PDA

View Full Version : Oh woe they have changed the file naming process

DerekW
2nd December 2013, 11:21 AM
Just got the M1 and struggling through the packaging and the menu system etc etc.

Olympus have changed the file naming system - it used to have a user set first character and then a three digit date value and then a 4 digit auto incremented number.

From what I can see now they have done away with the three digit date field allowing the user to set a series of values of their choice.
I now have to determine a new method of using the camera produced file names. Unless this info is hidden away in the manual in which case I will eventually find out how to implement the feature I want.

As an aside, I unpacked the camera from the box and now I cannot get the packing materiel back into the box with the hardware outside of the box.

ian p
2nd December 2013, 11:50 AM
What do you use the numbering for? I never look at the file names.

They employ magicians in top hats to pack the cameras. You have to admire their work.

Bikie John
2nd December 2013, 11:58 AM
How odd, I am getting the file names I expect. I find it useful having the date as part of the name - if a stray shot turns up somewhere it's a bit easier to trace it. There is an option somewhere that defaults to setting the number back to zero each time you format the card, but you can turn it off if you want.

One question - have you set the date? Obvious I know, but you never know ....

John

Ian
2nd December 2013, 12:06 PM
It'a a bit old (2009) but I think is still largely relevant - my FTU blog post about how Panasonic and Olympus file names are structured:

http://www.fourthirds-user.com/forum/blog.php?b=6

Ian

byegad
2nd December 2013, 12:23 PM
I too had no joy getting the empty packaging back into the box! You are not alone.

DerekW
2nd December 2013, 01:13 PM
Thank you you for your comments - I am pleased that I am not alone re repacking the box.

However re file names and Ian's ref to his write up on the file name structure it is:

"The next character is the month, so 1-9 are January to September, then you shift to the letters A, B, and C for October, November, and December.

The next two spaces are for the day of the month."

That I do not get to see in the EM1

Any thoughts??

Chevvyf1
2nd December 2013, 01:37 PM

As an aside, I unpacked the camera from the box and now I cannot get the packing materiel back into the box with the hardware outside of the box.

Derek, I have 3 x under Three year olds today :D and can pop over with them to pack the packing in the box without the camera - if you like *yes ... it is likely the 2 x 18 m Toddlers will do it in 30 seconds ... ZZZ zzz :rolleyes:

ps it does state "Made in China" so its just a Chinese Puzzle ...

Ian
2nd December 2013, 03:24 PM
Just got the M1 and struggling through the packaging and the menu system etc etc.

Olympus have changed the file naming system - it used to have a user set first character and then a three digit date value and then a 4 digit auto incremented number.

From what I can see now they have done away with the three digit date field allowing the user to set a series of values of their choice.
I now have to determine a new method of using the camera produced file names. Unless this info is hidden away in the manual in which case I will eventually find out how to implement the feature I want.

I have had practise! Have had 3 E-M1s and one has had to be returned and no problems closing the boxes up (empty or otherwise) :D

Ian

Ian
2nd December 2013, 03:37 PM
I'm not seeing anything unusual about the image numbering at my end so far...

Ian

Gwyver
2nd December 2013, 05:14 PM

Derek,
Based on my experience E-3, E-M5, E-M1, the filenaming system remains unchanged.
Go to Menu settings, Cog H, item = "Edit Filename"

From your comment about the user set first character, I assume you use sRGB mode. Select this and you will see a set of boxes enabling you to change each of the first 4 characters. (In AdobeRGB mode the leading character is always "_" but you can change the next 3 characters in the same way).

If you ensure that each of the character selection boxes = "Off", the image filename will maintain month and day(date) values as you have previously known.

By the way, if you want a more sophisticated file renamer - which can handle entire folders of images - I suggest you Google for Bulk Rename Utility.
See: http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Main_Intro.php

I use BRU to replace the leading characters with the YYYYMMDD of the date taken, prior to ingesting the images into Lightroom as I find the LR name reprocessor can't do this properly.

PS Menu setting Cog H, Filename allows for auto incrementing or resetting the image sequence number after a SD card change just as it always has done.

Hope this helps.

Ian
2nd December 2013, 06:22 PM
You may not need more software if you already have Photoshop and/or Lightroom as PS comes with Bridge and this has a very sophisticated batch rename tool that can use all sorts of file attributes and metadata for naming and Lightroom's export function has much the same renaming power.

Ian

DerekW
2nd December 2013, 06:50 PM
Gwyver

Many thanks, setting the three leading characters to Off enabled me to get the file name format that I want and desire. Why did they not indicate that in the manual...???

I have been through all types of file renaming software and when the E series (I think it was) introduced the ability to alter the leading character in the file name I was very pleased. I was a bit worried with the E series as I started with the P as the leading character and it has now got to Z (zed or zee) and I was getting worried in case this indicated the end of my playing with cameras, however a new series of cameras has enabled me to start with B. So I will be crashing out before I get to Z.

Do not get me started on camera makers that insist of putting DSCN as a permanent feature in the file names.

ian p
10th December 2013, 09:29 PM
DSCN: Don't Shoot Canon or Nikon. I kind of like it!

Ross the fiddler
10th December 2013, 10:31 PM
What do you use the numbering for? I never look at the file names.

When I added the E-M5 to my collection, I changed the first character to differentiate between the two sources of files when I've used the two different cameras & saved the photos in the same folder (P=E30 & O=E-M5).

ian p
11th December 2013, 08:11 AM
Ah! Thanks. I'll remember that if I get another camera. If I need to differentiate them.

OlyPaul
11th December 2013, 09:05 AM
Like Ian I just rename them on import but in ACDSee, I use year month date hour min and sec followed by camera model this ensures there can never be a duplicate name and they will be displayed chronologically when viewed by lesser programs that just use the file name, it also allows me to tell with a glance from just the file name which model of camera was used.:)

http://www.pbase.com/paulsilkphotography/image/153731792.jpg

ian p
11th December 2013, 09:14 AM
Ah! "lesser programs"

OlyPaul
11th December 2013, 10:05 AM
Ah! "lesser programs"

LOL...Well you can also do it in OV3 which is supplied with the camera but you cannot save it as a preset and you also have to enter the the model number manually where as ACDsee and LR do it automaticlly from the exif info.:)

http://www.pbase.com/paulsilkphotography/image/153732033.jpg

ian p
11th December 2013, 02:15 PM
I was assuming 'lesser programs' probably meant the computers file manager. Yes, I use Digikam that has similar bulk renaming (http://scribblesandsnaps.com/2010/06/03/renaming-photos-with-digikam/) capabilities. OV3 is useless to me as it doesn't run on my computer.