PDA

View Full Version : Camera Bags

greg-g
24th November 2013, 12:17 PM
Iím looking for a camera bag or bags for my E-M1 with a 12-40mm attached.
There are two scenarioís.
1. 1. A belt bag or small shoulder bag just to have the camera with me when doing whatever.
2. 2. A slightly larger bag for carrying and or storing the camera along with a 75-300mm and possibly one or two small lens.
My local camera store has nothing; they are either just too small or way too big.
Online is always difficult as you canít try before buying.
There are three Bellingham bags of interest, the L2, f/stop 2.8, and Digital Hadley, or possibly a Think Tank Retrospective 5 or 7.

Whatís everyone using, and do you have any experience with the above or anything else?
I just want a minimal quality bag that's just big enough for the job.

I'm sure there must be other threads but I can't find them.

Thanks

Greytop
24th November 2013, 12:39 PM
I have a Think Tank Retrospective 5 (http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/retrospective-5-pinestone.aspx) which I use for all my Fujifilm gear, it just about fits my X-E1, 14, 35, 60, 18-55 and 50-200.
It's a very good quality bag, nicely made and pretty much under the radar in terms of looks. My Olygear also easily fits this bag, E-M5, 12-40, 35-100 and 75-300 with hood.
However most of the time I use a Lowepro Nova 170 AW (http://store.lowepro.com/nova-170-aw) for my Olygear, again nice bag but the strap mounting joints have warn over time and tend to squeak as you walk which ends up being a real pain (especial on a long trek).
Given my good experience with Think Tank I'm about to change to a SubUrban Disguise 20 (http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/suburban20.aspx) for my Olygear.

Hope that helps.

PS I see this is your first post, welcome to the forum!

hotbath1962
24th November 2013, 01:05 PM
I bought the Olympus ever ready case. Way overpriced for what it is but good for the camera and lens attached. Would be interested in a case for the camera, 12-40, 75 (or similar size) and a FL-50R in due course so interested to see what people say.

Wally
24th November 2013, 01:18 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum.

When I had the e-3 the lightest and smallest bag/case was the faux leather Olympus branded one for the elderly e-10. It could take the e-3 plus the Mk2 40-150 with the lens hood folded back and had a small side pocket just the right size for a spare battery. Straps for over the shoulder and a belt loop meant it could be used in various ways.

Biggest problem is that they may now be like hens teeth.

I have three, one each for my e-20's and one used for the ep-3 with up to a Panny 45-200 zoom lens with folded back hood and some lens cleaning cloths tucked in for good measure.

Olybirder
24th November 2013, 01:46 PM
I am using my old Think Tank Digital Holster 20, which takes my E-M1 with the 75-300 II attached. It has a zipped extension at the bottom. With that zipped up it is a perfect fit for the camera and lens with the hood reversed and with it unzipped it is a generous fit with the hood extended. I use it with the shoulder strap diagonally across my body.

It has a couple of zipped compartments for lens caps, batteries, spare cards etc. but no room for extra lenses. I normally only use the 75-300 so that is not a problem for me. It also comes with a waterproof rain cover.

Ron

StephenL
24th November 2013, 01:57 PM
Can't beat Billingham for quality, but at a price. I have two Hadleys, different sizes. The black ones look less obtrusive.

hotbath1962
24th November 2013, 03:27 PM
Great Western Cameras in Swindon have the case Wally describes

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Olympus-Genuine-Leather-SLR-Camera-Case-/370234885071?pt=UK_Camera_Cases_Bags_Covers&hash=item5633b803cf

I had one with E-20 through to E-5. It is way too big to E-M1 though.

Greytop
24th November 2013, 03:43 PM
Great Western Cameras in Swindon have the case Wally describes

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Olympus-Genuine-Leather-SLR-Camera-Case-/370234885071?pt=UK_Camera_Cases_Bags_Covers&hash=item5633b803cf

I had one with E-20 through to E-5. It is way too big to E-M1 though.

Do they ship to Tasmania? ;):D

quickben
24th November 2013, 05:00 PM
I used the Billingham while away in South Africa and it was perfect - as well the E-M1 kit I had my 50-200 SWD and absolutely no issues at all. Best camera bag I have ever had the pleasure of owning.

