PDA

View Full Version : Gimp

Ellie
30th September 2008, 06:11 PM
Does anybody use Gimp?

If so, can you tell me how to download the help files please?

I found them on the main site earlier today and tried to download them, but our internet was like a slug and several hours later I was only about half way through so gave up. Now I can't find the same page again. :o

I think there were four files, the first one seemed to be empty so I have a feeling I was either in the wrong place or doing something wrong.

The website now seems to be taking me to this page http://www.gimp.org/docs/ but if I click on the English link it's for online help documents rather than downloadable ones.

gno
30th September 2008, 06:57 PM
Hi Ellie,

Windows or Linux?

I had trouble on Windows until I got an exe file which self extracted into the right folder, but I seem to remember your using Linux at the moment.

This is the Windows link I used

http://sourceforge.net/project/downloading.php?groupname=gimp-win&filename=gimp-help-2-0.13-eng-setup.exe&use_mirror=garr

Regards

Gavin

Jim Ford
30th September 2008, 07:46 PM
If I recall you're using Ubuntu Linux. If you are, can't you download and install the docs automatically using the Synaptic Package Manager?

Jim

Ellie
1st October 2008, 09:29 PM
If I recall you're using Ubuntu Linux. If you are, can't you download and install the docs automatically using the Synaptic Package Manager?
Errm, probably. :o But I hadn't downloaded it to the Linus laptop, although I think it might be a good idea.

I've got my own computer back now (thanks to Novatech and our son) so downloaded Gimp to see if I could use it, because I've never, ever managed to get to grips with Photoshop. I couldn't get the "Help" pages to download though, so I'll see if that link works.

Thanks for your help *chr

Nick Temple-Fry
1st October 2008, 09:46 PM
Errm, probably. :o But I hadn't downloaded it to the Linus laptop, although I think it might be a good idea.

I've got my own computer back now (thanks to Novatech and our son) so downloaded Gimp to see if I could use it, because I've never, ever managed to get to grips with Photoshop. I couldn't get the "Help" pages to download though, so I'll see if that link works.

Thanks for your help *chr

Ellie - sorry for not replying to your first post - I thought you were installing on the Linux machine and playing with tar balls.

For Gimp 2.4 based systems the help files are here

http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/stable.html

See the bit labelled Additional Packages and note the instructions.

GIMP 2.6 has only been released today - I've not played with it yet.

Nick

Jim Ford
2nd October 2008, 08:30 AM
Jim

Sorry, I've just checked with the Synaptic Package Manager and whilst the help files are there, the docs aren't.

Jim

DekHog
2nd October 2008, 03:33 PM
Just a personal opinion, but I find it hard to see anyone who can't get along with PS getting along just dandy with Gimp...

Wouldn't Elements maybe be a better option if you're looking for something slightly simpler than PS?

Barr1e
2nd October 2008, 04:50 PM
Just a personal opinion, but I find it hard to see anyone who can't get along with PS getting along just dandy with Gimp...

Wouldn't Elements maybe be a better option if you're looking for something slightly simpler than PS?

Sorry to be tagging on to your posts - but I find Elements 5 pretty easy to use.

(Grandad - ahh :eek: :D)

Regards. Barr1e

DekHog
2nd October 2008, 05:51 PM
Sorry to be tagging on to your posts...

No problem, it makes a change having someone agree with me (wife, you know?)

:D:D

gno
2nd October 2008, 07:40 PM
Ellie,
I think if you already have PS you should stick with it.
The beauty of PS to my mind is that you don't need to know a lot to be able to do basic image manipulation and that you can learn new skills as and when you want them.
If you find you can't do something that you want to be able to do, I'm sure there are plenty of PS users here who would be happy to help.

Regards

Gavin

Nick Temple-Fry
2nd October 2008, 10:03 PM
Ellie

I've just installed the Help files again as part of trying GIMP 2.6

You need to download from this page

http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/stable.html

The download you need is the bottom line only

English language only: Download (21,536 kB)

And then just run the downloaded code - this should detect the folder in which you have set up The GIMP.

Note - the help files are currently for version 2.4, however most screens are pretty much the same, other than dialogues which has moved to be under Windows/Dockable Dialogues.

Nick

Jim Ford
2nd October 2008, 10:32 PM
If Ellie only wants the help files and she's running Ubuntu, all she needs to do is select them within the Synaptic Package Manager and they'll get downloaded and installed in the right location automatically.

Having done that, any future updates to the files will be notified and downloaded automatically.

