PDA

View Full Version : A touch of colour

Iansky
14th December 2013, 05:22 PM
I grabbed a couple of photos when in town today, converted to B&W but brought some colour back for effect.

Used the EPL5+17mm as I had not planned it as a photo trip.

640 ISO
http://www.e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/1704/Splashes_of_colour_.jpg

400ISO
http://www.e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/1704/Where_s_my_food.jpg

Mrs T
15th December 2013, 06:35 AM
Nice. How difficult is it to add the colour back in?

Phill D
15th December 2013, 10:52 AM
I like the first shot Ian but not with that colour added I'm afraid sorry.

Iansky
15th December 2013, 06:16 PM
Nice. How difficult is it to add the colour back in?

I use Silver Efex Pro and it is a fairly simple action to recover some colour.

It is one of those things you either love our hate (marmite effect)!

Bikie John
15th December 2013, 06:39 PM
It is one of those things you either love our hate (marmite effect)!

Yup. Rather oddly I don't give a toss either way about marmite, but this colour popping technique almost always sets my teeth on edge. And not in a good way.

Sorry Ian, that is not in any way a criticism of your work, just a comment based on personal taste.

Ciao ... John

Graham_of_Rainham
15th December 2013, 07:22 PM
Strange how some things have that "Marmite" effect on people.

In days of old we took B&W prints and let a water colour artist loose on it to produce something of a similar effect. I have even seen it done quite recently with an inkjet print on water colour paper, which came out surprisingly well.

It's well worth experimenting with all these techniques and seeing what works.

*chr

Iansky
16th December 2013, 10:13 PM
You are right, this technique no matter how achieved has always fuelled controversy and my images are no exception.

In my days in analogue I used to put colour back in using an airbrush, SFX is far faster and simpler and sometimes it works for all but often not, at least it prompts feedback and controversy and that is surely why we indulge in our hobby and post the results be they positive or negative!

gregles
16th December 2013, 10:22 PM
I am a bit on the fence although I do use it from time to time. The bright pink down pipe is sure eye catching*yes

As Kenny Dalgliesh would say "Maybes aye, maybes naw";):)

Greg

Iansky
18th December 2013, 08:18 AM
Thanks all for the feedback, it certainly shows there are very few that sit oxon the fence for long on this subject so I am glad it prompted the feedback it has.