PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Need Suggestion: Should I buy E-P1? (moved from EPL section)

jamaljan
12th February 2014, 09:31 AM
Hi..

So, am new to this mirror-less camera stuff. I had finalized to purchase E-PL5 when I got to know that a person in one of the local Pakistani forums is selling his used E-P1. He's demanding 190usd for it.

I was thinking if I can get a discount, like maybe get this camera for 150usd, is it a good choice?

I can get my hands dirty with it, explore its features and then maybe in a few months get the more expensive E-PL5 or if there is a newer version available.

I'm purchasing the camera to take pictures of my baby girl so is this camera a good choice? I'm currently using Sony Cybershot and Nokia 808 (41MP).

I also intend to make videos with it. Is the sound quality good? I've seen a few videos made by E-PL5, is the sound quality similar to it?

Please advise.

StephenL
12th February 2014, 09:34 AM
Hi and welcome. The E-P1 is a good camera, but it is first-generation. I don't know how prices are in Pakistan, but it sounds a little expensive to me.

jamaljan
12th February 2014, 09:42 AM
Hi and welcome. The E-P1 is a good camera, but it is first-generation. I don't know how prices are in Pakistan, but it sounds a little expensive to me.

Thanks for your quick reply Stephen. I know its quite an old model but I was thinking of getting this used model just to get accustomed to the system.

The prices of mirror-less system are higher in Pakistan, for example the E-PL5 is around 100usd more expensive when compared to the prices on amazon.

Anyways, what do you think I should pay for a used E-P1 as I can negotiate with the seller. Will the camera be useful for taking pictures of my little girl and can it make good video. (I currently have a 41MP Nokia 808 phone which also takes good pictures and can make 1080p videos, so am looking for something advanced then that...) OR should I forget about this and go with E-PL5.

photo_owl
12th February 2014, 10:02 AM
Thanks for your quick reply Stephen. I know its quite an old model but I was thinking of getting this used model just to get accustomed to the system.

The prices of mirror-less system are higher in Pakistan, for example the E-PL5 is around 100usd more expensive when compared to the prices on amazon.

Anyways, what do you think I should pay for a used E-P1 as I can negotiate with the seller. Will the camera be useful for taking pictures of my little girl and can it make good video. (I currently have a 41MP Nokia 808 phone which also takes good pictures and can make 1080p videos, so am looking for something advanced then that...) OR should I forget about this and go with E-PL5.

if you focus is on video I wouldn't go the E-P1 route.

the best things about the E-P1 were the fact that it was the start of the line, and it's looks (it was also pretty solid).

yorky
12th February 2014, 10:43 AM
the epld is a great camera. I would go with that.

jamaljan
12th February 2014, 11:17 AM
if you focus is on video I wouldn't go the E-P1 route.

the best things about the E-P1 were the fact that it was the start of the line, and it's looks (it was also pretty solid).

hi man...

I've checked the sample videos @ imaging-resource.com/PRODS/EP1/EP1A.HTM and they seem ok.

which other model would you recommend?

jamaljan
12th February 2014, 11:19 AM
the epld is a great camera. I would go with that.

hi man.. which is this camera? I googled but couldn't find olympus epld camera

Ian
12th February 2014, 11:32 AM
Are we talking E-P1 or E-PL1 as we are in the E-PL1 board :)

Ian

jamaljan
12th February 2014, 11:43 AM
Are we talking E-P1 or E-PL1 as we are in the E-PL1 board :)

Ian

Oops... my bad... am talking of Ep-1 in the E-PL1 section :confused:

jamaljan
12th February 2014, 11:45 AM
hi Ian.. can you please move my post to the relevant section. Thanks

StephenL
12th February 2014, 11:54 AM
Done - no worries!

Zuiko
12th February 2014, 02:07 PM
Focussing with the E-P1 won't be as fast or positive as the later models, the sensor is older and less refined (particularly at higher IHO) and it does not have the option of fitting an EVF later, if you so desire. Unless the price where you are is an absolute bargain I would avoid it in favour of a later model if you can afford it.

