PDA

View Full Version : UK Prices

Stephen
13th December 2007, 12:52 AM
Hello all,
Just been checking out the web prices for the E 510 and can not belive the USA price, Amazon.com have the E-510 + 14-42 lens for $495.00! current exchange rate $2.05 to £1.00 no cash back or rebates, the cheapest price I have found in the UK is £549.00, less £100.00 cash back! still almost half the price in the USA, its almost cheaper to fly to America to buy, surely that can not be right! I really want a E-510 to replace my much loved E-500 as my hands shake like a school boy in a strip club, hope its age related, so who is taking us for a ride the British Goverment, Olympus, or both, I suspect both, why cash back? why not just take the price off the camera! in general most lenses etc are 1/2 to 2/3 the UK price in the USA, in all fairness this is true of both Nikon and Canon, but I don't find that any justification - rip off Britain!
P.S anyone going to the states in the next couple of weeks!

PeterD
13th December 2007, 01:40 AM
Hello all,
Just been checking out the web prices for the E 510 and can not belive the USA price, Amazon.com have the E-510 + 14-42 lens for $495.00! current exchange rate $2.05 to £1.00 no cash back or rebates, the cheapest price I have found in the UK is £549.00, less £100.00 cash back! still almost half the price in the USA, its almost cheaper to fly to America to buy, surely that can not be right! I really want a E-510 to replace my much loved E-500 as my hands shake like a school boy in a strip club, hope its age related, so who is taking us for a ride the British Goverment, Olympus, or both, I suspect both, why cash back? why not just take the price off the camera! in general most lenses etc are 1/2 to 2/3 the UK price in the USA, in all fairness this is true of both Nikon and Canon, but I don't find that any justification - rip off Britain!

Stephen,

Don't forget that if you were to purchase from the US, Duty would be charged on import to to GB. This would likely bring the price to around that you find in the UK. Perhaps that tells a tale.

PeterD

Dick Bowman
13th December 2007, 08:23 AM
Something else to remember is that US prices always exclude tax.

So if you're tempted to get someone to purchase (in the flesh) on your behalf, or to make the purchase while you were visiting there'd be an extra percentage to be added.

It doesn't explain the entire difference - NY sales tax about 8% (extra), UK VAT 17.5% (included) - but it's a part of the difference.

Also, it's a lot easier to take your faulty purchases back to a UK shop if you live in England, than it is to take them back to a New York shop if you live in England.

emirpprime
13th December 2007, 08:47 AM
I think the most often quoted reason is 'market forces'. Basically the US market is bigger and more competitive. So the manufacturers sell lower to get market share to give them more profit overall. Or something. It has also been said that they get less profit in the US for the same reasons, so make it up in other regions, including EU and Australia where the market will sustain high prices.
It is unfair. Especially with world wide warranties. I think there was/is an EU investigation into it, hopefully one day they will sit up and take notice.
Phil

art frames
13th December 2007, 08:52 AM
Hello all,

Several people have tried this supplier recommended by John here http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showpost.php?p=1886&postcount=4

I haven't yet but have made a note for when I need something.

I have always hated the difference in prices with the US for as long as I can remember, certainly back to when I bought LP records!

hope this helps you get a better price. :)

Peter

Ian
13th December 2007, 09:43 AM
I think the most often quoted reason is 'market forces'. Basically the US market is bigger and more competitive. So the manufacturers sell lower to get market share to give them more profit overall. Or something. It has also been said that they get less profit in the US for the same reasons, so make it up in other regions, including EU and Australia where the market will sustain high prices.
It is unfair. Especially with world wide warranties. I think there was/is an EU investigation into it, hopefully one day they will sit up and take notice.
Phil

I have written several editorials on this matter and I think there are several factors that contribute. Although the US has a larger total market than the UK, Europe is bigger than the US, so I don't really buy that.

Import duties paid by manufacturers in Europe might be higher than in the US and certainly the tax at the point of retail sale is much higher - maybe 2-3 times higher. But most Americans have to pay a lot more local taxes, more than we pay in Council Tax.

