PDA

View Full Version : Comparison of Lens performance

DerekW
26th November 2013, 12:04 PM
Having had a fondle of the E-M1 and found it it very handleable I would like to hear how the 4/3 lenses and the M4/3 lenses compare.

The main lenses I am interested in keeping or swapping are the
4/3 12-60mm
and the

4/3 50-200mm.

I like both lenses and the range they cover.

It is interesting to see that on the Olympus web site the 12-60mm is now priced at approximately 1200 and the 50-200 is not quoted.

How good are the nearest m4/3 lenses is it worth going with the 4/3 lenses on a E-M1 until Olympus expand their range of M4/3 lenses.

Is the M4/3 75 - 300 as good as the 4/3 50 200mm lens?

Would one expect m4/3 lenses to be cheaper to design and manufacture that 4/3 lenses? I remember the concerns when SLRs came in and many favourite standard 35mm camera lenses had to be totally redesigned to allow for the mirror flap to push out the lens further from the film plane.

I have seen mention of the Oly Lens route map - but not seen the URL for it - what is it please?

Any thoughts - experiences - Thanks for any comments.

Shaw
26th November 2013, 12:24 PM
http://www.four-thirds.org/en/microft/lens_chart.html

This is the micro four thirds lens chart.

Having had a fondle of the E-M1 and found it it very handleable I would like to hear how the 4/3 lenses and the M4/3 lenses compare.

The main lenses I am interested in keeping or swapping are the
4/3 12-60mm
and the

4/3 50-200mm.

I like both lenses and the range they cover.

It is interesting to see that on the Olympus web site the 12-60mm is now priced at approximately £1200 and the 50-200 is not quoted.

How good are the nearest m4/3 lenses is it worth going with the 4/3 lenses on a E-M1 until Olympus expand their range of M4/3 lenses.

Is the M4/3 75 - 300 as good as the 4/3 50 200mm lens?

Would one expect m4/3 lenses to be cheaper to design and manufacture that 4/3 lenses? I remember the concerns when SLRs came in and many favourite standard 35mm camera lenses had to be totally redesigned to allow for the mirror flap to push out the lens further from the film plane.

I have seen mention of the Oly Lens route map - but not seen the URL for it - what is it please?

Any thoughts - experiences - Thanks for any comments.

Bikie John
26th November 2013, 12:26 PM
It's very difficult to give definitive answers. However:

1. The big difference with micro-4/3 over "old" 4/3 comes with short focal length lenses. Because there is no mirror, the lens can sit much nearer to the sensor which means that a lot of the design compromises which you mention don't need to be made. The 12/1.8 and 17/1.8 are both beautifully small units, and great quality, incredibly so on both counts for their speed.

2. The new 12-40/2.8 is a real beauty. I'm not going to try and objectively compare it with the 12-60, which is also a fine lens, I will say that I am very pleased I ordered the kit which includes it. It's chunky by m43 standards but considerably smaller than the 12-60, but at a cost of a third of the reach at the long end (40mm vs 60).

3. The 4/3 50-200 is a jolly fine lens. Any micro-4/3 equivalent is unlikely to be significantly smaller - maybe lighter materials or smarter lens coating might save a few grams here and there but with a longer lens size and weight are determined by physics. I can't comment on the 70-300 quality-wise - it is smaller and lighter, because it is slower.

So I would suggest:

- if you suffer from GAS, get the kit with the 12-40. Otherwise carry on with the 12-60.

- if you want the speed (f/2.8-3.5) of the 50-200, stick with it. If light weight is more important, think about the Oly 75-300 or maybe the Panny 100-300.

£1200 for the 12-60 is taking the mick! It's a good lens, but....

Hope this is helpful ... John

benvendetta
26th November 2013, 12:39 PM
I think that many of us are wondering about this too. It is all very well having the best Olympus digital camera to date that is small and neat but which is compromised by the big old (but excellent) 43rd glass. I will probably stick with what I have until the m43rds range is expanded more and then seriously consider moving completely into the micro world.

Graham_of_Rainham
26th November 2013, 12:46 PM
Ian spent most of Sunday with the 12-60 on an E-M1, so will have lots of examples and a good feel for its performance.

DerekW
26th November 2013, 02:13 PM
Thanks everybody so far

No mention of the reduced focusing options when using the 4/3 lenses on the E-M1 - is it a deal breaker or only a topic of discussion

Re price of 12-16 I was somewhat surprised as well.

StephenL
26th November 2013, 02:59 PM
I am very happy with my range of m4\3 lenses. Partly 'cos I long since sold the 4/3. But one consideration could be weather resistance of the two lenses you mention.

DerekW
26th November 2013, 03:59 PM
Just spotted this thread which was started yesterday by Dave B...v....

