PDA

View Full Version : Olympus Lens Cash Back Promotion

Invicta
24th September 2008, 07:16 PM
Not seen this published on this web site, but it looks to be valid in the UK.

The cash back offer runs from 1 October 2008 until 31 January 2009. Customers need only to register and send their copy of the purchase receipt and original box barcode to Olympus by 28 February 2009 to receive their cash back via bank transfer.

The offer is valid for any purchase of participating lenses between 01.10.2008 – 31.01.2009. Participating lenses are:

Participating Top Pro ZUIKO DIGITAL lenses
ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 7-14mm 1:4.0 (14-28mm)
ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 14-35mm 1:2.0 SWD (28-70mm)
ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 35-100mm 1:2.0 (70-200mm)
ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 150mm 1:2.0 (300mm)

Participating Pro ZUIKO DIGITAL lenses
ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 8mm Fisheye 1:3.5 (16mm)
ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 (100-400mm)

Participating Standard ZUIKO DIGITAL lenses
ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 (18-36mm)
ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 (140-600mm)
ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 18-180mm 1:3.5-6.3 (36-360mm)
ZUIKO DIGITAL 35mm Macro 1:3.5 (70mm)

Participating ZUIKO DIGITAL teleconverter
ZUIKO DIGITAL 2.0x Teleconverter EC-20

See this web page for details

http://olympus-europa.com/consumer/208_20069.htm

Chillimonster
24th September 2008, 08:57 PM
Link to the UK Version

http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/208_20069.htm

pasterw
24th September 2008, 09:00 PM
Letīs just hope that the 9-18mm will be available in the UK before the end of the cashback promotion.

Wolfgang

photo_owl
24th September 2008, 10:11 PM
shame these cashbacks have arrived over here - ridiculous additional administration burden on the consumer and distributor; wasted money that the consumer funds one way or another.

yorky
11th October 2008, 10:27 PM
Letīs just hope that the 9-18mm will be available in the UK before the end of the cashback promotion.

Wolfgang

Is this lens now available? and, has anyone out there any comments on the lens? I see Park are quoting it in there price list!

StephenL
12th October 2008, 06:39 AM
Yes, I got mine a week or so back from Park. It's a promising lens though I haven't got out much lately. Very light, with little distortion, but a bit slow to focus. Superb for landscapes but less so than the 7-14 for architectural.
Awaiting Olympus giving me my cashback - not wasted money as far as I'm concerned!

yorky
12th October 2008, 10:39 AM
Thats good to know, I am tempted the 7-14 would be my choice but the price is a little more than I could justify right now. I have the sigma 105 which is superb and the 35mm macro which I often leav on as a gp as it m akes it a lighter package.

Zuiko
12th October 2008, 12:50 PM
shame these cashbacks have arrived over here - ridiculous additional administration burden on the consumer and distributor; wasted money that the consumer funds one way or another.

Couldn't agree more! *yes What's wrong with discount at point of sale?

If I were in the happy position of being able to afford a new lens (and there's plenty I'd like) I wouldn't even bother putting in my claim.

To be fair to Oly, their cashback schemes are no worse than any other manufacturer. It's the whole principle with which I'm unhappy. Fortunately, nobody forces you to participate and you can still buy your camera or lens and just ignore the promotion! :)

StephenL
12th October 2008, 06:13 PM
True enough, I'd sooner the price reduction was up front. This whole rebate scheme seems to come from USA. But if Olympus are daft enough to offer money, then I'm stupid enough to take it!

yorky
12th October 2008, 06:30 PM
Hear hear Stephen, as the late Mr Wilson remarked "The Pound in YOUR pocket" every little helps and a bargain always appeals to a Yorkshireman and a Scot. that much at least we have in common :-)

Cathal
20th October 2008, 11:29 PM
I bought the 35mm Macro lens at the start of the month without[/] knowing about this offer. I got the lens for a really good price (Ģ145) after my local Jessops store price-matched (including p&p). This rebate makes my lens an even better bargain!

It would be more convenient if the discount was up front, but this is better, as you can beat the point-of-sale price down, the rebate makes it even cheaper, and the retailer doesn't get shafted.

Speaking with an Olympus dealer recently, he mentioned that carrying Olympus stock is made very difficult by price cutting, meaning they can have new equipment in stock bought at prices higher than some retailers can later sell for. It [i]really discourages them from stocking.

