PDA

View Full Version : E-M1, why no sweep panorama for stills?

Dave in Wales
6th December 2013, 07:17 AM
Pics have to be stitched together in OV3.

Even a cheap compact does sweep panorama these days.

Seems a little antiquated for such a flagship camera, or is there a reason.

StephenL
6th December 2013, 07:39 AM
If you want this function, buy a cheap compact. The quality which can be obtained by doing this incamera is poorer than Olympus want their flagship to portray. All the compacts produce are fit only for web display.

Ian
6th December 2013, 08:20 AM
I haven't yet used a sweep-panorama function that can be relied upon to produce a perfect stitch, and I have used quite a few from various manufacturers.

Much better would be a live view aid so that the individual component stills could be framed more accurately and exposure and white balance be locked during the process so the job of stitching afterwards would be easier and the result better.

Ian

Angus
6th December 2013, 08:22 AM
If you want this function, buy a cheap compact. The quality which can be obtained by doing this incamera is poorer than Olympus want their flagship to portray. All the compacts produce are fit only for web display.

I'd buy that argument if it wasn't for the inclusion of Photo Story etc! And they even gave that a place on the mode dial!

Graham_of_Rainham
6th December 2013, 08:43 AM
Using the "level" function helps a lot. With a "stitch guide" like the one in the XZ-1 panoramas would be a bit easier to construct, but the "thirds" guide lines can be just as useful.

brian1208
6th December 2013, 08:45 AM
I find that shooting panos using manual exposure and focus with the colour balance set (not in auto) and the 3X3 grid in the EVF allows me to create images with up to 36 frames without problem and with minimum post processing after the event.

The grid lines allow me to get the horizon level and the 1/3rd overlap is easy enough to judge by eye

(my only problem with the 36 frame pano is that it works out at around 14ft full size and my PC struggles to post-process the compiled image, so I had to work it up into 4 completed segments before finally stitching the finished image together.

I would not find an "Auto pano" function of use but that's just my needs

Zuiko
6th December 2013, 08:47 AM
I'd buy that argument if it wasn't for the inclusion of Photo Story etc! And they even gave that a place on the mode dial!

Ah, but from a marketing point of view Photo Story is pretty much a cool new feature whereas sweep panorama is just a rather hackneyed gimmick. The usefullness of a function and it's marketing value don't always equate. It's important not to judge a good camera on what peripheral features it does or doesn't have.

StephenL
6th December 2013, 09:22 AM
Using the "level" function helps a lot. With a "stitch guide" like the one in the XZ-1 panoramas would be a bit easier to construct, but the "thirds" guide lines can be just as useful.
Unfortunately the spirit-level function doesn't work if the camera is held in portrait format, which is my preferred way of composing panoramas.

Ian
6th December 2013, 09:32 AM
Unfortunately the spirit-level function doesn't work if the camera is held in portrait format, which is my preferred way of composing panoramas.

Do you mean on the XZ?

Ian

StephenL
6th December 2013, 09:35 AM
Do you mean on the XZ?

Ian
No, the E-M1.

ian p
6th December 2013, 09:44 AM
If, by sweep panoramas, you really mean E-M1 style sweep panoramas, and not 'cheap compact' style, then yes, a better spirit level, preview and even auto-shoot using the IBIS gyros to detect the movement like a smartphone does. But leaving the stitching to software on your PC. There is room for a serious yet easy panorama function.

Ian
6th December 2013, 09:52 AM
No, the E-M1.

:) The digital level works sideways (both ends) and even upside on the camera I have in front of me...

Ian

StephenL
6th December 2013, 09:58 AM
:) The digital level works sideways (both ends) and even upside on the camera I have in front of me...

Ian
Hmm.. I only see the "landscape" level even if the camera's in portrait. Must be a setting somewhere...

Funnily enough, I see it as you describe on the E-M5. The M1 is downstairs, so I'll have a play on my next trip to the kitchen for a brew! (which won't be long!)

Ross the fiddler
6th December 2013, 10:18 AM
Pics have to be stitched together in OV3.

Even a cheap compact does sweep panorama these days.

Seems a little antiquated for such a flagship camera, or is there a reason.

That's probably because it is a P&S type of feature, and yes, I know it has PhotoStory. Even their new Stylus 1 (mini OM-D) won't stitch 'in camera'.

DerekW
6th December 2013, 10:37 AM
I almost agree with Brian, that a dedicated facility is not needed. In a lot of cases where the light is even ie not shooting into the sun as well as with the sun over your shoulder you can take the pictures without locking the focus and exposure. Extra control really needed when there is a variation in the range of the image.

StephenL
6th December 2013, 11:22 AM
Hmm.. I only see the "landscape" level even if the camera's in portrait. Must be a setting somewhere...

Funnily enough, I see it as you describe on the E-M5. The M1 is downstairs, so I'll have a play on my next trip to the kitchen for a brew! (which won't be long!)

Found it! Had the M1 set so that the level only came on on half-press of shutter, which only gave Landscape level. I had it switched off from the Info button. Now rectified!

David M
6th December 2013, 11:28 AM
They'd reached the gimmick limit before they could.

Iansky
6th December 2013, 12:45 PM
Dont use it, dont want it and feel that as this is priced/marketed as a pro spec camera it is not something that is needed.

People needing to create a panorama for a client will invariably shoot raw and stitch using PS for better quality so it is more a feature of compacts than quality DSLR/CSC machines.

