davidh
22nd September 2008, 06:19 AM
http://www.olympus-global.com/en/news/2008b/nr080922fourthirdse.cfm

interesting!!

Dave

bully74uk
22nd September 2008, 06:47 AM
This is good news then.

Confirms some committment to the main 4/3's sytem after the announcement of the Micro 4/3's.

An Olympus model that sits between the E520 and E3 with the E3's High Speed focusing sounds good to me as a potential upgrade from my E510.
Although im seriously considering saving for the E3 itself :D

Ian
22nd September 2008, 01:20 PM
This is good news then.

Confirms some committment to the main 4/3's sytem after the announcement of the Micro 4/3's.

An Olympus model that sits between the E520 and E3 with the E3's High Speed focusing sounds good to me as a potential upgrade from my E510.
Although im seriously considering saving for the E3 itself :D

This is what it looks like:

http://dpnow.com/images/5209/PWP_7175-2-1.jpg

Ian

bully74uk
22nd September 2008, 01:58 PM
An articulating screen as well.

And is that the edge of a top lcd display I can see ?

Do you think this camera will have exactly the same focusing system as the E3 (ie the fastest on the market) ?

250swb
22nd September 2008, 03:38 PM
Hmmmm.

If this is placed between the E520 and the E3 it will have a price tag somewhere in the £700 bracket as a wild guess. And forward from early next year a 10 megapixel sensor is going to be looking pretty lame in a camera at that price point if this model is going to have any shelf life at all. So will it have a 12 megapixel sensor to alleviate this? And if it does what happens to the E3 with so few differences for the average user? Is an E4 about to be announced to re-balance the range?

art frames
22nd September 2008, 04:38 PM
I have to say this is a bizarre announcement. It looks like a last minute panic, with journalists getting very late notice and a news release to say that a camera is in development. And with more questions than answers.

If this looks a bit kick and rush to me, a loyal user, how will it play to a cynical set of dslr watchers and writers.

:confused: peter :confused:

Ian
22nd September 2008, 05:02 PM
An articulating screen as well.

And is that the edge of a top lcd display I can see ?

Do you think this camera will have exactly the same focusing system as the E3 (ie the fastest on the market) ?

Yes, there is a top-panel LCD.

Check it out at:

http://dpnow.com/5209.html

No idea if the AF will be lifted from the E-3, but I think the chance is high, personally.

Ian

Invicta
22nd September 2008, 05:06 PM
I was kinda expecting this model to be released at Photokina. So only an annoucement is disappointing unless the new model will have the 12MP sensor, an inbuilt GPS and 14 bit-depth raw files in which case I'd swap my E-3 ;)

Living in hope for news on new E-system lens and a more powerful flash system to be announced at Photokina.

Ian
22nd September 2008, 05:10 PM
I was kinda expecting this model to be released at Photokina. So only an annoucement is disappointing unless the new model will have the 12MP sensor, an inbuilt GPS and 14 bit-depth raw files in which case I'd swap my E-3 ;)

Living in hope for news on new E-system lens and a more powerful flash system to be announced at Photokina.

The body we saw looks very close to being final, so it shouldn't be long now.

Ian

Cathal
22nd September 2008, 07:07 PM
I would expect this to be on sale before or just after PMA '09.

Looks like it's not much bigger than my e510, but with all the things that lacks. If the price is right, and the street price realistic, then I am interested. I'm guessing it will be 12MP, E3 AF, and the articulating screen... but best of all a front control dial!

Rawcoll
22nd September 2008, 07:26 PM
It may well turn out to be a better bet than the E3 for me, but I guess we'll have to wait (and wait :( ) before full specs can be evaluated. But there is no mention that it will sport an E3 quality viewfinder viewfinder. Are there any hints, or is this likely to be one differentiator that will be retained?

Ian

Graham_of_Rainham
22nd September 2008, 08:47 PM
I like the return of the "Rewind Knob" on the left side. Perhaps this is for a "Pre-Trigger" feature that lets you wind back to a point just before you pressed the shutter. :D

All very exciting stuff :)

As always too late for Christmass... :(

*chr

Ellie
22nd September 2008, 11:57 PM
I think it looks interestingly nice, and perhaps exactly the camera I've been waiting for if we can manage to afford it. Thanks Olympus *chr

Nova Invicta
26th September 2008, 08:12 PM
Just got in from Germany & Photokina and saw the mystery new camera in a case next to a prototype micro four thirds compact camera. The description didnt give much away but as Ian states it did look like a production ready camera. This camera seemed to have a more chunky look to it and looked similar to Panasonic offerings than either the E-520 or E-420.
The micro four thirds camera Im not sure about and think it will get lost in the compact forest if this prototype doesnt change (although Olympus UK staff though they preferred it to the Panasonic DMC-G1 I dont agree) It did remind me slightly of the Pen F which had a decent following and maybe thats what Olympus are trying to capture with this offering. I will post elsewhere my views on the Panasonic DMC-G1

Real Ramona
30th September 2008, 11:37 AM
Its a weird one this...
For a start it seems like it will have 12mp sensor, so theoretically better res than the E-3. But it won't have the full weather sealing of the E-3. Probably not the super big viewfinder either. But it will surely hit sales of the E-3 until such time as ALL specifications of that model are better than the tweener.