PDA

View Full Version : Oly 9mm fisheye bodycap - why should I want one?

drmarkf
3rd February 2014, 11:25 PM
This new oddity seems like a cheap way to get a fisheye that's probably not as good as the Samyang and certainly not as versatile, or else an expensive way to be sure you've always got the wrong lens on the camera. Or is it just an expensive, heavy and fragile body cap? :mad:

What am I missing?

How easy is it to clean all the fingerprints and camera bag dust off the front element?

I've tried the Samyang fisheye and I'm rather tempted, but I certainly don't need two fisheyes.

Any suggestions and thoughts are most welcome!

pdk42
4th February 2014, 08:27 PM
The Samyang fisheye is first-class. Personally, I don't see the point in these body-cap lenses. They are slow, probably not the greatest IQ and whilst relatively cheap, they are maybe still almost 50% of the cost of the Sammy!

drmarkf
4th February 2014, 09:55 PM
The Samyang fisheye is first-class. Personally, I don't see the point in these body-cap lenses. They are slow, probably not the greatest IQ and whilst relatively cheap, they are maybe still almost 50% of the cost of the Sammy!

Yup, that's what I'm feeling at the moment, but I was just checking I wasn't missing something.

I'm saving for the (imminent?) f2.8 Oly 40-150, but if finances look OK at the end of the FY I'll award myself the Samyang as well. I tried it briefly during one of the New Year London Oly photo walks and was quite impressed.

byegad
5th February 2014, 07:54 AM
The Samyang 8mm lens is said to be good, I have a 'Rokinon' 7.5mm Fisheye which I like a lot. The effect is interesting and the lens has added something fun to my Photography. See some of my Fisheye shots at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/114693375@N07/sets/72157639867194394/
If you only want the very occasional fisheye shot then a Olly lens cap lens may be the answer.

As far as I know Samyang lenses come in a variety of 'makers' names and are identical to each other. Quite why Samyang make 14mm, 8mm, 7.5mm and 6.5mm fisheyes puzzles me. Maybe not all of them are available in all camera fittings, but in Mft you can certainly buy 7.5mm and 8mm!

Zuiko
5th February 2014, 10:50 AM
The body cap lens is fun and a bit of a gimmick. No way will it compete with a Samyang.

Having said that, it has dual purpose and takes up next to no room in the bag. With a Pen body it makes a very pocketable, compact and discrete package for street photography, although the 15mm cap may be better for that, depending on your style. The IQ won't be anything to shout about but in the right situation (maybe with grainy B&W or pinhole art filters) this could add to the mood. My very first camera, a Zeiss Ikonta, was distinctly soft at the edges so the body cap could perhaps emulate this type of nostalgia. Creative photographers will get some very nice shots with one of these. I would imagine it's a Marmite accessory - you'll either love it or hate it.

snaarman
5th February 2014, 11:32 AM
With a Pen body it makes a very pocketable, compact and discrete package for street photography .... The IQ won't be anything to shout about but in the right situation (maybe with grainy B&W or pinhole art filters) this could add to the mood..

Exactly. I am coming to terms with my new 15mm body cap lens this week. I can imagine using the 9mm body cap lens, though I'm not certain I actually want a fish-eye...

The idea is you fit it to the Pen*, and you get a working m4/3 that is almost point and shoot size. No AF, no delay, and very basic photography. However - yes it's soft at the edges and at f8 it is very slow indeed, so DoF tricks are almost impossible.

You have to think differently. This is "fun" lens that you can park on the camera if you want not-so-serious shots in the point and shoot vein. If you come across something serious then you need a good prime lens in your pocket. Otherwise just click away :-)

Pete

PS. When this 15mm is on the Pen, the VF2 viewfinder comes off. Using a viewfinder is taking things too seriously for this lens...

*I did put this 15mm on my E-M5 and it looked insulted, so I took it off again.

The Technician
5th February 2014, 11:36 AM
There's a review and sample images on Robin Wong's Blog http://robinwong.blogspot.co.uk/

Zuiko
5th February 2014, 01:24 PM
There's a review and sample images on Robin Wong's Blog http://robinwong.blogspot.co.uk/

He has got some surprisingly good images. You may not want to make exhibition prints from this lens but for web use..........*yes

ian p
5th February 2014, 02:02 PM
It's the only lens I use now.