PDA

View Full Version : 3rd party camera grip for E-510

j.baker
12th November 2007, 11:41 AM
I know that other forums have already posted news about 3rd party camera grips, but I thought they I would let you my thoughts and a mini review.

I purchased the E-510 camera kit grip from ownuserand I selected the cheapest delivery method. To my surprise the grip arrived with 10 days. The packaging very good ,with the grip box within an additional shipping box.

Now the instructions are in very bad English (a bit like my own writing), but are understandable and with lots of images. Fitting the grip to the camera was very easy. Remove the battery cover, and insert into the clip on the grip. This allows you to remove the grip and still use your batteries. This is a good design.

You then align the screw with the camera base and turn the dial. When the grip is attached it feels very firm. Next you plug the cable into the USB socket in the back of the camera. This is one of my minor gripes. The cable it slightly too long and partially obstructs the right battery compartment.

Next insert the batteries into the battery clips. Insert clip into grip. Select the correct power setting (A). You can now turn the camera on.

The grip provides two buttons which activate the shutter, including the half depress for focusing. You can optionally disable the extra buttons.

My second minor gripe is that the colouration of the grip differs front the main E-510 body. This does not affect the functionality, itís just cosmetic. My wife did not notice the difference until I have pointed this out.

My third minor gripe, is the front rubber grip sometime starts to come loose. Just pushing it back on fixes the problem.

Overall the grip kit is great. I have asked the manufacturer, ownuser, if they are going to make one for the E-400 and they informed me that it is due on sale soon. I will be getting one for my (the wifeís) E-400.

You can get the grip from www.ownuser.com.tw

I can upload some images of the E-510 with the grip if requested.

Ian
12th November 2007, 11:51 AM
I know that other forums have already posted news about 3rd party camera grips, but I thought they I would let you my thoughts and a mini review.

I purchased the E-510 camera kit grip from ownuserand I selected the cheapest delivery method. To my surprise the grip arrived with 10 days. The packaging very good ,with the grip box within an additional shipping box.

Now the instructions are in very bad English (a bit like my own writing), but are understandable and with lots of images. Fitting the grip to the camera was very easy. Remove the battery cover, and insert into the clip on the grip. This allows you to remove the grip and still use your batteries. This is a good design.

You then align the screw with the camera base and turn the dial. When the grip is attached it feels very firm. Next you plug the cable into the USB socket in the back of the camera. This is one of my minor gripes. The cable it slightly too long and partially obstructs the right battery compartment.

Next insert the batteries into the battery clips. Insert clip into grip. Select the correct power setting (A). You can now turn the camera on.

The grip provides two buttons which activate the shutter, including the half depress for focusing. You can optionally disable the extra buttons.

My second minor gripe is that the colouration of the grip differs front the main E-510 body. This does not affect the functionality, itís just cosmetic. My wife did not notice the difference until I have pointed this out.

My third minor gripe, is the front rubber grip sometime starts to come loose. Just pushing it back on fixes the problem.

Overall the grip kit is great. I have asked the manufacturer, ownuser, if they are going to make one for the E-400 and they informed me that it is due on sale soon. I will be getting one for my (the wifeís) E-400.

You can get the grip from www.ownuser.com.tw

I can upload some images of the E-510 with the grip if requested.

Hi John,

Some pictures would be great - much appreciated!

Ian

j.baker
12th November 2007, 12:08 PM
Here are 5 images

j.baker
12th November 2007, 12:09 PM
and one more

R MacE
12th November 2007, 01:16 PM
Hi John,

thanks for the information and especially for the images. :)

Richard

Barr1e
12th November 2007, 06:04 PM
John -

Very interesting. It certainly gives the impression that it is a camera for the big boys and girls.
Can you detail the benefits the grip gives and has offered you please?

Regards. Barr1e

j.baker
12th November 2007, 07:06 PM
apart from making the camea looking more pro, you can use the grip for portrait shooting with the extra shutter controls. You also have two battery slots.

Ian
12th November 2007, 09:09 PM
It can improve the balance of the camera, especially when using a heavier lens and/or a flash on top. But it is more to lug around too :)

Ian

j.baker
12th November 2007, 10:46 PM
Yes it does increase the weight and this is something that must be taken into account. However when used with telephoto lenses I find that it helps to reduce camera shake. IS can only do so much!

The number of shots that I can take is increased and this is useful when on trips and events.

BTW, I have no relationship with ownuser other than I purchased the grip.

rolfw
13th November 2007, 11:20 AM
Thanks for the report, looking at one of these for my E500 and the price looks pretty competitive. :)

CaptainD
20th November 2007, 10:01 AM
Does the grip result in faster focusing due to the use of multiple batteries in the grip?

I have been thinking about buying one of these grips for my E-510but I have to admit I keep changing my mind! Thanks for the interesting information and pictures.

j.baker
20th November 2007, 10:22 AM
The focusing is still done on the camera. The grip adds two extra shutter buttons and provides extra battery power (with a DC input socket as well).

It will not improve the focusing time.

CaptainD
20th November 2007, 10:44 AM
John,

Thanks for the reply which is very interesting. I had noticed that the battery grip on my E-1 helped with the focusing speed. I noticed this especially when I used the 50-200mm lens.

Best regards

Chris

j.baker
19th December 2007, 10:18 AM
I have just been informed that ownuser have finished the E-400/410 camera grip. It comes in two versions The E4 and the E4R.

The main difference between them is the E4R comes with a remote control.