PDA

View Full Version : Image Stabilisation working?

Jim Ford
13th December 2007, 10:03 PM
I'd feel happier if I could definitely tell that the IS was working OK on my E3!

I can take handheld shots with IS on, with my 350mm mirror lens that are sharp - but the particular shot may have been sharp anyway, without IS!

I also can't be sure that I can really see any difference in magnified 'live view', with and without IS on - what should I be looking for?

Does anyone know of a sure-fire way of telling that IS is really working?

Jim Ford

beardedwombat
13th December 2007, 10:07 PM
With live view on, press the IS button and hold it in. You will see the IS working for a few seconds. You'll also hear it whirring - nothing to worry about!

PeterD
13th December 2007, 10:16 PM
I'd feel happier if I could definitely tell that the IS was working OK on my E3!

I can take handheld shots with IS on, with my 350mm mirror lens that are sharp - but the particular shot may have been sharp anyway, without IS!

I also can't be sure that I can really see any difference in magnified 'live view', with and without IS on - what should I be looking for?

Does anyone know of a sure-fire way of telling that IS is really working?

Jim Ford

Jim,

IS definately works. See the numerous comments on here. Have a look also at the following and check the EXIF data in my gallery.

If it was not for the IS I could never have taken these shots.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/Aggregates_Wharf_Unloading_Sand.jpg

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/Aggregates_Wharf_at_night_2.jpg

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/PB111440_Resized.jpg

PeterD

R MacE
13th December 2007, 10:43 PM

I don't think the IS will be working unless you're using a 4/3rds lens. As far as I'm aware the camera needs to comunicate with the lens to enable IS even if IS is switched on.

PeterD
13th December 2007, 11:00 PM
I don't think the IS will be working unless you're using a 4/3rds lens. As far as I'm aware the camera needs to comunicate with the lens to enable IS even if IS is switched on.

I am not sure if this is strictly true. As I understand it, the stabalisation is achieved using gyros within the camera body and controls the position of the image sensor.

Within the documentation it deals with IS lens and camera IS. These lenses as far as I know are non 4/3. It recommends that when this combination is fitted, either the Lens IS or the Camera IS should be disabled.

PeterD

Jim Ford
13th December 2007, 11:45 PM
With live view on, press the IS button and hold it in. You will see the IS working for a few seconds. You'll also hear it whirring - nothing to worry about!

Hmm - just tried it. Nothing seems to happen for a few seconds, then there's slight 'clonk' and the image jerks once. It's not convincing, though - there's not a continuous adjustment process going on!

I must admit, I'm not confident with my E3. The first one stopped autofocusing completely 10 mins after I got it home and intermittently locked up.

Jim Ford

R MacE
14th December 2007, 12:30 AM
I am not sure if this is strictly true. As I understand it, the stabalisation is achieved using gyros within the camera body and controls the position of the image sensor.

Within the documentation it deals with IS lens and camera IS. These lenses as far as I know are non 4/3. It recommends that when this combination is fitted, either the Lens IS or the Camera IS should be disabled.

PeterD

As I understand it the camera needs to know the focal length of the lens and the distance to point of focus. I believe that the IS lenses referred to are the Pana/Leica lenses with In Lens IS.

Richard

PeterD
14th December 2007, 08:06 AM
Hmm - just tried it. Nothing seems to happen for a few seconds, then there's slight 'clonk' and the image jerks once. It's not convincing, though - there's not a continuous adjustment process going on!

I must admit, I'm not confident with my E3. The first one stopped autofocusing completely 10 mins after I got it home and intermittently locked up.

Jim Ford

Jim,

I am sorry to hear of your mis-fortune with the E3. I am also sorry that I mis-read your earlier comments and interpreted them as being generic rather than specific to the camera you own:o.

Have you tried taking low light, slow shutter, hand held shots with IS at IS1 and OFF. Taking a few such images and comparing them may confirm, or otherwise, that your IS is working.

PeterD

beardedwombat
14th December 2007, 08:19 AM
Sorry Jim, I missed the fact you were using a mirror lens. IS will definitely only work with a 4/3 lens. Do you have any kit lenses with your E-500 or E-3? If so try it with one of those. I find the IS works better than the VR on various Nikon lenses that I sold together with a D200 to fund my E-3. I am sorry to hear that this is the second E-3 you have had but don't give up on it, it's a great camera!
Cheers
Chris