PDA

View Full Version : Pictures and info about the new mid-range E-3 alternative

Ian
22nd September 2008, 04:51 PM
You can see several pictures of the prototype E-3 understudy over at our other site DPNow.com, along with my take on what it has to offer us:

http://dpnow.com/5209.html

Ian

R MacE
22nd September 2008, 05:02 PM
That looks like a very nice model indeed, I notice the AF mode button is on the back (L/H) together with what I assume is the Drive mode. Dedicated DOF preview, external WB sensor and PC Sync too. I'm assuming that there is a rear command dial like the E-3, can you confirm that?

Also, the Metering mode button, where is it situated?

I expect the Mode Dial has re-appeared to allow the addition of scene modes.

It's going to be competition to the E-3 by the looks of things which is good news as the E-3 replacement will need to up the ante when it appears.

Ian
22nd September 2008, 05:07 PM
That looks like a very nice model indeed, I notice the AF mode button is on the back (L/H) together with what I assume is the Drive mode. Dedicated DOF preview, external WB sensor and PC Sync too. I'm assuming that there is a rear command dial like the E-3, can you confirm that?

Also, the Metering mode button, where is it situated?

I expect the Mode Dial has re-appeared to allow the addition of scene modes.

It's going to be competition to the E-3 by the looks of things which is good news as the E-3 replacement will need to up the ante when it appears.

I would hope they can get the new 12MP LiveMOS sensor into the E-3 (and the other Oly models) asap.

There is a rear command dial in much the same place as the E-3. The new mode knob has no legends on it yet, so it's hard to know what the final layout will be.

Ian

R MacE
22nd September 2008, 05:23 PM
Excellent about the command dials, long overdue.

The meter mode? direct access/menu?

It's promising but unfortunately we have to wait a bit longer.

Any word on Video capability?

HughofBardfield
23rd September 2008, 08:38 AM
Going to be interesting to see what happens to E3 prices... EA-1 (or whatever) next year, 12MP E3 (presumably E4???) sometime soon. If I had the money for an E3 ATM, I think I'd hold off buying one.