PDA

View Full Version : The baker

shirley
20th September 2008, 08:46 PM
This was taken today at Redbournebury Mill bakery.
The bakery is a small converted outbuilding on the same site as the mill and they use flour that has been ground there.
The bakers were very friendly and let me take some pics.
I will upload some more when I have time. Unfortunately the mill was not open today but I will be back when it is.
I tried this as a mono - I have little experience of mono so do people think this works?

Thank you for lookinghttp://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/The_baker_low_res.jpg

I think it looks a bit posed even though it wasnt.

shirley
21st September 2008, 04:33 PM
I guess from the lack of response that this is perhaps one for the bin, certainly in mono.*yes

StephenL
21st September 2008, 05:21 PM
Honest answers? I don't like the expression on the bakers face - it doesn't suggest someone working, just someone chatting. The machinery is too modern after eading your narrative - I would like to have seen something more traditional, such as hand-neading flour. However, I do think you were right to convert to mono, as industrial scenes in general seem to suit this medium.

shirley
21st September 2008, 05:28 PM
:D
You are absulotely right Stephen. There were two bakers and they were chatting and joking the whole time. Yes its an old buidling with a modern bakery inside, I understand your point, its something I hadnt considered before.
Thank you for taking the time to reply.
Shirley

theMusicMan
21st September 2008, 07:22 PM
Hi Shirley - apologies for missing this one and not replying sooner.

Whilst I personally can see merit in the image, it doesn't do that much for me. The square and straight-on to the oven angle of shot is not particularly interesting, and as has already been mentioned, the bakers expression is somewhat out of context of the image... if you know what I mean.

I hope you don't mind my comments by the way.

If the bakers are willing for you to revisit and take further shots... might I suggest one from a really unusual angle, say... down low with the camera looking up at a baker placing or removing dough/bread from the open door of the oven with gloves/large spatula/cloth...? Obviously a wide angle lens used for this one would greatly enhance the shot...?

Hope you are not offended by my comments Shirley.

Kudos to you though for arranging a photo shoot in a bakery, what a cracking idea.

shirley
21st September 2008, 07:46 PM
Thank you John, I absolutely dont mind your comments.
Personally I think this is the whole point of posting images for comment. I want to improve, sometimes I am too close to them to be objective. It works both ways, sometimes and image I cant see much merit in is praised - seeing things through others eyes helps me to develop my own critical eye.
I have had chance to look at some of the other pics I took, so if you dont mind I have uploaded them.
It was one of those chance meetings, I found this little bakery, poked my head in and asked if I could take some pics, they thought it very odd and made funny comments all the time, hence the expressions.
Of course I had to try their bread, it was very good!! Much better than my pics*yes

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/Ready_for_the_oven_edited-1.jpg

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/Just_baked_bread_edited-1.jpg

Zuiko
21st September 2008, 08:01 PM
Hi Shirley, I did see this image earlier but didn't reply at the time as I was uncertain of my response to it and I guess that's part of the problem; at first sight I can find little to critisise but little to excite me, either. Having now read the responses from Stephen and John I must say they seem to have summed it up rather well.

You can't win 'em all, but full marks for responding to an opportunity that presented itself and it does look like there's sufficient potential for a return visit armed with a few new ideas!

snaarman
24th September 2008, 07:59 AM
Yes, I think this is a subject that needs a return visit. Certainly - baking bread itself will look better in colour. The general "industrial process" of making bread might be good in B+W.

If you are faced with Fluorescent tube lighting then you need to be careful to get a good colour balance. One of the tricks is to use a small splash of fill in flash to set the colours of the nearest objects correct...

Pete

Makonde
24th September 2008, 07:21 PM
Hi Shirley

You know I am one of your greatest fans. So I hope I have some credit in the bank. But really, I think this one is for the bin as you suspected.

shirley
24th September 2008, 07:32 PM
Hi Shirley

You know I am one of your greatest fans. So I hope I have some credit in the bank. But really, I think this one is for the bin as you suspected.

:D I shall not be spending any more time on this one, I am actually quite pleased because one of the things I am trying to develop is my ability to spot a decent picture. I really couldnt decide on this but my gut feeling was that it was not a keeper. In the process I have received lots of ideas and practical suggestions, so it was well worth posting. Thanks.