PDA

View Full Version : Quite surprised

David Morison
20th December 2013, 04:59 PM
When I'm out doing wildlife photography my standard lens is the 75-300mm but there are many occasions when I need to get closer to a subject (insects/Flowers etc.) but with better DOF than I am likely to get with this lens. OK, I can always sling on the 60mm macro but changing lenses in the field is always a risky and time consuming activity. So I went mad and bought a cheap E-PL3 so I could keep the 60mm mounted, I didn't want to spend any more to get a higher spec. model especially as 12mpx is perfectly adequate for macro (less cropping needed).

Even with the slightly long 60mm the outfit will still fit in a large pocket, the combination works very well indeed and I'm pleasantly surprised at the speed and accuracy of the AF with the IQ of RAW files excellent. I know I shouldn't be surprised but I have been working with the OMD cameras, the E-M1 being roughly ten times the price, and wasn't sure what to expect from such a tiny instrument. In addition it came with the 14-42mm II R which is another surprise in terms of IQ. Altogether a very worthwhile purchase and I am looking forward to the insect/flower season!

David

Chevvyf1
21st December 2013, 09:40 AM
Interesting :) I may do the same ! Thanks for the info :)

Greytop
21st December 2013, 09:48 AM
I'm not surprised at all, my old E-PL2 is still in our family with our eldest daughter.
She produces some very fine images with it, macro and otherwise.

Peter_Hartland
21st December 2013, 11:10 PM
Interesting, certainly thought for consideration.

Ian
23rd December 2013, 10:58 AM
The E-PL5 is a real star as it has the same sensor as the E-M5, as does the E-PM2. But given enough light all the recent Pens are very good performers.

Ian