Smallcreep
24th November 2013, 05:10 PM
I've been using a Hadley Pro for quite some time, with plenty of room for an E-M1 and a couple of lenses plus a few accessories, but just recently I bought a more capacious Kata Lite 445DL. It's lightweight and out of the box has five lens pockets plus space for a camera with lens attached, easily enough room for the 75-300mm. Needless to say the internal flaps can be adjusted to suit your own preferences. There are smaller models in the same range.

brian1208
24th November 2013, 06:08 PM
I use my old Lowepro Nova 180 shoulder bag, carries all my gear, including the EM-1 + 75-300 attached, has the waterproof cover for those rainy days and is nice to use when lens changing(the fact I already had it made it a no-brainer of course :D )

timd1230
24th November 2013, 07:43 PM
I have all of the billlinghams mentioned (And some others )

If just for the camera and lens the the hadley digital works well

L2 will work for a few small lenses and body - but I have also gone with the Fstop for my em1 outfit

(I have excellent L2 and hadley small I would be happy to sell)

DerekW
24th November 2013, 07:56 PM
I recently bought a Lowepro Passport Sling bag for my E5 and one lens, a spare battery and CF cards. It would be ideal for these new fangled small cameras. I would think that it would hold a camera with lens attached as well as another lens plus bits if all the kit was M4/3 size.

OM USer
25th November 2013, 11:55 AM
The Billinghams are great quality. My 30 year old 335 (so old design) and backstrap are still like new. However the Billingham is much too big for my M43 gear and the bag I am currently using whilst perfect for the E-M5+12-50mm+75-300mm+50mm(OMZ) will be just a little too small for my increasing lens collection. I have been looking at Kata for a replacement but no decisions yet.

photo_owl
25th November 2013, 12:23 PM
Do they ship to Tasmania? ;):D

for the price they are asking it would be worth the OP asking!

Iansky
25th November 2013, 12:37 PM
One of my bags is a legacy from my days as a PJ, it is a 2nd world war US gas mask case so looks more like a tool bag than a camera bag, it is canvas and very hard wearing and I have removable padded lining to protect equipment and in it I have:

1 x EM1
1 x EPL5
1 x FL600 flash unit + spare batterries
1 x 12mm f2
1 x 25mm f1.4
1 x 45mm f1.8
1 x 75mm f1.8

Cleaning cloth (chamois) and spare camera battery, hand held meter and other odds and sods.

It has served me well and does not draw attention to its contents due to looking old and well used!

IanTField
25th November 2013, 12:53 PM
Another vote for the Think Tank Retrospective 5 - mine is in pinestone and is very unobtrusive. Just the right size for the 12-40 with my 25mm and 75mm alongside. If I need to take more gear with me then its time for the fstop backpack with micro ICU which will take everything else I have!

Dave in Wales
25th November 2013, 06:16 PM
Just bought one of these...Tamrac Aero 50 Bag for Camera/Camcorder - Black: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21XWt5hMEQL.@@AMEPARAM@@21XWt5hMEQL

Bangonthedoortwice
25th November 2013, 06:42 PM
I have 3 bags i use.

Vanguard uprise 45 rucksack.

LowePro 102 Slingshot shoulder bag

National Geographic side/shoulder bag.

Any of these would be great for the OP's query.

The Vanguard uprise 45 is my main travel backpack as it holds everything i ever need. DLSR/M43rd camera with a large attached telephoto (50-200mm) and grip (OM-D EM5) or 5D + grip/lens or even larger the Fuji S5 Pro and grip plus lens.
If you're m43rd you have a huge amount of space for all your lenses as well as an air type system that helps if you sweat, it's all padded and safe with a quick access compartment so you don't need to take it off your back, just swing it round. It comes complete with a rain cover, waist strap, and dozens of pockets. Comfortable to carry, tough, i can also fit a 10" notepad or 13" laptop inside too with all my gear. :D

Lowepro 120 would suit it to store it or day travel bag. Limit in size but is great if you only want a small bag to be safe and quick access. Don't think it would hold the M1 with a grip though.

NG bag is a good alternative to a shoulder type bag, with rain cover, lots of pockets, lots of room, and an inner support for bumps and knocks.

Hope that helps dude

Peter_Hartland
25th November 2013, 10:12 PM
I use the Think Tank Mover 30i which is great for general work & excellent for street photography

dogsbody
26th November 2013, 05:42 PM
I use a Lowepro Passport, it takes my EM-1 with 75-300 attached with a black rapid sling fitted, with a 12-50 and 19mm in its canvas box. It still has room for a lunch box. It is versatile, comfortable and unobtrusive and only costs about £40!