PDA

View Full Version : EM-1 firmaware 1.1 out

brian1208
28th November 2013, 07:18 AM
I've just updated my EM-1 (still a nerve wracking business, even though they do show a little rotating circle to indicate its in progress)

The camera is still working, so that's passed its first hurdle. I won't be able to do any real testing until later today

Find it by the usual way, just plug in the USB cable with the updater installed on your PC

StephenL
28th November 2013, 08:17 AM
Quick question, Brian. Didi it reset your presets?

brian1208
28th November 2013, 08:40 AM
I have no "Mysets" but as far as I can see everything else has remained as I had it set

bredman
28th November 2013, 08:55 AM
Same here.

bilbo
28th November 2013, 09:03 AM
Is there a bug fix list anywhere? Other than through the Olympus Updater program?

thanks

jmunkki
28th November 2013, 09:11 AM
Updated my camera and both Olympus lenses. I had to read the instructions really carefully to actually get the updater to do its work. Key points:

- Remove the memory card from the camera.
- Connect to USB and select Storage mode.

Don't rush it. Read everything carefully.

http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/download/software/camera/cameraupdate.cfm

P.S. Installing the updater on MacOS was also a surprisingly complicated process that required a fairly lengthy reboot of the whole OS. The updater is from 2012 and probably uses a kernel extension, which worried me a bit because I'm using MacOS 10.9, which was released this year...

pault
28th November 2013, 09:19 AM
Hi, updated successfully. "Mysets" remain unchanged.
pault

StephenL
28th November 2013, 09:27 AM
P.S. Installing the updater on MacOS was also a surprisingly complicated process that required a fairly lengthy reboot of the whole OS. The updater is from 2012 and probably uses a kernel extension, which worried me a bit because I'm using MacOS 10.9, which was released this year...
That surprised me. I too use 10.9, and it did require a restart, but the whole thing took less than 2 minutes including reboot.

Ross the fiddler
28th November 2013, 10:00 AM
I've just updated my EM-1 (still a nerve wracking business, even though they do show a little rotating circle to indicate its in progress)

The camera is still working, so that's passed its first hurdle. I won't be able to do any real testing until later today

Find it by the usual way, just plug in the USB cable with the updater installed on your PC

You forgot the most important thing (for the camera), to use a freshly fully charged battery! *yes ;)

Ross the fiddler
28th November 2013, 10:03 AM
Is there a bug fix list anywhere? Other than through the Olympus Updater program?

thanks

This is what they provide here (http://dl01.olympus-imaging.com/ww/ud2/ENU/0001/1090/index01a.html) which is found on this page (http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/download/software/firm/e1/).

* Compensation for chromatic aberration is supported when using the E-M1 and Panasonic’s LUMIX G VARIO 14-140mm/F3.5-5.6 ASPH./POWER O.I.S. (H-FS14140) together.
* Stabilization of shooting in the Sports mode and Children mode of the SCN mode or C-AF has been improved.
* Live bulb image quality while noise reduction is on has been improved.
* Improved AF operation.

StephenL
28th November 2013, 02:47 PM
Is it just me, or has the gentle wooshing sound plus the slight metallic chatter of the IS gone, or at least quietened? I recall the same happening with the first firmware update of the E-M5.

wellyboot
28th November 2013, 02:48 PM
Just done mine after putting it off all morning, as it is such a nerve wracking process!! :eek:
I'm not convinced that the animated circle did much to help calm me down, I would much prefer a more explicit progress bar!!
Still all done and dusted now, Thank goodness!

Wee man
28th November 2013, 02:52 PM
Another update another Valium. All seems well, woosh still with my copy

Olybirder
28th November 2013, 02:54 PM
I haven't had a chance to do mine yet but, as I have been having occasional problems with my wi-fi connection over the past few days, I think I will dig out the cable and make a wired connection to the hub. I don't want to end up with an expensive brick.

Ron

StephenL
28th November 2013, 02:55 PM
Just had another listen, and you're right, Ed. It IS still there. Must have been the tractor outside, or Dibnah barking, which masked the noise.

Wee man
28th November 2013, 02:59 PM
All seems well but can no longer get Radio Scotland on my E-M1 the update must be ready for after the vote?

Olybirder
28th November 2013, 03:02 PM
All seems well but can no longer get Radio Scotland on my E-M1 the update must be ready for after the vote?
Does the screen still just tilt or is it fully articulating now Ed?

