PDA

View Full Version : So far so good - understates my view

DerekW
13th December 2007, 08:45 PM
I have had the E3 since the end of November, and due to the bad weather I have not used it much until recently when I had three events or activities to photgraph for the charity - one a group shot of 7 people and 14 or so dogs, a graduation ceremony of the newly trained dogs and their new partners (mainly people in wheelchairs) and finally the puppy party where the puppy walkers and the puppies they are training have fun and games including the traditional picture including a chap in a beard and a red coat.

The technical results I have got have been most gratifying, remarkably sharp (thanks to the IS and lens), excellent detail and colour differentiation in blacks and dark blues eg jeans etc. and excellent results of black fur - a black Labrador often appeared as a silhouette until shadow highlights had had its way with the image with E1 images

A major benefit with the bigger display and easier manipulation of the image information to get the curves display has helped me to get it right in the camera instead of correcting it in PS.

For a large amount of the pictures I was using the VA-1 Angle Finder - for the situations I was in it surpasses the Live view.

Apologies for a non quantitative set of comments - from a bodger

emirpprime
13th December 2007, 09:40 PM
Glad you like it :D I still find it a remarkable beast every time I take it out.
Does the VA-1 fit without adapter etc?
Phil

DerekW
13th December 2007, 11:45 PM
Phil

The VA-1 originally included two adapters VA-A1 for the E1 (rotating fitment) and VA-A2 for the E300 (vertical fitment). The E3 needs the VA-A1 to be removed from the angle finder and replaced with the VA-A2.

The adapter unfortunately prefers to to be attached to the camera rather than the Angle finder body so it is a bit of a fiddle to remove the angle finder from the E3 as it becomes a 3 stage process
1 Remove Angle finder body
2 Remove adapter and attach to angle finder
3 Replace rubber surrounded eye piece.

emirpprime
14th December 2007, 11:28 AM
Thanks for explaining it .While fiddly, atleast it fits and they arn't making us buy a whole new set of accessories :D