PDA

View Full Version : Wrotniak on the E-M1

Shaw
7th December 2013, 10:54 PM
Andrzej Wrotniak's review of the E-M1

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/m43/em1-look.html

Phill D
8th December 2013, 08:21 AM
Takes a bit of reading but well worth the effort. An excellent read. I'd like to get a look at the set-up file he referred to. His setup for the E510 was really useful as a starting point and I'm sure the E-M1 version would quickly become a standard start for many.

StephenL
8th December 2013, 08:27 AM
A good read. I'm just a bit puzzled over his explanation of AE bracketing. Unless I'm misreading, it's not how mine works. I can set AEB for, say, 5 exposures. The camera automatically selects motor-drive. I then simply hold my finger on the shutter until it stops firing.

EDIT: Having re-read Wrotniak's section, and re-evaluated my scribbling, it seems we are both at cross-purposes. What I was referring to as AEB above is actually Olympus' HDR bracketing, from the top turret button. But actually doing Olympus' AEB (from the set-up menu), you have to set motor-drive manually. And then it does AEB without repeatedly pressing the shutter.

paullus
8th December 2013, 10:11 AM
Nice to see Andrzej back after many months of speculation about his whereabouts.

Steve.

peak4
8th December 2013, 10:27 AM
Nice to see Andrzej back after many months of speculation about his whereabouts.

Steve.

Pleased to see the chap about and on line again.

photo_owl
8th December 2013, 11:43 AM
.....But actually doing Olympus' AEB (from the set-up menu), you have to set motor-drive manually. And then it does AEB without repeatedly pressing the shutter.

indeed, but it will just keep shooting; it's not linked to the number of exposures set in the bracketing options...ie using sequential you can end up out of sequence this way than using the correct number of shutter presses.

very much swings and roundabouts, with the ultimate user choice being based on the shooting circumstances.

I agree with Andrzej that, on balance, it would be good to link the bracket size to the sequential sequence using bracketing in the same way as is already implemented in the HDR settings.

Peter_Hartland
8th December 2013, 12:27 PM
As already said a good article, even owning the M1 since end of Sept I found it clarified a number of things.

Gwyver
8th December 2013, 08:01 PM
indeed, but it will just keep shooting; it's not linked to the number of exposures set in the bracketing options...ie using sequential you can end up out of sequence this way than using the correct number of shutter presses.

very much swings and roundabouts, with the ultimate user choice being based on the shooting circumstances.

I agree with Andrzej that, on balance, it would be good to link the bracket size to the sequential sequence using bracketing in the same way as is already implemented in the HDR settings.

I don't think the E-M1 behaves differently in this regard than earlier E-system cameras. You could end up out of sequence with AE bracketing on the E-3 - it's just that the E-M1 (and E-M5) sequence rate is faster - so the chances of not releasing the shutter button at the appropriate moment have become much greater.

Olybirder
23rd December 2013, 12:49 PM
Wrotniak has now updated his site with his assessment of the Image Stabilization in the E-M1. See here (http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/m43/em1-is.html).

Ron

Jim Ford
23rd December 2013, 01:09 PM
This astonishing conclusion leapt out of the page at me:

"While the hard-tech market, driven by specs and marketing blurb, may be hard to convince, I still think that image stabilization in still photography may be a transitional technology, going soon the way of the dodo."

What do you make of it?

Jim

Olybirder
23rd December 2013, 01:20 PM
This astonishing conclusion leapt out of the page at me:

"While the hard-tech market, driven by specs and marketing blurb, may be hard to convince, I still think that image stabilization in still photography may be a transitional technology, going soon the way of the dodo."

What do you make of it?

Jim
As I read it, I think that he means that improvements in useable high ISO settings and the resultant increase in shutter speeds will eventually make image stabilization redundant. I think the preceding sentence is relevant: 'Last but not least, remember that each EV in usable ISO settings replaces one EV in AF effectiveness. With at least two EV gained in ISO since the last E-series SLRs, we already experience an effect equivalent to 2 extra EV in image stabilization.'

Ron

Who's_E
23rd December 2013, 01:39 PM
It's an interesting conclusion but I would suggest that it should be retained as a creative tool, even if it is redundant for taking sharp shots at relatively low shutter speeds. Consider for example a situation where you wanted to take a panning shot of a racing car during a night race where a bit of blur both vertically and horizontally could add to the picture, but you don't want too much vertical movement - IS would help here by giving some flexibility. There are probably other situations, but this springs to mind.

Personally I prefer to use physical stabilisation in the form of a tripod/beanbag as I have had problems with it blurring pictures, but I have used IS till help "deblur" in the past. So, now we have it, it would be a shame to lose it.

Just my 0.02's worth on the matter.
Nick

nad
24th December 2013, 02:00 PM
Take a look also at John Foster's: http://www.biofos.com/index.html

He's written a very good review and a "How to Setup,Cconfigure and Customise Your Camera"

niels

David M
25th December 2013, 12:58 PM
Photographers somehow managed to hand hold their cameras for decades before IS came along. It's just something else with the potential to go wrong for me. It would be nice if Olympus made a gimmick free body for photographers.

brian1208
25th December 2013, 01:05 PM
some of us older photographers find IS helps overcome increasingly shaky hands though (and problems carting around extra weight in the form of even my nice carbon tripod) so I'm very happy that Olympus have been kind enough to make the EM series with it on board

Different strokes for different folks :)

Bill Gordon
25th December 2013, 05:15 PM
Despite all the different strokes for different folk and the pros and cons.....it sure as hell works for me!!😜🍻