PDA

View Full Version : Next Step (Moved from Looking for improvement)

maccabeej
8th January 2014, 11:37 AM
Hi
Having recently retired, I decided one of the things I might do was go for a LRPS (I have not yet joined). To that end I have selected a number of pics as candidates and put them in a separate gallery on my website (link below). If any one has any useful comments or criticisms or feel that any or all are not good enough please don't hold back.

http://http://www.jim-mccabe.co.uk/p1032503949 (http://www.jim-mccabe.co.uk/p1032503949)

alfbranch
8th January 2014, 11:55 AM
Show us the pics then!

I do not need an explanation on how to look at your photos I have not misunderstood something I just do not see your photos here.

Graham_of_Rainham
8th January 2014, 12:24 PM
Well done Jim, there are some excellent images in the set.

The "Souk in Marrakech" looks as though the top left corner of the roof is drooping, giving a distorted appearance to the picture. I'd use PS Distort to make it "look right".

I've photographed Sam a few times at various Olympus events and really don't think this one presents her at her best. Her shoulders look too wide (square on to the camera), a tighter crop off the bottom will improve this. I personally dislike the hair over one eye look...

"Dresses" has two (one light and one dark blue) dresses that break the pattern. One pattern break would have worked better, but rearranging dresses for a picture is often frowned on by stall holders.

I'd put a bit more contrast into the "Leadenhall Market 6am Saturday" image to give it more of a toned B&W look and give it some depth.

Your certainly well on track with the others, but as with all judged assessments, personal likes and dislikes will influence the opinion and outcome.

Very best of luck.

maccabeej
8th January 2014, 12:49 PM
Show us the pics then!

I do not need an explanation on how to look at your photos I have not misunderstood something I just do not see your photos here.

Hi
I had trouble getting the liink right. It should work now.
Apologies

maccabeej
8th January 2014, 12:53 PM
Well done Jim, there are some excellent images in the set.

The "Souk in Marrakech" looks as though the top left corner of the roof is drooping, giving a distorted appearance to the picture. I'd use PS Distort to make it "look right".

I've photographed Sam a few times at various Olympus events and really don't think this one presents her at her best. Her shoulders look too wide (square on to the camera), a tighter crop off the bottom will improve this. I personally dislike the hair over one eye look...

"Dresses" has two (one light and one dark blue) dresses that break the pattern. One pattern break would have worked better, but rearranging dresses for a picture is often frowned on by stall holders.

I'd put a bit more contrast into the "Leadenhall Market 6am Saturday" image to give it more of a toned B&W look and give it some depth.

Your certainly well on track with the others, but as with all judged assessments, personal likes and dislikes will influence the opinion and outcome.

Very best of luck.
Thanks Graham
I will play around and see if I can improve them.

alfbranch
8th January 2014, 12:57 PM
Hi
I had trouble getting the liink right. It should work now.
Apologies

You obviously misunderstood I am not trawling round the internet looking for your photos. If you do not wish to show them here I will not be looking.

benvendetta
8th January 2014, 01:10 PM
Well done for thinking about giving this a go. A few members of my club achieved their LRPS recently (one last summer) and by all accounts it was a nerve wracking expeience. I gather that you need to read the rules very very carefully and follow them equally closely.
This is something that I have been thinking about for a while too. I will hopefully retire either this year or next year (coming up 60 in June) or at the very least go part time and getting my LRPS is on the list of things to do.
I haven't had a chance to look at your selection, but I will try to some time soon.

benvendetta
8th January 2014, 01:11 PM
You obviously misunderstood I am not trawling round the internet looking for your photos. If you do not wish to show them here I will not be looking.

I think that posting a link to a specific set of images like this is more appropriate than posting them on this site. There are rather a lot as you may have discovered................

IainMacD
8th January 2014, 01:12 PM

Come on Alf, clicking one link is a long way from trawling the internet, give Jim a chance! *yes

Jim, I like the look of your images, but I am on the train using my tablet (large images not loading) so will have a proper look when at home and feedback then.

alfbranch
8th January 2014, 01:15 PM
I think that posting a link to a specific set of images like this is more appropriate than posting them on this site. There are rather a lot as you may have discovered................

Come on Alf, clicking one link is a long way from trawling the internet, give Jim a chance! *yes

Jim, I like the look of your images, but I am on the train using my tablet (large images not loading) so will have a proper look when at home and feedback then.

He is not new and I am not looking through his gallery and trying to offer advice.

Here is a quote from another thread too.

One bit of advice for posting in the critique board here is best limit yourself to one shot per thread so the focus can be on that one picture.

Ian

benvendetta
8th January 2014, 01:30 PM
He is not new and I am not looking through his gallery and trying to offer advice.

Shouldn't LRPS submissions be viewed as a panel as well as individually?

sponner
8th January 2014, 02:04 PM
I cannot comment on the suitability for LRPS, but they seem a strong group of images to my untrained eye.