It's all so much easier than navigating to web sites and downloading and installing manually.

Jim

Ellie
13th October 2008, 10:45 PM
I've managed to download them, thanks, it was remarkably quick.

I know I've said I can't handle photoshop. It's "one of those things" I think. I just get more and more irritated because it seems awfully fiddly, and the only real way of learning it is to go on a course, which I can't do.

I've got a copy of PS 7. I haven't got Elements, which might well be easier to use, but don't want to throw good money after bad. I thought that if I started from scratch with something else, tried to work my way through the help folders, learning something new each time I've got a spare moment or two I might make some headway.

I'm quite familiar with Photofiltre software I'll happily experiment with the Capture One 4, so maybe I'm not quite as daft as I seem. :o Photofiltre is so easy, almost idiotproof, but the basic one it isn't as refined as other programmes and I'm increasingly wanting to experiment a bit.

DerekW
14th October 2008, 01:24 AM
I have used Gimp many years ago and I would consider it as fiddly and comprehensive as PS - slightly different controls but essentially the same principles - if you need a course for PS then you also need a course for GIMP.

An alternative way is to use the features of Aperture for photo editing (but not for layer manipulation - for which you pass the image over to PS). It could be that Lightroom is similar in the way that you edit images.

To sum up - I do not think that Gimp is an easier way to the solution and you will have less people to give help. But will have spent less money.

Nick Temple-Fry
14th October 2008, 11:13 AM
I have used Gimp many years ago and I would consider it as fiddly and comprehensive as PS - slightly different controls but essentially the same principles - if you need a course for PS then you also need a course for GIMP.

An alternative way is to use the features of Aperture for photo editing (but not for layer manipulation - for which you pass the image over to PS). It could be that Lightroom is similar in the way that you edit images.

To sum up - I do not think that Gimp is an easier way to the solution and you will have less people to give help. But will have spent less money.

I think The GIMP wins, for me, in that it doesn't try to be too helpfull. It's very much a 'we provide the tools' you add the image and the imagination. So you just get a simple interface, access to commands that you can twist/wobble and blend, it hasn't once tried to help me or suggested that I do things its way.

Since the fundamentals of image manipulation are the same across any platform it is usually possible to deconstruct a photoshop technique and apply it to The GIMP.

There is an awful lot of on-line help from numerous sites.

Personally I prefer to occaisionally struggle with something I've got for free than 'fight' something that's cost me five hundred pounds (+ is going to ask for a couple of hundred each year to stay 'current').

But like most things - there is no 'right' answer, just what works for you.

Nick

OlyPaul
17th October 2008, 08:28 AM
I've managed to download them, thanks, it was remarkably quick.

I know I've said I can't handle photoshop. It's "one of those things" I think. I just get more and more irritated because it seems awfully fiddly, and the only real way of learning it is to go on a course, which I can't do.

I'm quite familiar with Photofiltre software .Photofiltre is so easy, almost idiotproof, but the basic one it isn't as refined as other programmes and I'm increasingly wanting to experiment a bit.

Ellie I've taught PS and Elements and for someone like you I would reccomend Elements 6 or 7 , it has three edit interfaces from which you can choose.

A guided edit where it virtually holds your hand and leads you through all the stages in image editing, a quick edit mode and the full edit mode and you can switch between them at will and in full edit mode it has most of the power of the full photoshop CS3 and more than PS7 but a lot easier to handle and understand..try the 30 day trial.:)

Ellie
17th October 2008, 03:32 PM
Personally I prefer to occasionally struggle with something I've got for free than 'fight' something that's cost me five hundred pounds (+ is going to ask for a couple of hundred each year to stay 'current').
Hmm, yes, I'm inclined to agree. If something has cost a lot of money I feel incredibly guilty if I can't realise its value, more especially now when things are quite tight financially.

I would recommend Elements 6 or 7 , it has three edit interfaces from which you can choose...try the 30 day trial
Thanks Paul, if I don't get anywhere I'll have a go with that :)

Scapula Memory
17th October 2008, 05:59 PM
Agree with Paul here about Elements. Also Ellie if you go on you tube and type in photoshop elements lessons there are quite a few videos showing you how to do basic and advanced stuff which you can run side by side the real program. Some magazine cover discs carry lots of elements video lessons as well which you can copy over to your computer. Why go on a course when the material is out there for use at your own leisure?

Elements takes all the plug ins as well, so expand it as you like.

Ellie
21st October 2008, 10:17 AM
Thanks. :)

There are some Youtube videos for Gimp too. It's beginning to make some sense at last