PDA

View Full Version : FL-300R flash intensity as slaves.

Dave in Wales
3rd January 2014, 06:52 PM
What I know........not much.

FL-300R can be used as a slave and it's intensity varied.

What I don't know.......quite a bit.

If two FL-300R's are used, can their flash intensity be varied individually.

How?...Guessing here, by assigning each to a group, how does the camera, E-M1, know the difference?

If anyone has a linky explaining how to operate 'Olympus Wireless remote control Photography' it would be nice.

Ross the fiddler
3rd January 2014, 11:02 PM
What I know........not much.

FL-300R can be used as a slave and it's intensity varied.

What I don't know.......quite a bit.

If two FL-300R's are used, can their flash intensity be varied individually.

How?...Guessing here, by assigning each to a group, how does the camera, E-M1, know the difference?

If anyone has a linky explaining how to operate 'Olympus Wireless remote control Photography' it would be nice.

By slave, I think you would mean using the FL300 flash in RC mode in which case each flash is set to its own group, i.e. A for one & B for other other & then on the E-M1 each group is set individually with a ± amount of output power. Page 22 of the FL300r manual (https://support.olympus.co.jp/jp/support/dlc/archive/man_fl300r.pdf) shows this quite well, found here (http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/download/manual/pen.cfm#flash) for download.

Also, in answer to your question on how does it know the difference, the cameras commander flash sends out a coded pulsed pre-flash before each exposure which is what each flash in each group responds too, firing at the small delay after the shutter curtain is opened (or pulsed though out if Super FP mode was selected on the camera, but does not seem to be compatible with this flash, on looking at the manual). I assume you would be using the FL-LM2 flash on your E-M1 to trigger this FL300r flash.

Another point to note, when a flash is set to Slave Mode, it will fire from any other flash source, immediately.