Bikie John
8th January 2014, 02:09 PM
As Dave says, any RPS distinction submission is viewed and assessed as a complete set. I'm not sure how this works with projected images, but with prints the guidelines will tell you how they will be laid out - I think for LRPS it's two lines of 5. So as well as choosing good photos, it is well worth thinking about how they will sit together. I did it with a set of sports photos so I made sure that I had at least a couple where the action flowed right-to-left to go on the right-hand end. This was harder than you might think, I found when trying to choose for the panel that I almost always shot left-to-right without even thinking about it.

The RPS occasionally run what I think they call "advisory days" where you can take sample photos along - I would definitely suggest going to one as you can sit in on their comments on everybody's photos to get a better idea of what they are looking for. As Graham says it is down to the judges and ultimately subjective but you can stack the odds by making sure that your photos are well presented and the panel is coherent. Then as long as the individual images are reasonable - which the ones of yours I looked at are - I'd say you've got a reasonable chance of an "L".

There is a tricky balance to strike - on the one hand you are supposed to demonstrate variety but on the other hand it helps to show a consistent style. I'm not really sure how to reconcile those!

Good luck ... John

StephenL
8th January 2014, 02:09 PM

That's precisely why Jim posted a link, not the photos. If you don't want to look at them, then don't. There's no need for brusqueness or rudeness.

Zuiko
8th January 2014, 05:10 PM

Then why do you bother to provide a link to your Flickr? If you can't help Jim with what he is proposing to do I suggest you leave this thread.

art frames
8th January 2014, 05:21 PM
Jim

I have no experience in putting together a panel like this. But as an artist I have experience at putting together a portfolio and hanging shows. Which is about creating a single entity, that reflects different techniques and subjects, but that has been made by one person. A show that feels like it belongs like that and yet allows each piece to be examined and criticised in and out of that context.

So if your photographic panel is similar (and forgive me if it isn't) then it is about getting the mixture of congruity and difference, overall impression and detailed image quality more level.

What I get at the moment from all of these pictures is the difference (and the ability to critique them on a technical level) but not a sense of why these images mattered to you, how your individuality is expressed through them and therfore why they should matter to me as a whole.

If photography is similar to art then putting together a portfolio is about telling the world about you and how you feel about it, how you see it and what matters, rather than showing people that you can make images like everyone else makes.

So I would start at that top level. Why (apart from the desire to get the award) do these images matter to you, are some more significant than others, can you make that more apparent. Then you can look at either the technical qualities or shoot some more.

I would say that on a technical appraisal many of them are very good but having sat with a panel and individuals going through my portfolio (drawings, paintings and prints - as photography has always been how I relax not how I chose to express myself) I really feel that is just a part of the judging process.

A lot of the advice from others has been helpful. I hope this helps but perhaps in a slightly different way.

Ulfric M Douglas
8th January 2014, 05:27 PM
I defend Alf's post and his attitude is completely justified on a photography forum.

The O.P. should have posted at least one image to draw the viewer and illustrate his thread.

Having a go at Alf with your "leave the thread" crap is a ****** attitude.
yes I swore.

Ian
8th January 2014, 05:27 PM
OK, guys - please give Jim a break - yes Alf has a point in that this thread really doesn't fit this critique board but I think the message could be delivered a little more sensitively.

On a more general note, we do encourage everyone to post there images in the forum simply because posting links alone will likely result in fewer people following through and that won't be good for the poster or the viewer.

Ian

Ian
8th January 2014, 05:33 PM
OK, I have moved this thread to the Exhibitions (etc.) board. It's not ideal but I think it lives better there.

Of course we have an RPS luminary as a member here - Norman Smith - hopefully he can provide some advice on an LRPS submission.

I'm considering it myself :)

Ian

Zuiko
8th January 2014, 05:43 PM
I defend Alf's post and his attitude is completely justified on a photography forum.

The O.P. should have posted at least one image to draw the viewer and illustrate his thread.

Having a go at Alf with your "leave the thread" crap is a ****** attitude.
yes I swore.

Ulfric, there's no point typing a word that's going to be censoured by the forum software, I still don't know what you think of my attitude and I don't really care! :p

Northern bluntness ("By Eck we call a spade a spade oop 'ere laddie") seems to have gone up a gear in this thread, must be something to do with having to share tin bath in t' back yard with whippets at this time of year! :D

Anyway, I will be commenting on Jim's selection later. My only problem with how he has presented it is that the pictures are a little small on his site. :)

Bill Gordon
8th January 2014, 06:08 PM
Hello Jim
I not only looked at the portfolio that you posted but spent the time to look at some of your other work at Zenfolio and all that I can add to this is that your work is just stupendous.....I am old and not really able to get around as I used to so I don't get the full use of my OMD5 but I do enjoy watching all the people on this forum enjoying their hobby to its' fullest. This forum very seldom has any "difference of opinion" but that isn't bad...it is good and I hope that you achieve the rank of whatever you are after in the world of photography and keep on shooting!!

sapper
8th January 2014, 06:40 PM
Shouldn't LRPS submissions be viewed as a panel as well as individually?