Ron

brian1208
28th November 2013, 03:07 PM
So many of us now have no fingernails - it was so much easier with the canon, download to card, insert card and there it was - done

With the Olympus procedure I'm always convinced there will be a power outage half way through :)

Wee man
28th November 2013, 03:08 PM
You have a screen? Now I know mine was a Friday afternoon build.

Sorry must be sensible I am taking the camera into the garden to take some repeat shots to see if I can spot any differences.

David Morison
28th November 2013, 05:48 PM
I use so many different lenses on mine and have had no lockups that I've no idea whether it is any different - at least it still appears usable!

David

dogsbody
28th November 2013, 06:59 PM
and relax,,,,,

Iansky
29th November 2013, 09:07 AM
I updated mine last night as well with 12mm on, no update for 12mm (still shows 1.0) yet there was for the 45mm & 75mm that now both show lens firmware as 1.1 same as the camera.

It took ages to download the new firmware to the laptop (Mac with good Internet connection) and the camera screen is unnerving but all seems to be on board.

Just wish as others have said there was an easier way, download to card and then install from card!!

I intend to try the camera over the weekend and see if I notice any changes in AF.

Olybirder
29th November 2013, 09:14 AM
I think the Camera Updater comes as part of Olympus Viewer 3 which ships with the E-M1. The latest version was already installed on my Mac when I checked last night. Installing it from the disc should be quicker than downloading it from the website.

I installed 1.1 last night without any problems, although it is definitely very unnerving. I checked the instructions carefully at each stage a couple of times before proceeding. I also used a wired connection as my wi-fi connection has been a bit 'iffy' lately.

Ron

Smallcreep
29th November 2013, 04:15 PM
Not the first time I've used the Olympus updater, but this time around felt especially nervous after all the strains of E-M1 purchase. The little wheel started to spin ... and span ... and span some more. My nerve cracked, I couldn't take any more spin. So went off to make a cup of soup. When I came back (cock-a-leekie in case you were wondering), a lovely bright OK on the LCD screen. And all settings (including mysets) intact. When's the next one? Might need to stock up on soup.

pault
29th November 2013, 04:19 PM
Hi, have you got the 12-50mm. Noticed today its now version 1.2.

Shaw
29th November 2013, 06:58 PM
I updated my E-M1 and 12-50 at the same time - no problem.

bilbo
29th November 2013, 08:15 PM
Took much longer than the suggested few minutes, even on my 8GB i5 laptop, so I went for a relaxing shower... When I returned the EM-1 screen said "OK" and it was. :)

Just upgraded to Windoze 8.1 too, and that seems to be working as required...

I think tonight's curry will be just fine. ;)

StephenL
29th November 2013, 08:26 PM
Win 8.1 is what finally drove me to an iMac, but that's another story ....

ozzie
29th November 2013, 09:54 PM
Not having as much luck here updater connects to camera says there is update 1.1 starts to download then says error can not connect to camera failure.
Looks like another call to olympus on Monday :confused:

pault
29th November 2013, 10:04 PM
Hi Ozzie.
It might be the olympus server is being overloaded, hence you unable to connect.
Give a while and try again
Hope this helps
Pault

magicaxeman
30th November 2013, 12:32 AM
It took ages for the updater to download the update, 20 mins in I was convinced the camera was "bricked" but thankfully I left it and 5 mins later it started applying the update.

Ross the fiddler
30th November 2013, 01:23 AM

That particular update is for using it on Panny bodies, so no particular rush for that if you don't own a Panny body. I haven't done the last E-M5 update (1.7) because it was only to use the VF-4 & I can't see that happening, so it can wait until another update that has some use to me. :rolleyes:

Ross the fiddler
30th November 2013, 01:27 AM
Took much longer than the suggested few minutes, even on my 8GB i5 laptop, so I went for a relaxing shower... When I returned the EM-1 screen said "OK" and it was. :)

Just upgraded to Windoze 8.1 too, and that seems to be working as required...

I think tonight's curry will be just fine. ;)

At 6.8GB (Win 8.1), it won't be a fast experience for me with our slow internet. BTW, did you need to have everything backed up & did you need to re-install any programs?

ozzie
30th November 2013, 06:42 AM
Hi Ozzie.
It might be the olympus server is being overloaded, hence you unable to connect.
Give a while and try again
Hope this helps
Pault

Thanks Pault
Been trying most of the day updater starts to download then says can't connect to camera even though it has connected and looked at the firmware hope this doesn't mean a trip to service
Cheers
John

Ross the fiddler
30th November 2013, 08:23 AM
Thanks Pault
Been trying most of the day updater starts to download then says can't connect to camera even though it has connected and looked at the firmware hope this doesn't mean a trip to service
Cheers
John

John, can the camera connect to OV3 & download photos that way (not that you would normally do it when you can download from the card)? Obviously, you are using the latest version of the Digital Camera Updater (Win: ver. 1.03 / Mac: ver. 1.04).)?

deckitout
30th November 2013, 08:51 AM
Win 8.1 is what finally drove me to an iMac, but that's another story ....