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=30356

Apologies for not being more observant

Gwyver
26th November 2013, 05:12 PM
Derek,
I kept the 4/3 12-60 that came with my E-3, used it as a matter of preference with an E-M5 (even though the AF was slow & stuttery) and now find that on the E-M1 it is once again a pleasure to use.

When I bought the E-M1 I got the 12-40 Kit - because my goal was weight reduction for the system I carry and the discount w.r.t. buying body + lens separately was desirable.

The m4/3 is a real gem (in construction and for it's IQ) - though when used as a walk-around lens I find myself hankering after the additional focal length range provided by the 12-60.

As usual, only you can decide which aspect is the best compromise for your photographic style (i.e. system weight or FL range).

pvasc
26th November 2013, 05:26 PM
My observations are that it's difficult for me to tell the difference between the m4/3 40-150, and the 50-200, in some situations. The 75-300mm is even better than the 40-150. But with low light, and the fact that the M1 has PDAF on sensor I'd stick with it, F2.8-3.5 does come in handy sometimes, (lower the ISO the better), I'm not getting rid of mine. For the 12-60....I don't own it, I don't know, I think I would opt for the 12-40 if I were in that situation.

pvasc
26th November 2013, 05:47 PM
Have a look, one is the PL5 & 40-150, the other is the E-30 & 50-200

http://www.e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/1407/P5264946.jpg

http://www.e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/1407/P5262176-Edit-3.jpg

First one is cropped 1682 on the long edge, and the second is 2304 long edge.

brian1208
26th November 2013, 06:44 PM
As you say, difficult to tell apart, nice action in both shots.

Looks almost as if its the same piece of track shot on two different occasions?

pvasc
26th November 2013, 06:56 PM
As you say, difficult to tell apart, nice action in both shots.

Looks almost as if its the same piece of track shot on two different occasions?

Yes, I got there and didn't move. Not the best bit of the track, but above the fences. Still got fence tops. I was at the handicap parking by the main entrance / museum. The first shot I just missed both wheels off the ground. I also got this one, the first one, signed by Tom Sykes this past Saturday, and is now being mounted.

Graham_of_Rainham
26th November 2013, 07:19 PM
I'm always being impressed by the E-PL5 & 40-150. These show just what can be achieved with a "Lite" body and a "kit" lens, in the hands of someone who knows how to use them.

*chr

pvasc
26th November 2013, 07:24 PM
I'm always being impressed by the E-PL5 & 40-150. These show just what can be achieved with a "Lite" body and a "kit" lens, in the hands of someone who knows how to use them.

*chr

Thanks, but I'm still learning. I failed many time with both set-ups. My down fall was trying to use a slow shutter speed to show motion and keep from freezing the bikes, I'm not good at panning yet.

David Morison
26th November 2013, 07:59 PM
I'd love to own the 12-40mm or even the 12-60mm but now having the Leica 14-150mm after selling the 14-54 I just can't give it up. It now focuses fast enough on the E-M1 and has the extra reach, although probably not the IQ or the weatherproofing, but it can still do this:

http://dpnow.com/galleries/data/500/PB143083.jpg (http://dpnow.com/galleries/showphoto.php/photo/30745)

The performance of this lens says that if I had the 12-60mm I would stick to it, the 12-40mm can't be that much better - unless your arms are weak or bag is too small.

David

brian1208
26th November 2013, 09:26 PM
that is very nice David, CAF or SAF mode?

David Morison
26th November 2013, 09:49 PM
that is very nice David, CAF or SAF mode?

S-AF, I'm afraid I haven't managed to come to terms with C-AF as well as you have Brian.

David

brian1208
26th November 2013, 10:31 PM
S-AF, I'm afraid I haven't managed to come to terms with C-AF as well as you have Brian.

David

David, whatever works is what's best at the time - I use SAF, SAF+MF and CAF depending upon the circumstances (and how the mood takes me :) )

Alpha1
27th November 2013, 08:22 AM
Great shot David. The 14-150 is my favourite lens, it is so versatile it is light and a fantastic travel lens. It stay's bolted to my E-M5 as my stand-by travel and w/a zoom system.

It travelled with me and the E-M1 around Namibia, getting covered in sand, dust, iguana and even splashes of sea water and it didn't miss a beat. The UV filter needed several good washes in between sessions though!

I will post some images from it but my dilemna is, do I post them here or over at the E-M5 section? I prefer to post them here as this is where I started the Namibia posts.

Ian, what do you think?

DerekW
27th November 2013, 09:47 AM
Do not hide them in the EM1 section - unless you are too ashamed of them to show them out in the open. <g> It is the brain that caused the finger to depress the button that matters, not the hardware used.

