact flash card with large capacity.

Patience and anticipation/luck.

I am still very much in the early stages of learning and there are some very good sites out there with some amazing work but this is what i did.

I had been at the lighthouse for about an hour when i looked inland and saw that the about 5 mies away the cloud cover was at ground level and raining. This was heading my way and at speed so i set up the tripod in the shelter of the toilet block out of the worst of the wind and coming rain. I set the shutter to fire at every 2 seconds as the clouds were moving quickly. Used RAW. All camera settings were set to manual after taking reading from normal daylight. Set S to about 80, not above 100. Start exposures and wait whilst sheltering from rain. I couldn't believe my luck when the weather front passed over me and the Lighthouse that was framed in the viewfinder.

Put images into Lightroom and adjusted RAW file and synced all based on one. This made the darker section of the images a shade darker than original.

There is a plugin for Lightroom that then converts all the images into a movie the one that you have seen.

Err, thats it. Ty it.

David

Here is a link to a useful book that helped me.

http://www.learntimelapse.com/time-lapse-ebook/

A range of ND filters to keep the shutter speed under 100. A degree of blur of movement in each image helps to give the final movie a better look.

It is very hard keeping the camera still, weigh the tripod down. As you can see i did not do this in the Happisburgh clip.

If you are doing t/l then take 2 tripods and have a second camera set up for a different angle or perspective. I am a lapsed golfer and i pull a golf trolley loaded with all my heavy gear.

Carry cameras on my back. I have an E3 as well.

Wee man
20th February 2014, 12:40 AM
Great captures the trees took a bit of a hammering.

themosttogain
20th February 2014, 10:22 AM
Loved that. Something else added to the list to try! I was only a couple of miles up the coast at Walcott when that rolled in!

Haisbro
20th February 2014, 10:54 AM
Dramatic live weather changes can be seen approaching here

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=radar;sess=

David

Thomas Westhead
20th February 2014, 11:56 AM
Hi David,

Thanks Very much for the info very much appreciated! I may try it in the future.

photo_owl
20th February 2014, 12:14 PM
love the result *owl

like the 'er that's it' observation on the how I did it! *chr