PDA

View Full Version : X-Rite Coloemunki - User feedback ?

CaptainD
26th September 2008, 05:57 PM
I would be extremely interested to read any comments about the X-rite Colormunki calibration system. I am considering buying one in a effort to improve the colour match of my prints. I already calibrate my monitor and I am seriously looking at producing my own printer profiles for the first time. Any thoughts on this or any other monitor and printer profiling devices would be most welcome indeed.

Cheers

Chris *chr

Jim Ford
26th September 2008, 06:57 PM
I've got a Colormunki.

It produces useable profiles OK, but I get the feeling that the commercial one I had made before I bought the Colormunki produces better results.

I'm using 3rd party inks (OCP dye) in a CIS on an Epson Stylus Photo 895 and am still experimenting with various papers, and am undecided which produces the best results.

The unit is easy to use, but sometimes has problems reading a particular colour swatch.

Jim

CaptainD
26th September 2008, 07:27 PM
Dear Jim,

Thanks very much for your comments, it is one of my concerns about the system that it seems to get a lot of comments saying that it produces useable results rather than good or even excellent ones. I know that one of the quoted advantages is that the output prints only have 50 colours to save time but that worries me that the interpolation between these will not give optimum results.

Cheers

Chris *chr

Jim Ford
26th September 2008, 07:43 PM
You can refine a profile by feeding it images that you typically take. It will take the colours from those images and you then print and scan the new colour swatches. You can repeat this process any number of times, so in effect you can produce profiles from hundreds of colours, biased towards those that you use most.

Jim

CaptainD
27th September 2008, 08:11 AM
Dear Jim,

Thanks for the tip on refining colours with the colormunki which I certainly push me a little closer to buying one. As I mentioned, I am just a little concerned about the reviews I have read not quite giving it a ringing endorsement as it is quite expensive.

If you had time would you be kind enough to share what made your mind up to purchase one? I have looked at the Syder 3 Studio but I just thought that as the colormunki was a newer product it might just have the edge over it.

If only you could have a play with things before buying!

Thanks a lot for your comments

Chris *chr

Jim Ford
27th September 2008, 10:58 AM
Thanks for the tip on refining colours with the colormunki which I certainly push me a little closer to buying one. As I mentioned, I am just a little concerned about the reviews I have read not quite giving it a ringing endorsement as it is quite expensive.

If you had time would you be kind enough to share what made your mind up to purchase one? I have looked at the Syder 3 Studio but I just thought that as the colormunki was a newer product it might just have the edge over it.

I bought the Colormunki mainly because of the reputation and experience that Xrite has - also (as you mentioned) because it's a new product hopefully with newer technology.

May I make a suggestion?

The normal process of producing a profile is for the software to generate swatches of colours that are output to the printer for subsequent scanning. The first set of swatches appear to be 'standard' ones, but the second seem to depend on the result of scanning the first set.

The setup is intended to produce profiles on the printer which is attached to the computer on which the software is running - BUT it seems to be possible to 'remote profile' by printing to a PDF file instead and sending that to the user that needs a profile. He then prints the swatches and sends the printed output by post to the user with the Colormunki, to be scanned. This is repeated for the second set of swatches.

I have 'PrimoPDF' installed on my computer, so I can direct printer output to a PDF file instead of a printer. If you like, we could try 'remote profiling' as described above.
If you email me on jaford/dot/at/watford53/dot/freeserve/dot/co/dot/uk I'll send you a PDF file of the first set of swatches, with my postal address for return of your printed output. I'll then scan your printed output and email you the second PDF file. When you return the printed output of the second PDF file, I'll scan that to generate the profile for emailing to you. If you need the profile to be further refined, I could take (say) a 'typical' image from your gallery, to generate another set of swatches for you to print and return.

Jim