Me to, I am loving my iMac experience, wished I had done it years ago

Olybirder
30th November 2013, 09:54 AM
Obviously, you are using the latest version of the Digital Camera Updater (Win: ver. 1.03 / Mac: ver. 1.04).)?
Ross, I think the latest Mac version is 1.06. I know as I checked mine before I downloaded the update. I don't think it should be causing Ozzie's problem though.

Ron

crimbo
30th November 2013, 10:39 AM
In the same boat as John...the camera is not seen

photo_owl
30th November 2013, 10:47 AM
Thanks Pault
Cheers
John

one thought John, I saw this posted elsewhere " Eventually an OK came onto the LCD, but interestingly enough on the computer screen it acted as if it was starting the process and then showed an error message saying the camera was not found. I ignored that, shut the camera off and restarted and it indicated all was fine, 1.1 was installed and working so it's just fine" am windered if yours might be either related, or even the same and that your camera is updated...?

co-incidentially the poster was relatively local to you!

the other alternative (assuming the above doesn't apply) would be to try again on a different computer. From your description I see a computer issue rather than a camera one.

paullus
30th November 2013, 11:28 AM
I did my update the other day I don't like the process either.
The system employed by Nikon and maybe others is much safer. The update is downloaded to your PC/MAC which you transfer to a blank SDHC memory card which is then fitted into the camera. The firmware update is then uploaded from the card. Therefore there is no risk of bricking your camera due to a dropped internet connection or power cut.
I'm sure it wouldn't be to hard for Oly to adopt the same method.

Steve

Westy
30th November 2013, 12:30 PM
Actually Olympus's method is safer, there are less steps to take. The firmware update to the camera or lens doesn't start till the firmware has been fully downloaded to the computer. As long as you have a fully charged battery in the camera and leave the camera alone till the update is complete it is perfectly safe, or as safe as lit can be. :D

crimbo
30th November 2013, 12:32 PM
sorted it
When the camera screen highlights the Storage option...press OK on the camera
...worked after that

paullus
30th November 2013, 12:48 PM
Actually Olympus's method is safer, there are less steps to take. The firmware update to the camera or lens doesn't start till the firmware has been fully downloaded to the computer. As long as you have a fully charged battery in the camera and leave the camera alone till the update is complete it is perfectly safe, or as safe as lit can be. :D

Okay but what happens if your computer freezes, crashes or there is a power cut during the actual update process? I just feel far more comfortable and in control when updating my Wife's Nikon and so I prefer that method*yes

Steve

Smallcreep
30th November 2013, 02:04 PM
Providing reassurance about computer operations is a thankless and potentially risky task, but as Westy says the update is fully downloaded before the update process starts, and you can guard against other risks by closing all other running applications. Laptop users can ensure that their computer batteries are fully charged. If there's a power cut, you just have to start from scratch and hope for the best. It is not a foregone conclusion that an interruption to the update process will result in a dead camera. I have tested this, not exhaustively, but enough to have some confidence that you can stop the process then restart it from the beginning without inevitable damage. Not that I would recommend doing this except in extremis. Either way, card or direct transfer, there is an element of risk and it would be interesting to discover if there were any statistics on failure rates.

Alpha1
30th November 2013, 05:27 PM
Updated my E-m1 and my mZuiko 14-150 which was v1.0 now v1.1. No problems at all.

The process is very similar to that used in Fuji X-Pro cameras, so it is not unique to Olympus.

ozzie
30th November 2013, 09:16 PM
John, can the camera connect to OV3 & download photos that way (not that you would normally do it when you can download from the card)? Obviously, you are using the latest version of the Digital Camera Updater (Win: ver. 1.03 / Mac: ver. 1.04).)?