Makonde
21st October 2008, 06:59 AM
Cashback is a pain but you can see why they do it:
a. the cut is passed wholly to the customer (retailers can't take a slice, that's one reason they are not keen)
b. Incentive to register, so Olympus get a better idea of what's selling now (rather than what retailers are buying for stock).

However, if the lenses were priced more favourably in the first place, more people would buy them and more Oly cameras would be sold too..... The lenses are - let's face it - expensive by comparison to equivalents in the market leaders.

StephenL
21st October 2008, 07:25 AM
Damned cheek! I'm a LANCASTRIAN :eek:
The fact that I lived in Yorkshire (Cleckheaton) for 17 years and Scotland for 5 has nothing to do with it! *chr

.... a Yorkshireman and a Scot. that much at least we have in common :-)

StephenL
21st October 2008, 07:26 AM
FWIW I got my rebate through for my 9-18 yesterday. A pleasant addition to my coffers, especially as I'd forgotten about it! :D

DekHog
21st October 2008, 10:27 AM
Does anyone know if lenses purchased from Kerso are eligible for this cashback?

StephenL
21st October 2008, 10:37 AM
Good point. Ian sends an invoice showing his "shop" address etc, so that would count as a receipt, but I don't know if the supplier has to be an "Official Olympus Retailer".

yorky
21st October 2008, 02:13 PM
Rebates apart, has anyone had enough time to evaluate the lens? I am still torn between the two, In a way tthe difference betweent the 12 - 60 wide end and the 9 - 18 isn't all that much in cash terms..In weight terms itseems much bigger.

StephenL
21st October 2008, 02:30 PM
Are you talking about the difference twixt the 9-18 and 12-60, or the 9-18 and the 7-14?

My (limited) findings so far are that the 9-18 is a great wee lens, very light, and a perfect companion to the 12-60. To be honest, it would be an even better companion to the 14-54 if you could accept the shorter ultimate focal length. You would then have a really light but high quality set.

The 7-14 is a different beast altogether - and I mean a beast. It is really weighty, though not unwieldy, and the extra 2 mm width is certainly noticeable. The 7-14 is probably better suited to architectural shots than landscapes, where its distortion can have spectacular effects which are lost on landscape shots.

I cannot comment on the 11-22, as I've never used one, but I feel that it would be a waste when used along with the 12-60. Again, perhaps more suited as a companion to the 14-54.

The 12-60 versus the 14-54 is another can of worms. The 12-60 focusses much quicker, and the extra focal length either end is very useful. On paper it's quite a bit heavier, but on the body perhaps less noticable.

One final point - perhaps it's just me, but I find that with any zoom lens I mainly use the two extremes of focal length, eg, 12mm and 60mm, and tend to ignore the settings in-between. Perhaps someday someone will design a click-stop lens with just 2 or 3 focal lengths in one body. Must be cheaper!

Rebates apart, has anyone had enough time to evaluate the lens? I am still torn between the two, In a way tthe difference betweent the 12 - 60 wide end and the 9 - 18 isn't all that much in cash terms..In weight terms itseems much bigger.

DekHog
21st October 2008, 02:33 PM
There's a review/test of the 9-18mm here (http://www.biofos.com/esystem/9_18tst.html); the only one I could find at present. It seems to stack up pretty well.

I specifically went for a 14-54mm rather than a 12-60mm, so when the time comes around for a wide-angle, I've saved money, weight, size, and don't have the (what I consider) excessive overlap that the 9-18mm would give with the 12-60mm.

yorky
21st October 2008, 05:30 PM
Thanks Stephen and DekHog for your comments. I take the point that with the 14-54 the 9-18 makes more sense. I think the sensible path for me is to wait awhile longer and see if the price falls a bit with the forecast recession! I suppose its the additional weight that puts me off the 7-14.

flying haggis
22nd October 2008, 04:49 PM
i dont suppose Olympus will payout for secondhand lenses off E-bay!

nice to think they might!

JohnGG
22nd October 2008, 08:51 PM
.... Perhaps someday someone will design a click-stop lens with just 2 or 3 focal lengths in one body. Must be cheaper!

Leica do that with their TRI-ELMAR-M lenses for M7/M8 rangefinder cameras. The first was 28-35-50mm f/4 but they now do a 16-18-21mm f/4 as well. Cheaper? Er ... no ;)

Cheers,

JohnGG