PDA

View Full Version : Keeping a record of your custom settings

Olybirder
2nd December 2013, 01:27 PM
With all the talk of people having to reset their cameras after a lock up (although hopefully the firmware has reduced the likelihood of this now) I didn't relish the prospect of trying to remember all the custom settings which I have applied over the past weeks. I was trying to work out the easiest way to keep a record of them when I discovered some useful pages in the Manual.

Pages 142-147 contain a section entitled 'Menu directory'. This lists the various menu functions along with their default values. I printed these pages out and can now work through the menus, noting down my custom changes in the right hand margin. Hopefully, if I now have to do a reset I can refer to these pages to return the camera to its previous state, without having to remember all the changes. I will have to be careful to note down any further changes in the future but, hopefully, it should be easier than starting from scratch again.

Ron

Chevvyf1
2nd December 2013, 01:34 PM
Good advice Ron :)

DerekW
2nd December 2013, 01:59 PM
For years now there has been a useabiliy requirement on Olympus to provide the ability to dump the settings to a file saved on the memory card so that the data can be restored to the camera after an update etc. Even if the firmware update changed the format of the fields, then the data would still be able to be downloaded into a CSV file and hence into a spread sheet so that one can have a starting point to rebuild the camera.

It would also save the a huge amount of time for Oly employees as they test and rebuild the cameras both during development and also for on going sales support ie setting up cameras to get different results.

Graham_of_Rainham
2nd December 2013, 02:15 PM
For years now there has been a useabiliy requirement on Olympus to provide the ability to dump the settings to a file saved on the memory card so that the data can be restored to the camera after an update etc. Even if the firmware update changed the format of the fields, then the data would still be able to be downloaded into a CSV file and hence into a spread sheet so that one can have a starting point to rebuild the camera.

It would also save the a huge amount of time for Oly employees as they test and rebuild the cameras both during development and also for on going sales support ie setting up cameras to get different results.

100% Agreement. It would be of Very Real Value if we could have a card with "MyMode" settings stored on it for whatever usage we want to make of our kit. I've written to Olympus Tech Support with this suggestion and received a positive reply, but still they don't do it. :confused:

Please, please, please; provide this function. Especially if the file could be edited off line in Olympus Software or a simple TXT editor.

Olybirder
3rd December 2013, 12:18 PM
I have prepared a pdf file of the relevant pages from the Manual, with the copy moved to the left to give a wider right hand margin and have inserted an extra column for your custom settings. If anybody would like a copy please PM me your email address and I will mail you a copy. It is A4 size and a 612KB file.

I went through my settings last night, just noting down anything which was not the default value and it didn't take that long. It is nice to have something to refer to.

Ron

StephenL
3rd December 2013, 12:32 PM
I know I said I would knock something together, but I've not got round to it, and your solution seems a lot more elegant. In fact, I only "discovered" those pages a few days ago myself, so I shall adopt your excellent idea, when I get around to it!

Orogeny
4th December 2013, 08:18 PM
Thanks for pointing out the pages.

I'm a bit overwhelmed with the camera at the moment, having moved from a late 80's SLR, so a menu option to dump settings to a card would be very helpful (went through this last year when I skipped several generations of phone moving from an old phone-only nokia to the delights of android).

Daft thing is I wouldn't be surprised if Olympus already have this functionality somewhere. I would imagine the first thing Oly tech do on receiving a "broken" camera is plug a USB cable into it and run a diagnostic.

If they do perhaps they could supply a cut down software utility to at least allow camera settings to be pulled to a PC or Mac. And ditto, if you could push your settings back to the camera after a reset, great.

It'd also provide tech support another avenue to explore before the drastic step of requesting a camera be returned to base.

Just some thoughts.

Cheers, Paul.

Graham_of_Rainham
4th December 2013, 08:25 PM
I wonder if there would be any interest in a database of people's settings, so that other people could try out settings for specific effects or types of shooting.