PDA

View Full Version : Firmware 1.1 issue after installation

kevm1
30th November 2013, 05:44 PM
Installed the new firmware update yesterday with no issues. Taken a few images today using the camera and then went to import on my Iphone via Olympus Image Share which I've done several times before without issue.

Now following the firmware update, OIS app just says No Photos. If you take the image using the phone to control the camera, then OIS can see the image. If however you take the image using the camera then connect wireless to your phone then OIS can't see the image.

I've just had a friend in Thailand e mail me with the same issue. He's previously like me been able to take images via the camera then import via Iphone and OIS app with no problems but now can't as OIS says no photos. If he uses the phone to control the camera and take the image, then OIS can see the photo and import it,

Can't see any reason other than an issue with the new firmware, two different camera opposite sides of the world both just updated firmware.

Anyone else experiencing this?

photo_owl
30th November 2013, 07:01 PM
Anyone else experiencing this?

No

(obviously this is only me, but scientifically it only takes one to disprove a theory)

tommy781
30th November 2013, 07:09 PM
I use Android on galaxy s4 and have not problem after installation of new firmware. Have you write to olympus support for this problem?try to uninstall and reinstall the app

bilbo
30th November 2013, 07:46 PM
Are you shooting in RAW only? I think OI Share can only see jpegs.

photo_owl
30th November 2013, 08:18 PM
Are you shooting in RAW only? I think OI Share can only see jpegs.

don't spoil the fun - these 2 have special versions that can according to their previous thread.

kevm1
30th November 2013, 09:00 PM
Shooting in RAW as I previously did with no issues, OIS just see's jpeg thumbnail built into RAW file.
Also just re installed app but no difference. What I don't understand is if you take the image using the phone as a remote thru OIS then it sees the images ok but if you use the camera then it doesn't.
I've just shot 8 test images alternating between the phone and camera alternatively and OIS app still only sees 4 of the 8 images, the one taken using the phone as a remote.
Again this is identical to my friend in Thailand who has tried the same thing. Neither of us had this issue before the firmware update and neither of us are doing anything different. I've just returned from Thailand / Malaysia and was using OIS to upload to facebook at the end of each day and never used the camera as a remote.

kevm1
30th November 2013, 09:04 PM
Thanks Bilbo for your help it's much appreciated and has put me on the right track.

My previous background has seen me working for many years with all pro NIkon kit and recently sold off lots of Nikon gear including two D3x's and two D700's along with some beautiful glass, all pro gear.

I'm fairly new to the EM1 although I own 2 EM5's. The EM1 has caught me on the hop a couple of times and this is one of them. What I didn't realize is that the camera can itself change your setting of RAW only in certain circumstances. If you're set to RAW only and then use OIS to operate the camera it will shoot in RAW + jpeg without you having made a change in image quality thus I've mislead myself into thinking that it was in RAW mode so I must be seeing the embedded jpeg from the RAW file which wasn't the case.

I've also found that if you've selected RAW only which is so normal for me then look at some of the features on your new toy image quality can be changed without you realising it. IWhen I first got the camera and set RAw only I then looked at a few features like the color wheel, shadow highlight curve and then found out later that the camera had selected a jpeg option. I know that for HDR, color wheel etc this will occour on a jpeg but didn't realise the camera was changing my selection in the background.

Again Bilbo thanks for your help, made me stop and think which is what I needed. What I didn't need was some wise owl who obviously can only sit back and make fun of other forum members who for whatever reason weren't seeing things correctly and therefore making inncorrect statements unintentionally. Fortunately, there are plenty members on here who are glad to help others out.

Peter_Hartland
30th November 2013, 09:47 PM
I had exactly the same problem on my Mac, tried reformatting the memory card still no images. Finally decided to completely shut down the Mac, restart & problem gone both in LR5 & Viewer 3

photo_owl
30th November 2013, 09:54 PM
.... please explain then how when the camera is set to RAW only, OIS can see the image if it's taken thru the app but not the ones where the camera alone was used to take the image.

I didn't write the spec so I can't 'explain' but that's how it is, and was - which also seemed inconsistent with your previous post (which I softly questioned at the time)

I can reason that when OIS is used for image capture a compatable JPEG has to be created for display on the device screen at the time, in the same way as the camera and it's screen image when shooting RAW. There is a degree of compression in this file but it's full pixel (Large).

If you want a particular jpeg size or file size you can either shoot RAW+jpeg or process a JPEG in camera from the RAW by selecting it and running raw data edit - it will create a jpeg that you can then download with OIS.

Ross the fiddler
1st December 2013, 12:52 AM
Despite the banter, ;) the discussion is helpful. I have an order in for the Stylus 1 (Baby, Mini or Toy OM-D) which has the same WiFi control functions (except the the QR code, manual password instead) as the E-M1 (& also includes zoom control) & details like this can be sifted to keep in the back of my mind when I get to play with the new toy.

*chr

Alpha1
1st December 2013, 08:43 AM
Hi Ross

Let us know how you get on with the Stylus as on paper it would make a convenient back up.