Ian
12th February 2014, 03:38 PM
Sound and video (you only get max 720p using motion JPEG and about 6 or 7 minute long clips at most) quality are not bad at all, better than a smartphone for sure. One issue is noise from the lens focus motor being heard on video sound tracks if the ambient noise is low and you are using an older lens, like the Mark 1 14-42mm kit zoom lens. Later zoom lenses with the MSC logo are much quieter (and faster) when focusing.

The E-PL5 is a very big step up from an E-P1 - smaller and better in almost every way, but the E-P1 remains a very competent camera.

Ian

jamaljan
12th February 2014, 04:47 PM
Sound and video (you only get max 720p using motion JPEG and about 6 or 7 minute long clips at most) quality are not bad at all, better than a smartphone for sure. One issue is noise from the lens focus motor being heard on video sound tracks if the ambient noise is low and you are using an older lens, like the Mark 1 14-42mm kit zoom lens. Later zoom lenses with the MSC logo are much quieter (and faster) when focusing.

The E-PL5 is a very big step up from an E-P1 - smaller and better in almost every way, but the E-P1 remains a very competent camera.

Ian

Thanks, I think then I'll got with E-PL5 unless someone can recommend me another good option.. :)

Ulfric M Douglas
12th February 2014, 05:43 PM
This thread is pointless without knowing what lens is coming with the camera ...
The aperture of the lens and the focus speed are important for photographing your own children at opportune times when the indoor light may be dim.
I use an e-pL2 with Sigma 30mmF2.8 and bounced flash,
or modern e-pM2 with Lumix 20mmF1.7 without flash.

My e-P1 is one of my 'best' cameras but is only used in daytime outdoors and with the nice 17mmF2.8 lens.
It simply does not do a proper job in dim light with that lens.

But ... buy it anyway, if it comes with 17mm lens and viewfinder! Great camera.

jamaljan
12th February 2014, 05:54 PM
This thread is pointless without knowing what lens is coming with the camera ...
The aperture of the lens and the focus speed are important for photographing your own children at opportune times when the indoor light may be dim.
I use an e-pL2 with Sigma 30mmF2.8 and bounced flash,
or modern e-pM2 with Lumix 20mmF1.7 without flash.

My e-P1 is one of my 'best' cameras but is only used in daytime outdoors and with the nice 17mmF2.8 lens.
It simply does not do a proper job in dim light with that lens.

But ... buy it anyway, if it comes with 17mm lens and viewfinder! Great camera.

Thanks man, the person has posted this ...

MODEL NO.PEN EP-1(12 MP Micro Four Thirds Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera with 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 Zuiko Digital Zoom Lens )
ACCESSORIES.CAMERA With 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 Zuiko Digital Zoom Lens ,LENS CAPS,CAMERA CAP,USER MANUALS,AV CABLE,SHOULDER STRIP,CAMERA BAG,AND 2GB CARD

Ulfric M Douglas
12th February 2014, 07:16 PM
The e-P1 is not good with the 14-42 kit zoom in my opinion.

skip it.

Alexco
19th March 2014, 11:32 PM
I had an EP1 was great little camera, I used it and loved it with the 17mm F2.8 lens.

I sold it because of the shutter lag, which I found annoying coming from being an SLR system user.

Little plug, anyone looking for a great case for the EP1, just listed one in the adverts section.

brianvickers
26th March 2014, 10:18 PM
Jamaljan....I must disagree regarding the 14-42mm.....I had one with my E-P1 and it was excellent....its a good performer in sharpness...possibly better than the 17mm pancake. The II version was the quieter version to use for video, but in my tests was not as good as the original version.....the test as linked below concur...
ephotozine have some comparison results for the 14-42 see this link... http://www.ephotozine.com/article/olympus-pen-14-42mm-mki-vs-14-42mm-mkii-16944

having looked at selling my E-P1 recently I would suggest a body is worth approx £70-90 and the lens around £40 secondhand.
I have the E-PL5 too...its a lot better but for me doesn't have the character of the E-P1...in fact I've been out this afternoon with the E-P1 just because I like using it and the images are good enough.

Ulfric M Douglas
27th March 2014, 09:08 AM
Brian he was specifically talking about indoor low-light with an e-P1 : surely the aperture of the kit zoom makes things difficult : it certainly does on mine.