Pete

andym
29th September 2008, 01:26 PM
Got mine 2nd hand for 220.00.

Great lens.

Who's_E
29th September 2008, 04:24 PM
Possible slightly off subject.

I was using both the 50mm and Sigma 105mm at the weekend to take some spider shots.

On photo review I noticed that the 50mm really is super sharp and the Sigma is also very sharp. In fact they were, in my somewhat limited "field" test, broadly comparable around the point of interest.

What really made the difference was the aperture I used. I see that DPReview has a funky moveable chart thingy that shows lpph for given apertures. My spider shooting confirmed this. I generally stick to f8 if possible and took most of the photos there. I did use f13 and f22 because the spider was quite large and I needed the extra depth of field. However, using f22 absolutely destroyed the sharpness on both lenses, presumably diffraction and constructive/destructive light wave interference.

(This was on the E3 with no noise filter, ISO 100, normal picture mode and Hoya filters on the front of both lenses)

My conclusion: Great lens, the Oly 50mm, same with the Sigma 105mm. Just mind your aperture.

Ian
29th September 2008, 04:46 PM
Possible slightly off subject.

I was using both the 50mm and Sigma 105mm at the weekend to take some spider shots.

On photo review I noticed that the 50mm really is super sharp and the Sigma is also very sharp. In fact they were, in my somewhat limited "field" test, broadly comparable around the point of interest.

What really made the difference was the aperture I used. I see that DPReview has a funky moveable chart thingy that shows lpph for given apertures. My spider shooting confirmed this. I generally stick to f8 if possible and took most of the photos there. I did use f13 and f22 because the spider was quite large and I needed the extra depth of field. However, using f22 absolutely destroyed the sharpness on both lenses, presumably diffraction and constructive/destructive light wave interference.

(This was on the E3 with no noise filter, ISO 100, normal picture mode and Hoya filters on the front of both lenses)

My conclusion: Great lens, the Oly 50mm, same with the Sigma 105mm. Just mind your aperture.

The sweet spot is around f/6.3, so anything smaller than that will erode sharpness due to diffraction.

I found f/22 usable with the Sigma 105, see here:

http://fourthirds-user.com/2007/08/sigma_105mm_f28_ex_dg_macro_lens_review.php/b

Ian