Dave in Wales
6th December 2013, 01:31 PM
Dont use it, dont want it and feel that as this is priced/marketed as a pro spec camera it is not something that is needed.

People needing to create a panorama for a client will invariably shoot raw and stitch using PS for better quality so it is more a feature of compacts than quality DSLR/CSC machines.

I agree Ian, I don't want it, don't use it or any of the other gimmicky modes.

In a 'PRO' camera there should be just P, A, S, M & video modes....IMVHO

I'm not even sure if the video mode is needed, I have never used it, nor never will.

But as it's there it was just an enquirey as to why it was not the 'sweep' type, perhaps for technical reasons ie....IBIS would not allow it.

benvendetta
6th December 2013, 02:20 PM
It's a pro grade camera, not a toy! Don't know why it has scene modes. Not needed, who uses them..............not me, ever.

StephenL
6th December 2013, 03:34 PM
It's a pro grade camera, not a toy! Don't know why it has scene modes. Not needed, who uses them..............not me, ever.
To that list of not-wanted, I would add Movie Mode. But that's just me. I know I'm in the minority!

bilbo
6th December 2013, 03:53 PM
To that list of not-wanted, I would add Movie Mode. But that's just me. I know I'm in the minority!But not a minority of one. :)

DerekW
6th December 2013, 03:56 PM
All the toys come free - they have worked out to do them on the lesser cameras and could incorporate them into the circuitry for free - probable even the same chips are used in the lesser cameras with M1 specific functions not supported in the electical connections in the body.

Major computer manufacturers would provide all the "bells and whistles" in the shipped mainframe and then according to how much rent/lease the customer was paying the the special functions where enabled or disabled.

StephenL
6th December 2013, 04:16 PM
All the toys come free - they have worked out to do them on the lesser cameras and could incorporate them into the circuitry for free - probable even the same chips are used in the lesser cameras with M1 specific functions not supported in the electical connections in the body.

Major computer manufacturers would provide all the "bells and whistles" in the shipped mainframe and then according to how much rent/lease the customer was paying the the special functions where enabled or disabled.
I realise that, but it don't half clutter up the menu system! :D

DerekW
6th December 2013, 04:34 PM
But one day you will need to use one of these bells and whistles and you will be pleased you remembered that you could use the feature - if you could find the manual.

Dave in Wales
6th December 2013, 06:22 PM
To that list of not-wanted, I would add Movie Mode. But that's just me. I know I'm in the minority!

I'm with you on that one.

Graham_of_Rainham
6th December 2013, 06:34 PM
A few "Stately Homes" would allow stills photography (no flash) but not video.

Once they all got video capability these places stopped all cameras because they didn't know if video was being used. Using a camera in sweep mode looks a lot like video recording.

I too have no use for video on a DSLR/CSC, as I have a great compact to do that if I need it.

*chr

benvendetta
6th December 2013, 08:02 PM

I am happy to have video :)

StephenL
6th December 2013, 08:12 PM
I am happy to have video :)
There's always one! :rolleyes: :D

brian1208
6th December 2013, 08:16 PM
What's video, is it that sort of brown tape stuff that comes in a cassette? :D

David M
6th December 2013, 10:51 PM
There's way to many gimmicks on it for photographers who learned to use their tools before everything was auto this and that.

Zuiko
6th December 2013, 11:21 PM
There's way to many gimmicks on it for photographers who learned to use their tools before everything was auto this and that.

I agree, but if it makes the camera generally more saleable then I have no objection, I just ignore what I don't want.

What I would really like is a fully customizable Super Control Panel where the user could select exactly what is displayed. I could then bury everything I don't want in the menus, which I would never need to access again. :D

Graham_of_Rainham
7th December 2013, 12:30 AM
What I would really like is a fully customizable Super Control Panel where the user could select exactly what is displayed.

I've been asking for this for years, along with the means to customise the EVF and do it all on the computer, then simply download it or better still have it as part of a "MyMode" on a memory card.

Why call it MyMode if it's not exactly what I want...

In Manual, all I want is a little needle that moves between a + and a - :cool:
If I change the speed or aperture, that number appears only while it's being adjusted, then vanishes after a second. The XZ-1 can do it, so why not bigger "better" cameras.

And just to get back on topic the XZ-1 has a nice-n-simple panorama helper.
As you may have guessed I really like the XZ-1

*chr

Zuiko
7th December 2013, 01:09 AM
I've been asking for this for years, along with the means to customise the EVF and do it all on the computer, then simply download it or better still have it as part of a "MyMode" on a memory card.

Why call it MyMode if it's not exactly what I want...

In Manual, all I want is a little needle that moves between a + and a - :cool:
If I change the speed or aperture, that number appears only while it's being adjusted, then vanishes after a second. The XZ-1 can do it, so why not bigger "better" cameras.

And just to get back on topic the XZ-1 has a nice-n-simple panorama helper.
As you may have guessed I really like the XZ-1

*chr

It's a long-term hope that I might eventually get an XZ-1 or XZ-2, from what I've seen they are terrific little cameras! :)

Ross the fiddler
7th December 2013, 03:07 AM
It's a long-term hope that I might eventually get an XZ-1 or XZ-2, from what I've seen they are terrific little cameras! :)

Better not get the Stylus 1 then, 'cause it does the Panorama similar to the E-M5.