Yes Dave, that is correct.

sapper
8th January 2014, 06:48 PM
I too am going for an LRPS. I did attend an advisory day some time ago, but only as an observer.
I will be attending an advisory day later in the month, but this time taking my panel with a few spare. The panel will be looked at by an assessor and commented on.
When I get my imac back from Apple, in for a replacement optical drive, I will post my panel for your comments.

StephenL
8th January 2014, 07:05 PM
Yes Dave, that is correct.
And therein lies the greatest hurdle, I suspect.

I did try many years ago, but it was a digital submission in the early days of their inclusion. Plus I was unable to attend an advisory session as then we lived 4 hours drive from the nearest location! Might try again sometime, but I have the deepest respect for those who have already succeeded!

David M
8th January 2014, 07:08 PM
Do you still get an automatic LRPS if you've got a photo qualification?

Ulfric M Douglas
8th January 2014, 07:59 PM
...I still don't know what you think of my attitude and I don't really care! :p

Northern bluntness ("By Eck we call a spade a spade oop 'ere laddie") seems to have gone up a gear in this thread, must be something to do with having to share tin bath in t' back yard with whippets at this time of year! :D
:D
No worries.

sapper
8th January 2014, 08:08 PM
Do you still get an automatic LRPS if you've got a photo qualification?

Yes, not sure what qualifications count, think an A level counts toward an LRPS.

David M
8th January 2014, 08:20 PM
Many years ago I worked out I could have something like 13 letters after my name had I not been to cheap to pay the various annual subscriptions.

StephenL
8th January 2014, 08:51 PM
Many years ago I worked out I could have something like 13 letters after my name had I not been to cheap to pay the various annual subscriptions.
When I worked for a Local Authority I used the letters MCMLI after my name. No-one ever twigged it was the year of my birth. :D

David M
8th January 2014, 09:42 PM
When I was part of a group protecting a Peregrine nest site I used to sign the watch log BA. When asked is I was a BA I explained it stood for Bad Attitude. :D

Norman Smith
9th January 2014, 01:54 AM
Interesting thread .. Bikie John is right on the button with recommending the Advisory Days, these are essential to understanding the general presentation and yes it is a nerve wracking experience. Take at least 15 prints along to try to get 10 as a panel after the advice you get. The next LRPS advisory day I know of is coming up in London on the 15th Jan but you must pre-book. Check out http://www.rps.org/region/London/events
I'm not going to comment on individual photos atm but for LRPS you need to show a technical ability with the camera, compositional skills and some variety of subject matter. i.e. 'artistic blur' is a bit risky at this level, save that for your ARPS! Good Luck!

StephenL
9th January 2014, 07:46 AM
Norman, at this level how much importance is given to the relationship, if any, between the photos?

maccabeej
9th January 2014, 11:21 AM
Thanks for all the feedback. Mostly useful:D
The reason I did not post them directly is so that they could be looked at together, I don't about anyone else but when asked the old question is this better in Mono or colour I find it difficult if I can't compare them on the same screen.
I would defend Alf's right to say what he thinks and as for Ulfric being forthright that's so unlike him!

Norman thanks for the thoughts, I did go along to an advisory day as an observer a couple of years ago and can see the value of them, I hadn't thought about blurred movement like that I had thought it would show technique but ...

Obviously I need to think a little more thanks for the thoughts. I will come back when I have done so.

Now for that list my wife has:eek:

MarkG
9th January 2014, 01:02 PM
Just my personal thoughts as an amateur.

PIC1 LLANDUDNO
Is the sea precisely horizontal? Looks a little up to the left, but may be my monitor.

PIC 7 -table top. I don't feel there is enough of interest in the "in focus" bit in the middle to differentiate from the rest of the table top.

PIC 8 - HINGE. Similarly, it all blends in a bit into the rusty orange colour. I'd prefer more detail of the rusty box edge.

PIC10 - Basilica Cistern. Seems to be tilting to the left a bit, particularly far left column.

PIC16 - Leadenhall Market. The flags look out of character with the rest of the building which can't really be helped, and the shuttered shop on the left takes away from the lit window behind. Also seeing the flags in B&W looks odd to me. Perhaps colour them?

Norman Smith
9th January 2014, 01:38 PM
Norman, at this level how much importance is given to the relationship, if any, between the photos?

