PDA

View Full Version : Batteries - should be supplied with covers

DerekW
3rd December 2013, 04:17 PM
Just joined the M1 fraternity and so exploring.

However I am very disappointed that the batteries supplied by Olympus do not come with protection caps to prevent the contacts coming into contact with metal.

The airlines (ie the US TSA) have very strong rules on the need for batteries to be either inside the appropriate device (camera, computer etc) or to have their contacts covered.

In the good old days of the E1, E3, E5 the batteries were supplied with plastic covers.

Why not now? - the batteries cost enough.

Time to write to Oly I think.

StephenL
3rd December 2013, 04:21 PM
I agree with you. I've searched for a suitable container, but end up putting them in small plastic bags.

David Morison
3rd December 2013, 04:28 PM
I tape mine up and put in plastic bags and then a sealable food box. The last thing I need is to have my batteries confiscated on my way to a holiday or worse - in a foreign place!

David

Iansky
3rd December 2013, 05:12 PM
many of the 3rd party manufacturers and Hahnel in particular sell their batteries with terminal covers.

A little like the saga of Olympus, lens hood & bags! minimul cost for max return in the eyes of the customer!

Ian
3rd December 2013, 05:14 PM
The grey versions of BLM, BLN and BCS batteries have an extra contact pad - I wonder if this negates the need for a cover; requiring the camera to enable the battery to go live? Just a theory.

Ian

Otto
3rd December 2013, 05:25 PM
I just checked my BLN-1 and there's a healthy 8.6v across its terminals so I guess not Ian. It might be a good idea though! The terminals are recessed though so it's not possible to complete a circuit with simple contact to a metal surface, but I too keep mine in small plastic bags.

DerekW
3rd December 2013, 06:53 PM
But if you have to persuade a TSA man at the airport that your jumble of batteries at the bottom of the camera bag are not likely to short circuit. He/she can prevent you from boarding the plane.

Alpha1
3rd December 2013, 07:23 PM
I make up little bags from bubble wrap and tape them up. I travel quite a lot and have never had a problem ...yet! :cool:

DerekW
3rd December 2013, 08:03 PM
So do I but you should not have to mess around with bubble wrap when a rigid condom made to fit would be so much better.

macmcgill
3rd December 2013, 09:17 PM
Someone with a 3D printer could make a killing here then

jmunkki
4th December 2013, 08:01 AM
I bet you could make your own covers with Sugru, if you wish. It's a silicon putty that you can shape with your bare hands. It air-cures into a relatively strong silicon rubber. One pack should be enough to make a battery cover. Electrically insulating and withstands high temperatures.

DerekW
4th December 2013, 10:28 AM
I will try Sugru thanks - is it elastic or rigid once it has cured.

jmunkki
4th December 2013, 10:54 AM
Elastic, but not super-stretchy.

Ross the fiddler
4th December 2013, 11:15 AM
So do I but you should not have to mess around with bubble wrap when a rigid condom made to fit would be so much better.

I think the flexible ones would be more gratifying. :rolleyes:

I bet you could make your own covers with Sugru, if you wish. It's a silicon putty that you can shape with your bare hands. It air-cures into a relatively strong silicon rubber. One pack should be enough to make a battery cover. Electrically insulating and withstands high temperatures.

I think I would prefer to wrap the battery in a layer of cling wrap before applying the Sugru.

jmunkki
4th December 2013, 12:22 PM
Sugru will stick, so I would tape over the contacts and then apply some kind of release agent (soapy water or a bit of oil) before applying Sugru on the battery to make the case.

benvendetta
4th December 2013, 12:59 PM
I make up little bags from bubble wrap and tape them up. I travel quite a lot and have never had a problem ...yet! :cool:

I have never had a problem with airlines or cruise ships and the batteries have been just lanquishing in my camera bag. I have never felt the need to warap them up.

Ulfric M Douglas
4th December 2013, 03:57 PM
I'm making a leather battery-belt into which my various batteries will slot : it'll be stitched inside my man-bag.
It's not actually to stop them all rattling around in my bag : just there so it'll be quicker to sort the right one to stick in the camera.

Bikie John
4th December 2013, 03:57 PM
I think "they" have tightened up a lot recently, possibly prompted by the couple of planes that caught fire. I was enquiring about posting valuable stuff at the Post Office last week and the very helpful counter person showed me a new page of regulations, some of which were specifically about lithium batteries. Just because it's always been OK before doesn't mean it will be next time :(

I'm sure it's just backside-covering but if the security bod says no, you and your batteries don't get on the flight.

Ciao ... John

StephenL
4th December 2013, 04:11 PM
it'll be stitched inside my man-bag.

I'm not stitching anything onto my man-bag. :eek:

Otto
4th December 2013, 04:25 PM
Yes, mailing regulations have been tightened up considerably this year and lithium batteries can only be posted fitted into the equipment for which they're intended. See
http://www.royalmail.com/personal/help-and-support/Tell-me-about-Prohibited-Goods

With the boom in internet shopping comes the inevitable increases in the cost and difficulty of sending the goods :rolleyes:.

anroo
4th December 2013, 06:41 PM
Having returned from a trip around Australia/New Zealand a couple of weeks ago I can confirm that, compared to a year ago, the regulations on lithium batteries have been tightened everywhere - although I was only questioned once so I don't know how strictly they are being enforced. As I'd been unprepared for this I just kept my spare in the charger and in my hand luggage. They are now certainly a no-no in checked baggage.

art frames
5th December 2013, 12:08 PM
As a suggestion, think tank make a battery holder. Available here
http://www.premier-ink.co.uk/photographic/camera-bags/think-tank/accessories/think-tank-dslr-battery-holder-4-p-4948.html
I bought one, it arrived next day and I am happy.

It works for most batteries. The olympus is a looser fit than a big canon battery - but they would need a bigger condom too *yes! And if you haven't got four batteries, they do make a two battery version, alternatively four aa cells fit into the space for a flash (or maybe a small sausage roll).

I actually wanted it as I am never sure where my batteries are (in chargers, in pockets, one of the several bags...etc) whether this will help remains to be seen. :D

Olybirder
5th December 2013, 12:18 PM
Thanks Peter. The double version (http://www.harrisoncameras.co.uk/Bags-and-Tripods/Bags/Bag-Accessories/Think-Tank-DSLR-Battery-Holder-2_T968.htm) looks quite good. I like Think Tank's products and they are usually very well made.

Ron