PDA

View Full Version : May be a silly question... E-420 and the FL36/FL50

Gazza_DJ
1st October 2008, 06:33 PM
As we know, in low light situations the E420 has to strobe the pop up flash to illuminate the subject to be able to focus. When using an FL36 or FL50, is the pop up flash still able to pop up to help focus? Or does the flash also have an AF assist light or something, as I would have thought a flashgun could charge up quickly enough to strobe to help focus?

Help! :)

andym
1st October 2008, 06:46 PM
Gazza

The Fl36/50 has a red focus assist lamp on the body.Its much less annoying then the strobe of the pop up flash.

Gazza_DJ
1st October 2008, 06:48 PM
It does? Excellent! TBH that is enough of a reason to get one, let alone the extra reach and spread of the flash itself :D

I know what im getting next, thanks andy :t-up

photo_owl
1st October 2008, 07:09 PM
DJ - you can also use this AF assist with the flash disabled in low light situations where you want a little 'help'

brob108
1st October 2008, 08:06 PM
If you're looking to get one of the flashes may I recommend the FL50. The FL36 works fine but the recharge time can be really slow (and frustrating if you need to use the flash quickly).

If you can afford it then go for the FL50 - you'll be glad you paid a bit more for it in the long run.

Gazza_DJ
1st October 2008, 08:37 PM
Well, London Camera Exchange in Colchester quoted me £139.99 for the FL36, and £199.99 for the FL50. I havent had a look at web prices much, but these prices seem pretty good for a brick and mortar store. I am in two minds wether to go with a wireless one as well.

photo_owl
1st October 2008, 08:47 PM
get the R with the 420

theMusicMan
1st October 2008, 09:05 PM
I don't have experience with the FL-36, but I do own the FL-50 and find it an excellent flash unit. The only thing I'd wish for is an external (or stronger) power supply, as it does significantly eat up AA batteries.

photo_owl
1st October 2008, 09:14 PM
you can of course get the external power unit - but I don't believe it's cheap!

theMusicMan
1st October 2008, 09:17 PM
Hmmmm, thanks photo_owl, do you have a URL for this please? I wonder if a high quality external power supply would suffice?

brob108
1st October 2008, 09:42 PM
Hmmmm, thanks photo_owl, do you have a URL for this please? I wonder if a high quality external power supply would suffice?

Here's a link to Fotosense (who have a good stock of Olympus gear):

http://www.fotosense.co.uk/accessories/flash-cables/flash-add-ons/olympus-shv-1-high-voltage-flash-set-for-e-system.html

I think this is the unit you're looking for.

DekHog
2nd October 2008, 08:05 AM
Isn't this the way photographers always go? We've went from a 140 flash which is probably perfectly capable for what it would be used for, to FL-50R plus external power supply coming to a grand total of around 700!! :D:D

brob108
2nd October 2008, 08:22 PM
Isn't this the way photographers always go? We've went from a 140 flash which is probably perfectly capable for what it would be used for, to FL-50R plus external power supply coming to a grand total of around 700!! :D:D

Yup! Sounds about right! haha