PDA

View Full Version : EM-1, Full-Time AF.

Dave in Wales
6th December 2013, 02:44 PM
Not that I want to use it but, I thought I'd give it a go.

Gears > A > AF Mode > Full-Time AF > ON.

Nothing happens, still have to half press shutter button to focus.

Am I missing something, or have I set something that won't allow F-T AF?

I'm not using a Four Thirds system lens.

photo_owl
6th December 2013, 03:07 PM
Not that I want to use it but, I thought I'd give it a go.

Gears > A > AF Mode > Full-Time AF > ON.

Nothing happens, still have to half press shutter button to focus.

Am I missing something, or have I set something that won't allow F-T AF?

I'm not using a Four Thirds system lens.

don't know - mine works....

half press to start, then release - camera continues to AF (no target frames) until you fully press the shutter.

bilbo
6th December 2013, 03:26 PM
My experience matches Dave's... must be some custom setting or other. I'm using a MFT lens and not using HDR.

Dave in Wales
6th December 2013, 03:49 PM
don't know - mine works....

half press to start, then release - camera continues to AF (no target frames) until you fully press the shutter.

Tried that, don't work.

Dave in Wales
6th December 2013, 03:50 PM
My experience matches Dave's... must be some custom setting or other. I'm using a MFT lens and not using HDR.

Glad I'm not alone, be nice to know which setting though.

photo_owl
6th December 2013, 04:10 PM
can't really help!

using the 45 you won't hear it, but the ongoing AF function is visible in the VF if you are looking for it. Just tried the 75-300 and it's the same - slow and silent underlying function.

S-AF at standard release functions and priorities.

you don't even need the half press to start as I had previously thought - it works all the time.

it's not a snap to focus AF, it's a slow AF hunt until it finds focus.

Shaw
6th December 2013, 04:31 PM
I can't be of help either. My one's the same as photo_owl's, no need to half press, it just works all the time.

bilbo
6th December 2013, 04:32 PM
Yep. Mine is working now. Changed the seemingly relevant AF settings on the cog menu A.

Settings:
Full-time AF On
Face Priority Off
C-AF Lock Off

I shan't be using it though! :)

Shaw
6th December 2013, 04:39 PM
Yep. Mine is working now. Changed the seemingly relevant AF settings on the cog menu A.

Settings:
Full-time AF On
Face Priority Off
C-AF Lock Off

I shan't be using it though! :)

My one also works with Face Priority On and C-AF Lock On

bilbo
6th December 2013, 04:46 PM
My one also works with Face Priority On and C-AF Lock OnMine too :)

...but those are the settings which I changed just before it started working... *shrug

David Morison
6th December 2013, 05:19 PM
Works all the time on mine but is very subtle, silent and slowish - I guess it's meant to be used with video.

David

Wee man
6th December 2013, 06:27 PM
Mine works also even when camera is switched off not sure how the battery will last?

Dave in Wales
6th December 2013, 06:33 PM
Still can't get mine to work :mad:

David Morison
6th December 2013, 07:20 PM
Mine works also even when camera is switched off not sure how the battery will last?

Ha, ha. How do you know?

Ross the fiddler
6th December 2013, 09:29 PM
Still can't get mine to work :mad:

I guess it also depends on which lens you are using too. I don't believe 4/3's lenses would work with this. The 12-50 lens on the E-M5 will slowly adjust focus using this function using S-AF (& C-AF & C-AF+Tracking) but not S-AF+MF or anything else including MF & it can be useful for framing & finding focus with a scene mostly in focus than with it a total blur otherwise & then having to press the shutter (half press) to see what can be focussed on. It does have its uses acting as a prefocus & that is why it is there, but it will use more battery power obviously.

What lens are you trying with it Dave?

Wee man
6th December 2013, 09:33 PM
looking back it works when you are not composing a shot or even touching the shutter button?

Ross the fiddler
7th December 2013, 02:45 AM
looking back it works when you are not composing a shot or even touching the shutter button?

Sounds like it is working right then. *yes

Dave in Wales
7th December 2013, 06:51 AM
I guess it also depends on which lens you are using too. I don't believe 4/3's lenses would work with this. The 12-50 lens on the E-M5 will slowly adjust focus using this function using S-AF (& C-AF & C-AF+Tracking) but not S-AF+MF or anything else including MF & it can be useful for framing & finding focus with a scene mostly in focus than with it a total blur otherwise & then having to press the shutter (half press) to see what can be focussed on. It does have its uses acting as a prefocus & that is why it is there, but it will use more battery power obviously.

What lens are you trying with it Dave?

All M4/3, 14-45, 60mm macro.

Dave in Wales
7th December 2013, 07:07 AM
It works now, but only in modes iAuto, Art, Scene and Picture story.

It's purely an achademic exercise, if it's there it should work, but I'll never use it anyway.

Ross the fiddler
7th December 2013, 08:35 AM
It works now, but only in modes iAuto, Art, Scene and Picture story.

It's purely an achademic exercise, if it's there it should work, but I'll never use it anyway.

It works in Aperture Priority (with S-AF, C-AF & C-AF Tracking) on the E-M5, do you mean to say that the EM1 doesn't? Maybe there is another setting that might be preventing it, however, I never use it either, but in circumstances where previewing may be more critical, it might just be useful to use it.

David Morison
7th December 2013, 08:45 AM
On the EM1 it works in all AF modes in P, S, A, M, Art, Scene (except fireworks) and iAuto.

David

Ross the fiddler
7th December 2013, 10:00 AM
On the EM1 it works in all AF modes in P, S, A, M, Art, Scene (except fireworks) and iAuto.

David

Including S-AF+MF?

Shaw
7th December 2013, 10:08 AM
Including S-AF+MF?

Not on S-AF+MF, I've just tried it.

RobEW
31st October 2017, 10:40 PM
I've been having a play with this on E-M1. Greyed out for FT lenses. Works well with 60 macro and with Sigma 30 1.4, but very slow / sometimes non-existent with 75-300 II. Seemed to be non-existent first time with 75-300 but slow second time. Maybe power down and up helped enable it? (Everyything else I have at the moment is Four Thirds. 14-150 out on loan). As others have said, it's probably a battery drainer so not for routine use.

RobEW
1st November 2017, 05:37 PM
Sorry - just re-read the thread. I think I was using S-AF + MF to start with.

Edited to add - yes; I've checked again. It seems to work consistently in S-AF mode but not in MF nor S-AF + MF modes. It's quite a slow refocussing (on the 75-300 II at least) and you can sometimes get a quicker transition to perfect focus by half pressing the shutter.