PDA

View Full Version : Pre-ordered

pvasc
1st February 2014, 11:42 PM
Went to the touch and try at Birmingham Jessops. Ian somewhere in one of the threads said to wait and see what is to be announce in the coming months, it should please many people, (paraphrasing from a bad memory). Well I do not know how, but they have managed to put out a spectacular bit of kit. The M1 is great, but for those that can't afford it, I encourage you to look at the M10. Now in 2009 when Oly abandoned, (in my eyes) 4/3, and I thought the PENS were overpriced point and shoots, I was about to toss the whole mess in the river. Now I'm all in. I would never have dreamed that this system would evolve like this. I could tell you what the M10 brings, but it is MUCH shorter to say what it does not bring from the M1.

1) Sensor (it's the M5's)
2) Weather seals, (nice but do all of us really need them?)
3) 2 axis of stabilization gone (left/right+up/down) From the demonstration I got, no big loss
4) Battery, it's the PENS, (PL5), battery.
5) Veiwfinder (also out of the M5)
6) Fewer buttons, still 2 Fn's (well it is smaller and entry level)
7) No 2x2 lever, BUT the functionality is still there programmable to a button.
8) The accessory port for the flash and other goodies. (has pop up flash)

If I missed anything, (I'm going from memory), Ian please help out.

Focus peaking has been improved. Focus speed, yes you have heard it is faster than the M1, the Oly rep confirmed it. All I can say is it's pretty darned quick! And it brings a couple of new features too, Live composition, and another I don't remember.

A little off topic, but from what I heard the Photography Show in Birmingham for us Olympus folks is not to be missed. I don't think there will be the get in the hall and search for the Olympus stand to see what they don't have or didn't bring, like in the past. I expect you will see a proper display this year.

Oh I don't know if I can do this, but here goes. You can Pre-Order the M10 at Jessops no money down. I did.

Greytop
2nd February 2014, 12:28 AM
You can add the pop flash (handy).

Edit: Ah sorry I just re-read your post 'it is MUCH shorter to say what it does not bring from the M1' so ignore my flash comment.

Phill D
2nd February 2014, 07:16 AM
OK if the af is faster than the M1 does it have cross focus points?

pvasc
2nd February 2014, 07:24 AM
OK if the af is faster than the M1 does it have cross focus points?

Well I don't know exactly. It is CDAF only, (M5 sensor), not sure if that type of AF uses cross focus points. But there are 81 focus points, big and small. I think it will be interesting to see when somebody does an actual side by side test with a M1. Maybe Ian did when he had his demo?

Phill D
2nd February 2014, 07:26 AM
Ah ok maybe it doesn't have the extra points of the M1. It will be interesting to see how things develop.

pvasc
2nd February 2014, 07:27 AM
The demonstrator I played with had the third generation 14-42mm on. I should have put the 45mm on, at least then I would have an idea of how much faster focusing it was compared to the PL5.

pvasc
2nd February 2014, 09:59 AM
Didn't put it up against my PL5, but went to a comparative site on the web. The M10 is 3mm wider, and a couple of mm taller than the PL5....Without the VF-4 attached. So my first impressions were right PL5 size with an EVL & of course pop up flash.

pvasc
3rd February 2014, 10:35 AM
That is the function, (one of them), I forgot. 2sec, 12sec, and CUSTOM self timer modes.

Iansky
3rd February 2014, 10:42 AM
Great to see Jessops taking an active part in promoting Olympus in store, they appear to be going from strength to strength since Peter Jones took the reigns.

It is also good to see that Olympus have introduced a way in for those who want something slightly more than a point and shoot that offers a great sensor, interchangeable lenses and good versatility at a price point lower than the current OMD range.

pvasc
3rd February 2014, 10:46 AM
It was explained to me that Olympus is taking a special interest in Jessops, putting in a little extra effort there, ie the M10 and 3rd gen 14-42 kit is exclusive to Jessops at £599, so I was told.

Olybirder
3rd February 2014, 11:17 AM
It would be interesting to have confirmation from Olympus as to whether it uses cross AF points or not. I suspect it does, if the sensor is the same as that on the E-M5. It will then be even more interesting to hear how the focusing accuracy compares to the E-M1, which still seems a little unreliable to me.

