PDA

View Full Version : Guess What I'm Doing This Weekend?

Zuiko
27th September 2008, 07:32 PM
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/EASTER_ON_THE_BEN.jpg

That's right! Scanning slides....:(

I'd rather be hillwalking, but I've still got my memories.

Is this the "perfect" memory?

Cheers,

theMusicMan
27th September 2008, 08:05 PM
WOW John... you sure had me fooled then, I thought you were taking a helicopter ride to the top of some French Alp peak and ski-ing down the slopes...

OK... slide scanning, it'll do! :)

Nick Temple-Fry
27th September 2008, 09:02 PM
It certainly has a lovely colour and tone - and I suppose any shot taken up there (unless you aimed directly at your own feet) can't help but be dramatic.

Now what I really want to see is the scene re-shot as a digital image. Any chance of popping out and doing it tomorrow?.

Nick

Barr1e
27th September 2008, 09:05 PM
Hi John -

What a great shot.

Regards. Barr1e

shirley
28th September 2008, 04:01 PM
John, your landscapes are stunning. When are you going to run a landscape workshop, I for one would pay to come along, I would love to learn how you do what you do?
Keep posting them, we dont see enough.
Shirley

mike_j
28th September 2008, 05:17 PM
I have had a dedicated scanner in the past but now use an Epson flatbed which gives good results but both systems are painfully slow.

At a camera fair I was tempted to buy a traditional optical slide copier (M42 thread) to use on the E510, anyone any experience of doing this?

Also I have seen a digital slide copier advertised in the Daily Telegraph, name Zennon or similar I think - a simple fixed focus camera I suppose, again - any comments on this?

Ian
28th September 2008, 07:20 PM
There is a bit of magenta in the clouds :D

Seriously, looks like neg film? What are you using to do your scans with?

Ian

Zuiko
28th September 2008, 08:53 PM
There is a bit of magenta in the clouds :D

Seriously, looks like neg film? What are you using to do your scans with?

Ian

Hi Ian,

Magenta cast? With Kodachrome 64? Surely not!

One of the "endearing" properties of Kodachrome was the shift in colour bias as it aged. Shoot it too fresh and you'd end up with a green cast, because it was deliberately manufactured that way to compensate for the shift towards magenta as it aged. Shoot it too near it's expirey date and there was every chance the shift towards magenta would have become stronger than the built in green compensation. This problem was later rectified with the introduction of Kodachrome professional emulsion, which was released from the factory at it's optimum colour balance and remained that way as long as it was correctly refrigerated. I later learnt that you could successfully refridgerate the "amateur" emulsion to slow down the shift to magenta, provided you allowed it to mature to its aim point stored at normal temperatures first.

It has been noted on some film forums that the magenta cast of Kodachromes seems to be exagerated when scanning, particularly with Epson scannners - and I have a V500! :rolleyes:

I think, if I look close, there is also a slight magenta cast in the shadows on the snow. But I'm still going to use it in the gallery on my web site! :D

It's easy to get all sentimental about film (and I do) but oh, what I would have given for a Micro Four Thirds digital camera in those days. If I remember correctly, I'd left the OM1 behind that day to save weight and this picture was taken with an Olympus 35 RC compact rangefinder with fixed 42mm Zuiko lens. it was a lovely little camera which often accompanied me into the hills and provided me with a number of published images. The lens was a cracker and the focal length perfect for msot my requirements. Can anyone start to see why I'm so excited about the prospect of an Olympus rangefinder style Micro Four Thirds camera with 20mm prime lens? :cool:

Zuiko
28th September 2008, 08:56 PM
It certainly has a lovely colour and tone - and I suppose any shot taken up there (unless you aimed directly at your own feet) can't help but be dramatic.

Now what I really want to see is the scene re-shot as a digital image. Any chance of popping out and doing it tomorrow?.Nick

I wish! :D

Zuiko
28th September 2008, 08:59 PM
I have had a dedicated scanner in the past but now use an Epson flatbed which gives good results but both systems are painfully slow.

At a camera fair I was tempted to buy a traditional optical slide copier (M42 thread) to use on the E510, anyone any experience of doing this?

Also I have seen a digital slide copier advertised in the Daily Telegraph, name Zennon or similar I think - a simple fixed focus camera I suppose, again - any comments on this?

Sorry Mike, I have no knowledge or experience of either of these methods - can anyone else help?

Zuiko
28th September 2008, 09:01 PM
John, your landscapes are stunning. When are you going to run a landscape workshop, I for one would pay to come along, I would love to learn how you do what you do?Keep posting them, we dont see enough.
Shirley

Hmmm, it's one thing doing it, quite another teaching it! I'll have to give that one some thought......:eek:

Thanks for the compliment!

*chr