PDA

View Full Version : HELP! FL-300R not working with E-M5

Paul19
25th November 2013, 10:38 PM
With my old E-P2 I bought a FL-300R. I recently took it out to go with my E-M5 as a lightweight back up for the FL-36R.
However, it works perfectly with the E-P2 but not at all with the E-M5!
Leaving all settings the same, the FL-36R works (and automatically closes down when I turn the camera off); but the FL-300R does not flash and does not close down when the camera is turned off.
Seems as though they are not talking to each other! I have cleaned all contacts but to no avail.
Any prior experiance or suggestions?

Ross the fiddler
25th November 2013, 10:42 PM
With my old E-P2 I bought a FL-300R. I recently took it out to go with my E-M5 as a lightweight back up for the FL-36R.
However, it works perfectly with the E-P2 but not at all with the E-M5!
Leaving all settings the same, the FL-36R works (and automatically closes down when I turn the camera off); but the FL-300R does not flash and does not close down when the camera is turned off.
Seems as though they are not talking to each other! I have cleaned all contacts but to no avail.
Any prior experiance or suggestions?

Probably not at all applicable, but what is the firmware level in the E-M5?

Paul19
25th November 2013, 10:54 PM
Yes I thought of that, but am up to date with the camera. Do you know if flashes have firmware updates??

Ross the fiddler
25th November 2013, 11:57 PM
Yes I thought of that, but am up to date with the camera. Do you know if flashes have firmware updates??

It is possible to see the firmware level of the flash when checking the camera's (& lens's) firmware, but I have not found any possible updates for them though. It is strange that the FL300R isn't working on the E-M5 for you. :confused: I assume it fits in all the way to make proper pin connection & when the locking pin locates in the hole of the body?

Paul19
24th March 2014, 11:07 PM
All Solved!
Tried the flash on my daughter's E-P3: works perfectly!
So got another FL-300R and as hoped - works with the E-M5 both on and off the camera.
So it seems the original couple had a fall out - wouldn't speak to each other. Now the original flash has gone off to live with a PEN and the OM-D has a new flash partner. Oh the intricacies of life!