Hi Ross
Yes the camera operates fine with the computer downloads photos ,so it's not the camera/computer connection .i have the latest version updater and just in case I downloaded the latest version onto my laptop and tried with that but the same result. The error message is from the updater and occurred about one minute into the update and it resets the camera back to the connection screen.
I will try again today but am not very confident
Cheers
John

ozzie
30th November 2013, 09:19 PM
one thought John, I saw this posted elsewhere " Eventually an OK came onto the LCD, but interestingly enough on the computer screen it acted as if it was starting the process and then showed an error message saying the camera was not found. I ignored that, shut the camera off and restarted and it indicated all was fine, 1.1 was installed and working so it's just fine" am windered if yours might be either related, or even the same and that your camera is updated...?

co-incidentially the poster was relatively local to you!

the other alternative (assuming the above doesn't apply) would be to try again on a different computer. From your description I see a computer issue rather than a camera one.

Thanks photo owl
I have tried turning the camera on and off and resetting all and tried on a different computer still no go
Cheers
John

Peter_Hartland
30th November 2013, 09:43 PM
Thankfully mine also went without incident but did bite my nails a bit

Ross the fiddler
30th November 2013, 10:05 PM
Hi Ross
Yes the camera operates fine with the computer downloads photos ,so it's not the camera/computer connection .i have the latest version updater and just in case I downloaded the latest version onto my laptop and tried with that but the same result. The error message is from the updater and occurred about one minute into the update and it resets the camera back to the connection screen.
I will try again today but am not very confident
Cheers
John

So it's not as simple as Chris's situation then? :confused:

sorted it
When the camera screen highlights the Storage option...press OK on the camera
...worked after that

ozzie
2nd December 2013, 12:52 AM
Firmware Update
Bought the camera and boxes to work this morning expecting to have to send the camera away for repair. Decided to download Updater on the work computer and have one last try and it all worked fine !

Now this baffles me my desktop at home has updated my E3/E5/Ep1 and Ep3 all with no problems but wouldn't update the EM1. Even the home laptop gave the same error. wondering if there was a problem on the Olympus site over the weekend.

Cheers
John*chr

Ross the fiddler
2nd December 2013, 01:02 AM
Firmware Update
Bought the camera and boxes to work this morning expecting to have to send the camera away for repair. Decided to download Updater on the work computer and have one last try and it all worked fine !

Now this baffles me my desktop at home has updated my E3/E5/Ep1 and Ep3 all with no problems but wouldn't update the EM1. Even the home laptop gave the same error. wondering if there was a problem on the Olympus site over the weekend.

Cheers
John*chr

Maybe. *shrug At least it is updated now, but the update program for updating models from E-M5 onwards had to be replaced from the those earlier versions (for those models you've listed). In other words it needed to be un-installed (as far as I know) & the latest Updater installed for the E-M5 (& later models) to update as you have indicated above.

Before updating the firmware, install the Digital Camera Updater from the CD-ROM that is packaged with the E-M5 or download the latest version of the Digital Camera Updater (Win: ver. 1.03 / Mac: ver. 1.04).
You cannot update the firmware if updating with the earlier version of the Digital Camera Updater.
OLYMPUS Digital Camera Updater (http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/download/software/camera/cameraupdate.cfm)

ozzie
2nd December 2013, 02:43 AM
Maybe. *shrug At least it is updated now, but the update program for updating models from E-M5 onwards had to be replaced from the those earlier versions (for those models you've listed). In other words it needed to be un-installed (as far as I know) & the latest Updater installed for the E-M5 (& later models) to update as you have indicated above.

Thanks Ross
yesterday I installed updater on my laptop it has never had updater installed before but gave the same error message as my desktop
I am hoping all will be good now, it is a great camera and I cant wait for my next break so I can put it to good use
Cheers
JOhn

Ross the fiddler
2nd December 2013, 03:15 AM
Thanks Ross
yesterday I installed updater on my laptop it has never had updater installed before but gave the same error message as my desktop
I am hoping all will be good now, it is a great camera and I cant wait for my next break so I can put it to good use
Cheers
JOhn

I have that small niggling doubt about passing up the E-M1 when it was available for me (on pre-order), but with bags packed with just a few things to run (from bushfires) if we needed to, it helped me to rethink my needs as opposed to my wants & how much stuff we can accumulate. I think I'm going to have some fun with the Stylus 1 (I gave in to having more stuff rather easily) instead while still having the E-M5 kit for the better images (even if some are using MF with the Sigma 150 macro lens as I did here (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=30414)).

I wonder if there was a modem cache issue to Olympus with your attempted update at home after the PC failed? Probably not, but there are oddities that happen that can leave us scratching our heads sometimes.