But I every time I think about this issue, I return to the suspicion that the electronic goods market isn't competitive enough in the UK. Dixons/Currys/PC World, Comet and Argos have a huge slice of the market and can happily charge a big premium over other suppliers - and maybe force manufacturers to give them a big discount when ordering their supplies too. I have recently acquired a flat screen LCD TV; it costs £850 in the high street but you can order it on the Internet for £600.

I'm all in favour of paying a moderate premium to reward knowledgable and helpful high street businesses, but I don't see that reward being earned by many high street multiples, with the possible exception of John Lewis.

Just my opinion of course!

Ian

PeterD
13th December 2007, 11:39 AM
Another factor to take into account, though minor in relationship with others, is the current exchange rate.

PeterD

Ian
13th December 2007, 06:17 PM
Another factor to take into account, though minor in relationship with others, is the current exchange rate.

PeterD

Doesn't that work the other way around? Imports are cheap with a strong pound.

Ian

DTD
13th December 2007, 06:20 PM
Hi Stephen – I've sent you a private message.

theMusicMan
13th December 2007, 07:28 PM
Several people have tried this supplier recommended by John here http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showpost.php?p=1886&postcount=4

I haven't yet but have made a note for when I need something.

I have always hated the difference in prices with the US for as long as I can remember, certainly back to when I bought LP records!

hope this helps you get a better price. :)

PeterMy daughters E-510 arrived today, as well as my 70-300mm lens. It's a beauty, and even if this causes an issue with the £100 cashback offer and Olympus UK don't honour this, I still purchased the E-510 twin lens kit at a price that is currently £235 cheaper than the currently listed online price at Park Cameras.

OK, if I have problems with the camera then some may think it's additional postage costs back to the USA... alas not. My invoice is from a UK company - to which it will be returned if it develops a fault.

There may be some confusion over eligibility of cashback offers from Ian (Kerso), but I am telling you quite honestly now, he is a genuine dealer, who delivers, all models, lenses, filters etc, at highly competitive prices. I paid £465 for my daughters E-510 Twin Lens kit!!! I challenge anyone to beat that!!

emirpprime
13th December 2007, 09:36 PM
Don't forget Oly warranties are world wide now, so even if you do ahve a problem, Oly themselves won't quibble with dealing with you. Or they shouldn't!
And congratulations, thats quite a bargain!
Phil

beardedwombat
13th December 2007, 10:05 PM
I received my FL-50R from Ian Kerso today, £263 inc postage and Paypal surcharge. I have registered it on the Olympus.co.uk website without problem so hopefully the warranty will stand if a fault develops. Its a great flashgun incidentally, very fast recycle time and the remote control feature works well. Contrary to what it says in the destruction manual you don't seem to have to have the remote sensor facing the camera, in fact I had it flashing away quite happily with the camera facing one way and the sensor facing in the opposite direction! Obviously it will depend on circumstances and in this instance they were fairly close together in a smallish room but I'm impressed.
Chris

theMusicMan
13th December 2007, 10:08 PM
As I do a lot of portrait photography I now need to consider if I need to upgrade to the FL-50R. I have the FL-50 but will have a think about upgrading to the R version once I read a few more reviews regarding its performance. So far though, it seems to be an excellent companion to the E-3.

flying haggis
27th December 2007, 12:27 PM
http://www.parkcameras.com/ProductDetails/mcs/productID/6581/groupID/8/categoryID/93/v/fae91831-f7eb-4634-9f5f-3ba2df9f6a90

a whole 99p off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cygnusx_1
14th January 2008, 10:55 PM
I decided to buy my E510, 14-42mm and 50-200mm from the states and once dollars had been converted to pounds the total cost was £843!. The only gripe was import tax (another stealth tax by the current government), but still saved hundreds on uk prices.

theMusicMan
14th January 2008, 11:07 PM
Did you contact Ian for a price..?

Cygnusx_1
14th January 2008, 11:17 PM
No, I did my own checking on the web.

theMusicMan
15th January 2008, 07:17 AM
FYI: I bought an E-510 twin lens kit for my daughter for Christmas for £465. Not sure how much more the 50-200 would have put the price up though.

Melaka
15th January 2008, 07:55 AM
I decided to buy my E510, 14-42mm and 50-200mm from the states and once dollars had been converted to pounds the total cost was £843!. The only gripe was import tax (another stealth tax by the current government), but still saved hundreds on uk prices.