Ron

bilbo
3rd February 2014, 11:21 AM
It was explained to me that Olympus is taking a special interest in Jessops, putting in a little extra effort there, ie the M10 and 3rd gen 14-42 kit is exclusive to Jessops at £599, so I was told.Well the kit is available for pre-order at WEX and SRS - but at £699!

pvasc
3rd February 2014, 11:30 AM
No wrong 14-42. It's the last generation 14-42, not the new pancake.

bilbo
3rd February 2014, 11:35 AM
No wrong 14-42. It's the last generation 14-42, not the new pancake.
Ah! My mistake.

EDIT: Although I must say that the WEX site is showing pictures of the new lens in the image gallery...

Olybirder
3rd February 2014, 11:46 AM
Although I must say that the WEX site is showing pictures of the new lens in the image gallery...
Yes, they even explain the differences between the older 14-42 and the new one. I am confused.

Ron

Gwyver
3rd February 2014, 05:42 PM
It would be interesting to have confirmation from Olympus as to whether it uses cross AF points or not.
Ron

Ron,
The E-M10 (like the E-M5) only uses CDAF. Therefore 'cross points' -which are functionality specific to PDAF - do not occur in this camera.

pvasc
4th February 2014, 07:52 AM
WHAT?
They are in stock in the USA! At getolympus.com

ringneck
6th February 2014, 04:48 PM
A quote from the newsletter.....

A major disappointment for some will be the absence of E-M1 phase-detect autofocus support to enable normal focus performance with Four Thirds DSLR lenses. These lenses can of course be used on the E-M10 via an MMF adapter but autofocus performance will not be optimal.

Sorry too many words for me to grasp what it means...what DOES it mean ?

Keith

pvasc
6th February 2014, 04:59 PM
A quote from the newsletter.....

A major disappointment for some will be the absence of E-M1 phase-detect autofocus support to enable normal focus performance with Four Thirds DSLR lenses. These lenses can of course be used on the E-M10 via an MMF adapter but autofocus performance will not be optimal.

Sorry too many words for me to grasp what it means...what DOES it mean ?

Keith

The M-10 is an entry level camera, it has the E-M5 sensor, CDAF only, so it will focus just like the last gen PENS, and OM-D E-M5. BUT they did tweak it auto focus a bit to make it faster and more accurate so I'm told. But I wouldn't expect it to focus the 4/3 lenses any better than the M5.

ringneck
6th February 2014, 05:34 PM
So can I use my Four Thirds DSLR lenses on it with an adaptor.
And they will/will not AF.

Keith

pvasc
6th February 2014, 05:40 PM
So can I use my Four Thirds DSLR lenses on it with an adaptor.
And they will/will not AF.

Keith
Yes you can and they will AF like they were on the OM-D E-M5.

I think I kind of mis-spoke, I think this is an entry level camera, I think that is what I heard, but after seeing it and what it actually has and does "I" would say it was more of a enthusiast level, (think E-30). It's only missing maybe 8 things form the M1. I think you get a whole lot for the money.

ringneck
6th February 2014, 08:15 PM
Cheers....Think I might see if there's one to look at in the local Jessops and see if I can handle such a small one.....mostly used to a C**** and when I do use the E 500 it seems so tiny so this will be even more minute.
The spec sounds great though and being able to get the use out of my existing lenses is a real bonus.

Keith

pvasc
7th February 2014, 07:19 AM
You JUST missed it! The touch and try was last Saturday at Jessops. Now you have either Manchester or London / Watford (SRS), or the Photography Show at the NEC.

Size 3mm wider that E-PL5, 2mm taller, not much bigger. I was too amazed and already sold on it to check to see the face to rear main dial clearance while looking through the viewfinder. Probably no worse than spinning the dial on the back of the PL5 while looking through the VF-4, and I got used to that.

dornblaser
21st February 2014, 03:57 AM
I received one about 2 weeks ago (USA). I was attracted to it because of the slightly smaller size and the new pancake zoom (still pre-ordered). This may be called an entry level camera but it is very nice and compares very favorably to my E-M5. I purchased this camera to replace a PEN as a have with me always camera either with the new zoom or the O17. It is a really solid, nice camera. I bet that it is very popular.

Post-Script: Olympus needs to upgrade their Wi-Fi connectivity so that full size images are transferred.

pvasc
25th February 2014, 01:21 PM
The OM-D E-M10 has arrived, opening shutter count 197....well tested? AF seems pretty quick and accurate, tested inside with window light. I'll know more soon. Before it came the weather forecast was for sun, after I put the battery in they now say showers.

pdk42
25th February 2014, 01:37 PM
Sunshine and showers can give really dramatic cloudscapes - go and drain that battery!