GRAHAMJ
2nd December 2013, 08:20 AM
Good morning all,

For what it is worth I have had the same problem in the past with the updater and new models...E3, E5 and EM5. I had to delete the updater program from the computer and download and install a fresh copy each time I bought a new model. Presumably the old version does not recognise the new models. After doing that all was fine.

I have never had a problem actually upgrading the firmware. Just need patience and let it do its own thing and resist the urge to touch or tinker with the computer or camera whilst it is ongoing!

Graham

Vulcan1500
2nd December 2013, 03:29 PM
For some reason, every time I try to connect and update the software it says that the software cannot be updated on this camera but the software version is listed as 1.0

jamsa
2nd December 2013, 03:33 PM
In case this helps ensure your camera is connected directly with the pc and not via a usb terminal extension lead...

Vulcan1500
2nd December 2013, 03:35 PM
it is connected directly to the computer.

Vulcan1500
2nd December 2013, 03:38 PM
unable to use this function on this camera.

Vulcan1500
2nd December 2013, 04:05 PM
Sorry, I got it fixed.

Olybirder
2nd December 2013, 04:06 PM
Sorry, I got it fixed.
What was wrong?

Ron

Vulcan1500
2nd December 2013, 04:17 PM
I did not leave it in storage mode.

Ian
2nd December 2013, 04:25 PM
So many of us now have no fingernails - it was so much easier with the canon, download to card, insert card and there it was - done

With the Olympus procedure I'm always convinced there will be a power outage half way through :)

It's actually much the same as the Canon system. The firmware is copied to the camera directly from the server first instead of being copied by you to a memory card. From them on it's the same, the firmware is flashed to the non-volatile memory of the camera. If the battery failed half way through with either camera you'd be equally stuffed :)

Ian

Ian
2nd December 2013, 04:28 PM
I did my update the other day I don't like the process either.
The system employed by Nikon and maybe others is much safer. The update is downloaded to your PC/MAC which you transfer to a blank SDHC memory card which is then fitted into the camera. The firmware update is then uploaded from the card. Therefore there is no risk of bricking your camera due to a dropped internet connection or power cut.
I'm sure it wouldn't be to hard for Oly to adopt the same method.

Steve

This is not correct (see my previous post). The Olympus way of doing things is as safe as anyone else's. There is no way firmware would be updated direct from the server over an internet connection. It just seems like that.

Ian

Ian
2nd December 2013, 04:31 PM
Okay but what happens if your computer freezes, crashes or there is a power cut during the actual update process? I just feel far more comfortable and in control when updating my Wife's Nikon and so I prefer that method*yes

Steve

The flashing process would not start until the update file is downloaded safely to the camera. The flashing process, which is the critical part, is independent of the computer the camera is connected to. The system is no less safe than any other camera or device that can accept updated firmware.

Ian

raichea
2nd December 2013, 06:17 PM
The flashing process would not start until the update file is downloaded safely to the camera. The flashing process, which is the critical part, is independent of the computer the camera is connected to. The system is no less safe than any other camera or device that can accept updated firmware.

Ian
This is what I would have assumed... it's probably even safer than the SD card method, as Olympus (in one description of the update process, at least) tell you to remove the memory card. This means there must be enough spare RAM inside the camera to hold the update image and do the necessary processing. This has the benefit that you're not even depending on having a good connection to the SD card - dirty contacts could cause problems.

paullus
2nd December 2013, 06:44 PM
Okay that's fine now it's been explained properly.
I think that concerns have arisen due peoples lack of understanding of and different experiences of the time it takes to complete the process. With some it is completed in a few minutes others have to wait longer while biting their nails and fearing the worst. The time difference is therefore due to server load and internet download speed not the actual flashing process.
The reassurance that the upgrade isn't started until the file is completely downloaded makes all the difference to me at least.
So now I know, thanks Ian.

Steve

crimbo
2nd December 2013, 09:04 PM
So... If the file does not download fully or you disconnect before the OK, the camera should still operate under the older firmware?

raichea
2nd December 2013, 10:50 PM
So... If the file does not download fully or you disconnect before the OK, the camera should still operate under the older firmware?
There are several techniques to ensure a safe firmware update - using hash/checksum methods to ensure the download has no errors, dual boot roms, bootblock protection... all of these and more have been used for updating PC motherboard firmware for several years. I would hope Olympus take suitable precautions when updating camera firmware.

That said, I wouldn't experiment to prove your hypothesis!