PDA

View Full Version : Photo software for Linux?

Ellie
23rd September 2008, 11:30 PM
Does anybody here use Linux?

If so, do you know of suitable, and free to download, editing software I can use.

My computer's at the menders and I've borrowed an oldish laptop that runs on Linux, which is a whole new learning experience but nowhere near as scary as I thought it would be. I might even be converted to using it permanently.

PaulE
23rd September 2008, 11:46 PM
Does anybody here use Linux?

If so, do you know of suitable, and free to download, editing software I can use.

My computer's at the menders and I've borrowed an oldish laptop that runs on Linux, which is a whole new learning experience but nowhere near as scary as I thought it would be. I might even be converted to using it permanently.

GIMP (http://www.gimp.org/) is probably the most comprehensive, I've used it briefly in the past and was very impressed given it's price tag :)

interesting to hear you don't find the change in OS to be that daunting as its the exact same feeling I had when I first tried it. Apart from a few fustrating problems I really liked it and I have no doubt that I will eventually move to Linux for good.

Paul

mas
24th September 2008, 07:31 AM
Gimp seems to do pretty much everything.

You may also was dcraw and ufraw which will allow you to open the olympus orf format (maybe gimp has bundled it now but it certainly used to have problems with orf)

for less functionality you could look at krita.

I find all the complex photo manipulation stuff a bit much but thats more about understanding the approach and what all the many many many functions do.

Jim Ford
24th September 2008, 08:13 AM
The problem I find is that it's bad enough trying to get to grips with Photoshop, without having to do the same with another image manipulation program with a totally different interface. It would be much easier if Gimp had 'look and feel' of Photoshop.

Jim

mas
24th September 2008, 08:25 AM
There is a patch for gimp that makes it look /behave more like photoshop.

Off hand I cant remember what its called but I'll try and find it and post details later.

snaarman
24th September 2008, 08:39 AM
I converted one of our old laptops to Ubuntu, a variety of Linux, and I was quite impressed. Parts of it were quite windows like. Most of it worked first time and it recognised everything I plugged into the computer immediately.

Equally it was no smaller and no faster than XP, which was a slight surprise.

P

mas
24th September 2008, 11:53 AM
Gimpshop - is gimp made to look like photoshop.

There are tools to allow you to use ps actions etc as well - I dont know if they are built into gimpshop or not.

ubuntu bundles loads of extra stuff that you probably dont need - a bit of quick pruning and you can get the size downand the preformance up

Jim Ford
24th September 2008, 01:21 PM
I converted one of our old laptops to Ubuntu, a variety of Linux, and I was quite impressed. Parts of it were quite windows like. Most of it worked first time and it recognised everything I plugged into the computer immediately.

Equally it was no smaller and no faster than XP, which was a slight surprise.

P

You can rebuild the kernel to only have the features you need. This makes it much smaller and faster (at least to load)

Jim

Henk
24th September 2008, 04:48 PM
A very good raw developer (and free) is RawTherapee.

http://www.rawtherapee.com/?mitem=2

Have fun with your linux box!

Ellie
24th September 2008, 11:18 PM
Thanks *chr

I hope Gimp isn't as difficult as photoshop, it's my nightmare software, I just can't get to grips with it.

I need to talk with the ones that know much more than I do about downloading and installing stuff, I'll have a serious look at it tomorrow.

I'm actually surprised by Linux, I think it's Ubuntu that's installed on this machine, it does everything I need it to do, is remarkably quick online and well, does what it says it's meant to, and for free too. I can't do too much messing about though, because it isn't my machine, but I'm seriously tempted to install it on my own computer when it comes back, I'm heartily fed up with being held to ransom by M$. I don't really need any frills, bells and whistles, just something that works when I want it to.

Who's_E
25th September 2008, 01:28 PM
Ellie,

Remember this in terms of output:

Windows users are only 50% efficient because everything crashes
Linux users are only 50% efficient because they tweak the OS all the time
Mac users are 100% efficient because everything works

(And that's from a (very stripped down, everything off) Windows Vista user)

Nick

Ellie
30th September 2008, 03:47 PM
Ellie,

Remember this in terms of output:

Windows users are only 50% efficient because everything crashes
Linux users are only 50% efficient because they tweak the OS all the time
Mac users are 100% efficient because everything works

Nick
Yep, you're probably right :D