PDA

View Full Version : E3 & 11-22

Steve Roughley
20th September 2008, 09:56 PM
One from today.
Taken from Blea Tarn. Have got some similar photos from same spot on my web site from a while ago.

Do you this one is to dark. It was taken late on in the day.
0.9 & 0.6 Nd grad filters. capture one and cs3.

http://www.steveroughleyphotography.com/new%20web%20site/images/blea%20tarn%201.jpg

Steve

Garrie
20th September 2008, 11:49 PM
YOU SIR, ARE AMAZING... :eek:

I only wish I could critique but its beyond me by a long long long long long way!

I LOVE YOUR SHOTS!

p.s any chance I could lend you my 10 - 20 sigma for some shots? Filter ring and holder included? I think only you could put the sigma to the test against the 11 - 22.

Cheers
G

petrovich
21st September 2008, 06:22 AM
Steve, the colour is excellent, and to my eyes the position off all the objects is just right.

Regards

grumpy69
21st September 2008, 06:30 AM
That really is a wonderful photo, I would frame that one, Lovely smashing great, the colours wow *clap

StephenL
21st September 2008, 06:32 AM
Great shot, difficult to crit. Bet it looks good printed up large!

PeterD
21st September 2008, 06:54 AM
Steve

Terrific picture and to answer your question directly, no it is not too dark. It has the natural low sun lighting - the high points are bright and the foreground darker. If you try to brighten it up you will loose this effect and may also lose the detail from the background. Its perfect the way it is.*chr

Peter

theMusicMan
21st September 2008, 07:08 AM
Oh how I long to be able to capture superb landscape shots such as this one Steve, it's awesome. You sure have access to some really beautiful locations, and equipped with the skill you so obviously have for landscape photography together with the E-3 and 11-22mm lens - you never fail to produce images that in my opinion, are simply outstanding.

Bravo to you Steve...

ndl0071
21st September 2008, 07:11 AM
Well, I think it's all been said so I'll just add 'WOW' and leave it at that.

Well done.:)

Steve Roughley
21st September 2008, 01:13 PM
Wow what can I say. Thank you all for your kind words. I was just in the right place at the right time.
I would ask one thing. I'm still unsure about the brightness level on my monitor. on the first photo do you see the trees on the left as totally dark or is there any detail in them.

Another one from the same location. there is an old rotting post that I put my coat on and rested the camera on it (wanted to leave my tripod where it was). here is the result.

http://www.steveroughleyphotography.com/new%20web%20site/images/BLea%20Tarn%202.jpg

Thanks for looking
Steve

PeterD
21st September 2008, 01:56 PM
Steve

Tree darkness - For the time of day it looks just right - little detail but nice an sharp. The dark tree foliage will absorb lots of light which at this time of day means it will appear as you have shown it.

New location - Sorry Steve, you chose the right location the first time with your tripod. You have lost the way the margins where converging to the centre of the picture because you are now almost in line with the wall and the fence. Incidentally the fence being broken IMHO made the construct of your first image. Not only the convergence but the beauty of natural things and the temporary nature of man made things providing a strong contrast.

Peter

Steve Roughley
21st September 2008, 03:01 PM
Steve

Tree darkness - For the time of day it looks just right - little detail but nice an sharp. The dark tree foliage will absorb lots of light which at this time of day means it will appear as you have shown it.

New location - Sorry Steve, you chose the right location the first time with your tripod. You have lost the way the margins where converging to the centre of the picture because you are now almost in line with the wall and the fence. Incidentally the fence being broken IMHO made the construct of your first image. Not only the convergence but the beauty of natural things and the temporary nature of man made things providing a strong contrast.

Peter

Thank you for your answer Peter. I also like the first image more than the second. I asked about the trees because I have a colour vision spyder monitor calibrator and when I set my monitor to the brightness settings it wants to use, it seems over bright and after a while it hurts my eyes.
So I have to guess what to set it to.

Steve

PeterD
21st September 2008, 03:26 PM
Thank you for your answer Peter. I also like the first image more than the second. I asked about the trees because I have a colour vision spyder monitor calibrator and when I set my monitor to the brightness settings it wants to use, it seems over bright and after a while it hurts my eyes.
So I have to guess what to set it to.

Steve

No problem Steve. I love your landscapes. You have a natural flair for these which I very much appreciate. Thanks for posting BOTH images.

Peter

Zuiko
21st September 2008, 07:03 PM
Steve, picture two is excellent in it's own right but the compostion in picture one is just fantastic, much more dynamic.

I know this location well and can confirm that the trees are naturally dark, almost silhouettes, when the sun comes from that direction.

I assume that you used the two ND grads staggered and the only comment I'd make is that perhaps the higher one wasn't neccessary as the sky does seem to darken just a tad too much towards the top of the frame. But that's just nit-picking, I'd be proud to have this one on my wall!

Malcolm Cousins
25th September 2008, 10:26 PM
Superb, 10 out of 10. Can't fault it.*yes

JohnGG
25th September 2008, 10:37 PM
Glorious, both of them *clap

I'd be chuffed to bits if I'd taken them *yes

Cheers,

JohnGG

Barr1e
26th September 2008, 07:47 AM
Hi Steve -

Another lesson from the master - thanks very much.

Regards. Barr1e

sanke
26th September 2008, 06:16 PM
10 out of 10 *clap*super
can't say more than that.
congrats
Karl

shirley
26th September 2008, 07:47 PM
I am no landscape photographer, but I think I can spot those who are.
This is lovely for all the reasons that have been listed.
Fabulous shot Well done*chr