Chevvyf1
27th November 2013, 10:19 AM
Personally, I wanted the ONE for all photography inc. Bif and my main lens for Bif was the 50-200. (often with the Ex on)

When I read the ONE manual - before the camera arrived I frequently read the manual to get to know this camera :) and realised the difference between the 50-200 and 75-300 was 1/3rd greater reach and that the 50-200 would be "slower and not max reach on the ONE" I succumbed to selling my 50-200 lenses ! most reluctantly and even thought of backing out of sales because I may be making a BIG expensive mistake ! :( gulp ...

* to find the functions which depend on m4.3 glass download the pdf. and search for Cautions and read carefully ! eg face detect p.53 does not work on 4/3 glass ; focus points are 37 not 81 - so if I am using the 11.22 for Landscapes I need to crop the "middle 37 focus points" p.52 which will be sharp - but the corners & edges will not be as sharp :( not a deal breaker for me :)

It is a VERY GOOD MANUAL and well worthy of a read, BEFORE YOU INVEST !

BUT had I not a burr up my derriere' for Bif of Red Kites and Golden Eagles and the Peregrine Falcons ... I would still be MOST EXCEEDINGLY HAPPY WITH MY E-5 and 4/3rd glass !

and have more funds for shopping :) ...

Chevvyf1
27th November 2013, 10:23 AM

David

David, have you upped Contrast & Sat and set Vivid too ?

It takes much time and practice and these low light days are not the best light :( so I am leaving it now until Spring/Summer and leaving disappointment too :)

gazza95
27th November 2013, 10:36 AM
Chevy, having just reread E-M1 manual re the face detect caution with 4/3 lenses.

Face Detect does work with 4/3 lenses with one caveat. That is if the face is detected outside the 37 focus points, which is reasonable.

Gary

jamsa
27th November 2013, 11:02 AM
I took some images of Red kites in flight with the 75-300mk2 on Sunday... They were at some distance and it was my first ever attempt.... Chasing them around with the lens at full f l I soon discovered how quickly they turn and dive..... Not easy targets but I'd like a micro four thirds x2 converter to help a wee bit.... Or a micro four thirds 500mm lens!

brian1208
27th November 2013, 11:17 AM
Fun isn't it :)

Chevvyf1
27th November 2013, 12:41 PM
Chevy, having just reread E-M1 manual re the face detect caution with 4/3 lenses.

Face Detect does work with 4/3 lenses with one caveat. That is if the face is detected outside the 37 focus points, which is reasonable.

Gary

Gary, ooops ! thanks for being more accurate than I - :eek: apols to all :)

Chevvyf1
27th November 2013, 12:44 PM
I took some images of Red kites in flight with the 75-300mk2 on Sunday... They were at some distance and it was my first ever attempt.... Chasing them around with the lens at full f l I soon discovered how quickly they turn and dive..... Not easy targets but I'd like a micro four thirds x2 converter to help a wee bit.... Or a micro four thirds 500mm lens!

James, thats what I have always said - eg no comparison to pigeons

oooh! a m.4/3 500 NOW THATS GOING TO BE VERY EXPENSIVE *yes I best save for the next 2 years ...

Alpha1
27th November 2013, 05:27 PM
Do not hide them in the EM1 section - unless you are too ashamed of them to show them out in the open. <g> It is the brain that caused the finger to depress the button that matters, not the hardware used.

I thought that this was the E-M1 section. ;) The Administrator will determine which section they go in....no one else. :rolleyes:

photo_owl
27th November 2013, 07:50 PM

* to find the functions which depend on m4.3 glass download the pdf. and search for Cautions and read carefully ! eg face detect p.53 does not work on 4/3 glass ; focus points are 37 not 81 - so if I am using the 11.22 for Landscapes I need to crop the "middle 37 focus points" p.52 which will be sharp - but the corners & edges will not be as sharp :( not a deal breaker for me :)

the FD points been tounched on, although to embelish it further the camera won't AF on a face outside the overall 37 point array, but this represents most of the area of the 81 and if anyone wanted to specifically focus on a face outside the AF points they have the tools to do this with either native or 43 lenses.

I've also read the manual more than once, but haven't the slightest idea what you are saying, or what point you are making, in the quoted highlight above?

Chevvyf1
27th November 2013, 08:28 PM
the FD points been tounched on, although to embelish it further the camera won't AF on a face outside the overall 37 point array, but this represents most of the area of the 81 and if anyone wanted to specifically focus on a face outside the AF points they have the tools to do this with either native or 43 lenses.

I've also read the manual more than once, but haven't the slightest idea what you are saying, or what point you are making, in the quoted highlight above?

Sorry about this ! I shall go away and re write it for you :)