PDA

View Full Version : Em1

Soloforce
28th November 2013, 11:49 PM
Is the Em1 any better than the Sony A7R ??

jamespetts
29th November 2013, 12:05 AM
Yes. And also no.

I'm afraid that that question is rather like asking whether a lawnmower is any better than a dishwasher. They are both good at different things. The E-M1 has image stabilisation, has a much more complete native lens system, has much smaller and lighter native lenses and (with native lenses) the autofocus is much quicker than the A7R. The A7R has better video capabilities, higher resolution, allows shallower depth of field at the same focal length and aperture (which can be either good or bad) and can be used with legacy 35mm film lenses at their intended angles of view (although lenses designed for film will generally not have the resolving power necessary to make the most of a modern 35mm sized digital sensor).

Olybirder
29th November 2013, 12:11 AM
Is the Em1 any better than the Sony A7R ??
Hard to say as I haven't tried the Sony. As you had an E-M1 and didn't like it, the best way is for you to try an A7R to see if it suits your needs better. :)

Ron

Gwyver
29th November 2013, 07:15 AM
I suggest you have a look at this and then decide which best matches your style of photography.
http://www.pekkapotka.com/journal/2013/11/11/tempted-by-the-sony-a7r.html

delaneyb
29th November 2013, 10:35 AM
I've briefly handled an A7 when I was picking up my E-M1. Its a nice camera, feels good in the hand and of course allows native 35mm lenses to be used as they were intended. The EVF is not quite as large or clear as the E-M1, but is fine IMHO. The shutter is very loud.

I may get one one day to use with my collection of 16 OM MF lenses, IF the image quality is OK in the corners.
As I have a nice set of M43 primes, and am very happy with the IQ of the EM1/M5, I can see no reason to want an A7 instead of the EM1. Coming to it afresh, its definitely pros and cons and probably based around the lenses that would be used on the A7 - very lacking in native glass for now.
I think there will be a lot of used A7s on the market when people find they either can't get the glass they want, or their legacy glass under performs.....