PDA

View Full Version : Choices

magicaxeman
30th November 2013, 12:26 AM
I like the idea of a med telephoto for portraits and have been looking at whats available @ 60mm.

I've got two choices, one significantly cheaper than the other.

The Sigma 60mm f2.8 DN - Tests show it as razor sharp, even wide open, but the min focus distance is 50cm and it has no macro ability.
However I could add a set of meike extension tubes for around £35 which though it wont give me 1:1 will help.

Total cost would be £164

Next is the Olympus 60mm f2.8 macro, of course it focuses closer, has 1:1 magnification ratio, but not as sharp as the sigma wide open.

Total cost £369 so over double the price of the sigma + extension tubes.

Olympus has a 2 year warranty, the Sigma has a 3 year warranty.

I should add that I shoot in low light a lot so performance wide open is important to me, I dont want to have to stop down.

Anyone tried both? thoughts?

Ralph Harwood
30th November 2013, 01:31 AM
Hi there Magicaxeman!

I don't have either of the lenses you have suggested, but I do have an alternative - the Samyang 85mm f1.4. It's very sharp, focuses again to about 50cm (I think - this is from memory after taking photos of flowers) and costs £275. It is manual focus and aperture and mine is a 4/3 with an adapter (I mostly use 4/3 cameras at the moment) but it does have a little extra range and is a whole stop quicker so ideal for poor lighting. I bought it for portraiture, but I can't persuade the kids to stay still long enough and the wife doens't like her picture taken!

I'm sorry if this has widened your options rather than narrowed them but I really like this lens so I thought I should mention it.

Cheers,

Ralph.

David M
30th November 2013, 04:41 PM
Love my Samyang 85mm. My Tamron 90mm is now just a macro lens since getting the Samyang. There's also manual focus 50mm lenses as fast as f/0.95 for m4/3 out there.

jamespetts
30th November 2013, 10:39 PM
I think that the only sensible way of choosing between the Olympus and Sigma lenses is by deciding whether you want macro. If you do, get the Olympus lens. It is extremely good for macro, and good for general work, too. If you do not want macro, get the Sigma lens. From what I have heard, it is just as good for non-macro work as the Olympus.

photo_owl
30th November 2013, 11:14 PM
DX0 has them remarkably similar in performance across the metrics, with the Sigma just edging it.

The Oly is also splash/dust proof.

As you point out, there is a significant pricing differential!

Imageryone
30th November 2013, 11:36 PM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OLYMPUS-M-ZUIKO-DIGITAL-60mm-f2-8-ED-MACRO-With-Olympus-Macro-Hood-/171184215539?pt=UK_Lenses_Filters_Lenses&hash=item27db5fd5f3

On Ebay at the moment.

Peter_Hartland
1st December 2013, 10:03 AM
I have seen the results from the sigma & having done so I would go for that fro portrait work, if you want a macro use the raynox 150 works really well & super images

mike_j
1st December 2013, 10:19 AM
It's worth remembering that ultra sharp is not always kind for portraits. The best portraits are often those with less than clinically sharp rendering.

jamespetts
1st December 2013, 11:36 AM
It's worth remembering that ultra sharp is not always kind for portraits. The best portraits are often those with less than clinically sharp rendering.

One can always make something less sharp in post; one can't do the converse, however.

magicaxeman
1st December 2013, 05:11 PM
Thanks guys, 85mm is too long for me, if it wasn't then I'd go for the Oly 75mm f1.8.

I think I'm going to hang fire until after Christmas, you never know what santa may bring ;)