PDA

View Full Version : spares

sapper
13th December 2007, 03:56 PM
The weather seal ring from my 14-54mm lens has stretched and come adrift so I ring Oly UK for a replacement. I have a local camera technician who can fit it for me. Oly say they cannot supply so I ring Luton Cameras, they cannot supply either.
Anyone know where I can get a spare?
Oly UK, if you are reading this, I am not a happy bunny, over 400 for a pro lens and I cannot get it repaired without it going to portugal or Japan??
Dave

Ian
13th December 2007, 06:54 PM
The weather seal ring from my 14-54mm lens has stretched and come adrift so I ring Oly UK for a replacement. I have a local camera technician who can fit it for me. Oly say they cannot supply so I ring Luton Cameras, they cannot supply either.
Anyone know where I can get a spare?
Oly UK, if you are reading this, I am not a happy bunny, over 400 for a pro lens and I cannot get it repaired without it going to portugal or Japan??
Dave

Hi Dave, I will see if I can get someone at Olympus to have a look at your post. If it's of any comfort, in my experience the Olympus lens repair turnaround is quite quick - about a week.

Ian

sapper
13th December 2007, 08:28 PM
Hi Dave, I will see if I can get someone at Olympus to have a look at your post. If it's of any comfort, in my experience the Olympus lens repair turnaround is quite quick - about a week.

Ian
Thanks Ian.
It is not surprising that Oly do not command a big following among the Pro's, having to send a lens away for such a simple repair job is a pain. I remember seeing Canon and Nikon tents at events servicing cameras. Never saw an Oly one.
Grrrrrrrrr.

Jim Ford
13th December 2007, 09:54 PM
You can buy 'O' ring kits which consist of reels of rubber of various diameters, a mitreing jig and 'superglue'. The key here is superglue - it's an excellent adhesive for rubber, and done properly the bond will be as strong as the parent material.

If you can't get an Oly spare, you could either shorten and bond the stretched 'O' ring to make it fit, or get a larger one of the correct cross section (eg from a plumber or domestic appliance spares supplier) and again cut and bond it to fit.

Jim Ford

sapper
13th December 2007, 11:27 PM
You can buy 'O' ring kits which consist of reels of rubber of various diameters, a mitreing jig and 'superglue'. The key here is superglue - it's an excellent adhesive for rubber, and done properly the bond will be as strong as the parent material.

If you can't get an Oly spare, you could either shorten and bond the stretched 'O' ring to make it fit, or get a larger one of the correct cross section (eg from a plumber or domestic appliance spares supplier) and again cut and bond it to fit.

Jim Ford

Thanks for this Jim, it may come to it that I have to do it myself.

Dave.