Could you tell us how much the tax was please?

yorky
15th January 2008, 10:06 AM
A few years since, I bought a Nikon from 7day shop. It arrived and worked fine and was a considerable ammount cheaper than in this country. The gaurantee was to send it back to them and they would sort it out. I never had a problem so can't say how it worked buti t was an American import. In this country I have delt with both UKDIGITAL who are in Clitheroe and are usually cheaper than Park Cameras etc and Fotosense of Bolton. The service from either is impecable and their prices are very reasonable. I just got a lot knocked of a Epson 2400 and a Benbo tripod. They had good deals on on Oly Flash guns last time I looked.

Ian
15th January 2008, 10:29 AM
Could you tell us how much the tax was please?

This would normally be VAT @17.5%

One problem with buying from the US is that your camera has a nasty 'e-Volt' logo on it! :rolleyes:

Ian

Wreckdiver
15th January 2008, 06:47 PM
I've got my eye on a 7-14mm lens in the US. It would be £250 less than the UK full price (even when postage is accounted for). Now do I take a gamble? if I get clobbered for import duties and tax it would make the exercise pointless.

Decisions.........

Steve

Jim
15th January 2008, 07:18 PM
I've got my eye on a 7-14mm lens in the US. It would be £250 less than the UK full price (even when postage is accounted for). Now do I take a gamble? if I get clobbered for import duties and tax it would make the exercise pointless.

Decisions.........

Steve

Steve,

You should try Ian Kerso, removes the worry with import tax and us delivery.

PeterD
15th January 2008, 07:26 PM
Steve,

You should try Ian Kerso, removes the worry with import tax and us delivery.

I would second that.

PeterD

shenstone
15th January 2008, 09:47 PM
This would normally be VAT @17.5%

One problem with buying from the US is that your camera has a nasty 'e-Volt' logo on it! :rolleyes:

Ian

Erm what model... My 510 didn't ... Don't you like business trips to NY..!:o

I seemed to come back with some secondhand cameras and the purchase documentation went 1st class!;)

Oops :D

Regards
Andy

BillPhotography
15th January 2008, 10:03 PM
Hi folks

I just checked on the HM Customs website, and found the following regarding import duty payable.

Digital still camera (as opposed to video), No duty payable, with 17.5% VAT payable.

Camera lenses 6.7% duty, plus 17.5% VAT.

Interestingly, Fim still cameras have duty charged at 4.9%.

I'm not sure why Digital cameras have no duty to pay. Maybe someone else knows more than I do?

Either way, considering the exchange rate with USD, it would seem some prices in USA may still be better even with duty- if you go the legit route! ;)

By the way thanks to all who helped last week, I have now recieved my brand spanking new Grip for my E-3. The E-3 is a great camera to have in Glasgow (lots of rain).

B.

theMusicMan
15th January 2008, 11:00 PM
Contact Kerso on here, he will do a great price and deliver from UK...

Wreckdiver
16th January 2008, 09:48 AM
Contact Kerso on here, he will do a great price and deliver from UK...

I have sent Ian Kerso a mail, I wasn't aware of him.

Thanks to all.

Steve

theMusicMan
16th January 2008, 10:01 AM
I have sent Ian Kerso a mail, I wasn't aware of him.

Thanks to all.

Steve
Cool... tell him I sent ya! :)

His name is Ian Kerr, and his online name is Kerso. :D

Wreckdiver
16th January 2008, 10:02 AM

B.

This makes the lens I was looking at too expensive then. £807 plus £54 duty plus £141 VAT plus carriage £36 = £1038. About the same as can be bought here in the UK.

There is one for sale (New US import) already in the UK for £960 inc postage.

Hmm.... more decisions

Steve

Wreckdiver
16th January 2008, 10:56 AM
Cool... tell him I sent ya! :)

His name is Ian Kerr, and his online name is Kerso. :D

Cheers John, I also managed to track his shop down on eBay via Google. I'll tell him you sent me ;)

Steve

Photocracy
17th January 2008, 12:37 AM
I have written several editorials on this matter and I think there are several factors that contribute. Although the US has a larger total market than the UK, Europe is bigger than the US, so I don't really buy that.

