PDA

View Full Version : Diffuser for Metz flash units.

paullus
28th December 2013, 10:32 AM
I've lost the very expensive Metz 58-90 diffuser I bought for my Metz 58AF-2 flash gun which isn't that difficult to do!
I wanted a replacement for it quickly and one that may not fall off so easily and unnoticed. I looked at the Metz Mecabounce MBM-01, Stofen and JJC offerings and then found the Pixel Flash Diffuser at 5.99 with free delivery from Amazon.
The Pixel Flash Diffuser arrived on time and I fitted it to my flash. I was immediately impressed with the quality and fit of the diffuser. From what I can tell it looks like an exact replica of the Metz version and it fits easily but securely to the flash. I don't know if the Stofen or JJC versions have a diffuser panel in the face of their versions but this one does.
Performance wise, I'm really impressed, it does what it says on the tin, softens the effect of direct flash. Where it appears to be significantly better than the 58-90 though is in indirect bounce mode. The diffuser acts like a lighting beacon when the flash fires giving Omni-directional lighting. This seems to give more natural results with minimal shadows. I can see now why pro-photographers often fit this type of diffuser outdoors in good light. I took over 100 shots with my Olympus OM-D EM-1 with the diffuser fitted to the flashgun yesterday and I'm completely convinced by the advantages of this simple and inexpensive bit of kit.

Pixel Flash Diffuser for Metz 58AF, 50AF, 48AF: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31yWQTqp3wL.@@AMEPARAM@@31yWQTqp3wL

Cheers,
Steve

Dave in Wales
29th December 2013, 04:59 AM
Nice to hear, I one on order for my 44 AF-1.

Peter_Hartland
29th December 2013, 09:22 AM
I've looking at the Metz for a while, seems it is a good 3rd party flash for the OM-D

paullus
30th December 2013, 03:24 PM
While doing a bit of reading on diffusers I came across this snippet of information:

As a special feature on mecabounce diffuser attachments MBM-01 and MBM-02 for Metz flash units, the integrated wide-angle diffuser fitted to the flash unit can be pushed backwards using the two pins mounted inside the diffuser attachments. As a result, the zoom position produces an optimum illumination for a focal length of 16mm.

Indeed the Pixel diffuser I have bought has this feature. If the diffuser is pushed on as far as it will go, it sets the zoom length of the flash to 8mm or obviously 16mm for 4/3.
Therefore care must be taken not to engage the pins when using the flash over a variety of zoom settings. However I have found that the diffuser still stays firmly attached when not pushed right back. Clever stuff.

Beagletorque
18th August 2014, 06:37 PM
Do the Metz flashes support RC mode on the EM-1? My uncle is looking for a cheaper and lighter alternative to the FL-50R for his EM-1, can recommend one? Thank-you.

paullus
18th August 2014, 08:20 PM
Do the Metz flashes support RC mode on the EM-1? My uncle is looking for a cheaper and lighter alternative to the FL-50R for his EM-1, can recommend one? Thank-you.

Hi. Have a look at the different Metz models here.

https://www.metz.de/en/flash-units/product-ranges/system-flash-units.html

I have the Metz 58 AF-2 which is a big unit similar to the FL50R so not lighter but Metz do support RC etc.

Cheers,
Steve

Beagletorque
18th August 2014, 08:22 PM
Steve, thanks will take a look.

wychbury
25th August 2014, 02:42 PM
Thanks for the tip Steve, I have just ordered one!

paullus
25th August 2014, 05:37 PM
Thanks for the tip Steve, I have just ordered one!

Great stuff. I hope you will be as happy with it as I am.

paullus
31st August 2014, 05:20 PM
I've lost the very expensive Metz 58-90 diffuser I bought for my Metz 58AF-2 flash gun which isn't that difficult to do!

Haha!
The little blighter has actually proven to be a little more difficult to lose than I thought when I started this thread.
During the recent rainy spell at the height of our glorious British Summer I donned a waterproof jacket that I hadn't worn in months and guess what was in the pocket. A long forgotten 10 note would have been nice but no it was my 58-90 diffuser! So it hadn't just dropped off as I had rather unfairly suggested.
Great to have it back as I hate losing things but I'm not sure I'll use it much now I have the Pixel diffuser.

Steve