The order is very important as the judges look for a 'balanced' panel of 10 pics. When they are displayed as 2 rows of 5, one above the other, you will appeciate that it is not a good idea to have say pic 1 and 5 as head shots looking right, out of frame. Also, a symmetrical composition tends to look good as a centre pic. You will get the idea as soon as you lay out the images and something doesn't 'look right'.

In terms of subject matter, they shouldn't all be the same e.g. not all 'birds on sticks' because that doesn't demonstrate a range of camera handling ability, just that you can shoot with one technique. You should take a look at some successful panels - hope this link works for you http://www.rps.org/advancedsearch?keywords=LRPS+Panels&portfolios=on&search=Search

Ulfric M Douglas
9th January 2014, 06:33 PM
and as for Ulfric being forthright that's so unlike him!

You just earned a proper look at your ridiculously tiny examples.

I like "desert Morocco"

"FTU Olympus Table TopComp-5" has a very strange filename is is just some orangey black stuff.

"Hinge" is just a blooming hinge with limited DOF : like we all take a picture of sometime or other. It has nothing to distinguish it from other DOF hinges. :|

Love "coffee", love it.

"Sam"'s hair is nice.

I feel "Basilica" and "Trees" are similar. Yes, I know they're not, but they feel similar to me.

Love "Leadenhall" and the greybrown tone.

In all the panel there are three orangey ones and not a single blue sky ... I like a bit of blue sky.

tomphotofx
9th January 2014, 09:56 PM
I am proud to say I obtained my ARPS at the first attempt, the more prepared you can be is so important in the presentation of your panel. "Fail to plan, Plan to fail" springs to mind. Attend the Advisory Days and take on board the sound advice that is offered.

Here are some links you will find invaluable including an interactive guide and a selection of successful panels.

http://www.rps.org/resources/downloads/DistinctionLicentiateshipguidance_v01.pdf

http://www.rps.org/resources/downloads/LRPS_Handbook_March_2012.pdf

http://www.rps.org/advisory_zone/Advice-from-the-LRPS-Lead-Chair

http://www.rps.org/advisory_zone/LRPS-Interactive-Guide

http://www.rps.org/advisory_zone/Successful-Print-Panels

Hope you find this useful and I wish you luck with your panel.

I haven't commented on your individual photos as I thought it would be more beneficial to you to read and digest the above links of how you can obtain a successful submission.

All the best.

Tom*chr

Ralph Harwood
10th January 2014, 12:54 AM
Thanks to tomphotofx for posting the links above - I've just had a scan through the picture panels on the bottom link - looks like I have a fair way to go yet:eek:!

Cheers,

Ralph.

Ralph Harwood
10th January 2014, 01:00 AM
A big thankyou to Norman Smith for his link too, which I have just spotted further up. It's great to have something to aspire to!

Norman Smith
10th January 2014, 01:26 PM
Thank you. To add to the above we frequently show successful Panels at the RPS premises in Greenwich, if anyone is local enough. Check out the FB page for the 'RPS Cave' to see what is on. Currently we are showing medal and ribbon winning images from the Digital Imaging Special Interest Group.
Keep up with The Cave at https://www.facebook.com/RPSCave
Directions to The Cave: http://www.rps.org/region/London/Directions-to-The-Cave

shirley
11th January 2014, 12:58 PM
Hi Jim,

Assuming that you will be presenting prints, remember that the images will be viewed from normal viewing distance and then the judging panel will view them close up before a decision is made. This means that it is very difficult to judge the quality of printed images when they are digital and why a visit to an advisory day, as Norman has suggested, is a very wise move. Once you have been to a day often the advisor will offer help one to one, enabling you to hone and refine your panel over a period of time.

Remember that the cohesiveness of the panel will also be judged, when I looked image at no.2 on top row and the 10 image on row two seemed to jump out of the panel and be 'different' to the others. Strong(er) images, either in content or colour, can be included in your panel but sit better in a central position.

I wish you all the best, I found the process hard work, fun, frustrating and motivating all at once. Definitely worth the effort.

Shirley

maccabeej
13th January 2014, 04:28 PM
Hi Everybody and thanks for the help. I have had a few more thoughts, but my mind is being dragged away by the prospect of having an angiogram on Friday. Will come back when I have had time to ponder properly. Thanks also for the links.

Phill D
13th January 2014, 08:46 PM
Hope all goes well Jim.

Norman Smith
7th February 2014, 12:34 PM
The kind folks at RPS HQ have provided a brand new website, which means that most of the direct links I have mentioned in this thread are now broken! That was the bad news, the good news is that the new site, at http://www.rps.org/ is more easily navigable and more useful.

Enjoy!

Phill D
7th February 2014, 08:41 PM
Link isn't working at the moment Norman. But thanks for the info when it does. Would love to have a go myself but I think I need to get some more experience and retire first.

Norman Smith
7th February 2014, 11:18 PM
The power of the internet, don'tcha miss it when its gone!! Definitely a prob at the server end.