Import duties paid by manufacturers in Europe might be higher than in the US and certainly the tax at the point of retail sale is much higher - maybe 2-3 times higher. But most Americans have to pay a lot more local taxes, more than we pay in Council Tax.

But I every time I think about this issue, I return to the suspicion that the electronic goods market isn't competitive enough in the UK. Dixons/Currys/PC World, Comet and Argos have a huge slice of the market and can happily charge a big premium over other suppliers - and maybe force manufacturers to give them a big discount when ordering their supplies too. I have recently acquired a flat screen LCD TV; it costs £850 in the high street but you can order it on the Internet for £600.

I'm all in favour of paying a moderate premium to reward knowledgable and helpful high street businesses, but I don't see that reward being earned by many high street multiples, with the possible exception of John Lewis.

Just my opinion of course!

Ian

I agree with you Ian. Sometimes Britain is a little too cozy with few companies prepared to upset the apple cart. Take car prices in the 1990s. Britain had a huge price premium compared to Europe with no satisfactory explanation from UK retailers. Their coziness was brought to an end by the internet which enabled people to see what was really going on and buy direct from European dealers. In the end, car prices plummeted. I know of U.S. companies operating here who are astonished they are able to charge the same price in Sterling as Dollars back home. Britain is known internationally for rich pickings. Dixons Store Group bought the French internet camera supplier Pixmania for a good reason; people were getting too good a deal without them. Just like the car price fixing, if everyone circumvents UK price-coziness enough, the big companies will feel the pinch and start yielding on prices.

yorky
17th January 2008, 01:36 PM
Couldn't agree more. Rip off Britain still exists.

dlinney
17th January 2008, 04:09 PM
Hi folks

I just checked on the HM Customs website, and found the following regarding import duty payable.

Digital still camera (as opposed to video), No duty payable, with 17.5% VAT payable.

Interestingly, Fim still cameras have duty charged at 4.9%.

I'm not sure why Digital cameras have no duty to pay. Maybe someone else knows more than I do?

Either way, considering the exchange rate with USD, it would seem some prices in USA may still be better even with duty- if you go the legit route! ;)

By the way thanks to all who helped last week, I have now recieved my brand spanking new Grip for my E-3. The E-3 is a great camera to have in Glasgow (lots of rain).

B.

Don't forget that you have to add the shipping costs before applying the Duty & VAT. Also you will typically pay a handling fee to the shipping agent for collection of the Duty/VAT that can be £10-£20.

Wreckdiver
17th January 2008, 04:16 PM
I definitely wont be taking a chance on buying abroad. Ian Kerso has quoted me a very good price which I have accepted, so thanks very much to those that recommended him :)

Steve

nerdet
10th February 2008, 10:51 PM
Well, the cheapest here in Sweden is £455,88.
And the price for an E-3 (housing only) is about £315 more than in UK.

Ellie
11th February 2008, 01:53 PM
Well, the cheapest here in Sweden is £455,88.
And the price for an E-3 (housing only) is about £315 more than in UK.
:eek: That's a lot.

I hope your wages are better than they are here.

Nivek
6th March 2008, 06:42 PM
If you buy from the states customs can only check so many packages so there is a great chance you will get away with it. I buy a lot of stuff from the states my Panosaurus was less that half price there. I have purchased lenses as well and only twice have I had to pay duty.

There is another thing you can do. If you email the company you are dealing with in the states asking them to write “present” on the package I think this will help.

But remember if you have problems with your purchase you may have to post it back for repair.

PeterD
6th March 2008, 06:50 PM
But remember if you have problems with your purchase you may have to post it back for repair.

Thats not strictly true. In the case of an international warranty applying, you can send the item back for repair through your in-country manufacturers site. In our case, Oly at Watford.

PeterD

Nivek
6th March 2008, 06:56 PM
Thanks I didn't know that. that has been logged in my little red book.

PeterD
6th March 2008, 07:02 PM
Thanks I didn't know that. that has been logged in my little red book.
Kevin

I should have added though that the real downside, purchasing overseas, is that if you have a real duffer and you want your money back or replacement, then you will have to post it back to the supplier. Having said that, Oly gave me a replacement E3 and 12 60 lens directly. So there are exceptions to the rule.

PeterD

Ian Grego
6th March 2008, 07:13 PM
Stephen

I Have sent you a private message