PDA

View Full Version : E-M1 Which one????

Rocknroll59
19th November 2013, 07:15 PM
So I've waited for the new camera and it's here (No not with me yet that's the problem), so do I just go body only and use the 5 lenses (4/3rd) which I have, or do I switch to M4/3 and go whole hog for the 12-40 lens and camera. It would certainly stretch my finances at the moment to go camera and lens, but of course I would sell the 4/3rd lenses I have along with the E600 I've had for the past 3 1/2 years, but what are the benefits of going all out M4/3 with this camera.
Of course I could go body only and gradually build up the M4/3rds lenses as well.....

Need to sit down with a glass of beverage and think it through, has anyone else been thinking along the same lines ??

Peter

banjukes
19th November 2013, 08:11 PM
Hi Peter, I wish I had your problem!! Ha! I would go the whole hog. The reason being that the lenses are made for the M4/3 system. If I had a really special piece of glass I would probably hang on to it and get an adapter but that would be the only reason. I was going to upgrade my own E1 to an E30 or E3 recently but had a bit of bad luck and I couldn't follow through. When I sat to really think about 4/3 and m4/3 systems and cameras in specific I came to the conclusion that the end of 4/3 for Olympus is upon us and m4/3 is the way forward for company and consumer alike. If you compare an M1 and E5 it's a no brainer, cost, weight, size, functionality, technology noise at high ISO and low light shooting. The 4/3 DSLR will retreat to the studio and might well be an oddity in the street. Have another beverage or two and sleep on it. Things might be clearer in the morning when the hangover subsides!! Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Chevvyf1
19th November 2013, 08:17 PM
Get a Black ONE ! :)

DavyG
19th November 2013, 08:43 PM
I was in the same situation Peter as I have quite a few 4/3 lenses.

In the end I bought an E-M1 with a 12-50 lens, I had ordered a 12-40 kit however, there was a significant delay in the availability of the 12-40.

In the end I also bought a 12-40 when it became available so I now have two m 4/3 lenses in addition to my 4/3 glass.

I'll continue to use my 4/3 glass when necessary however, the 12-40 is a lovely piece of kit mind you, I like the macro setting on the 12-50 also.

Dave

Ross the fiddler
19th November 2013, 09:39 PM
I was in the same situation Peter as I have quite a few 4/3 lenses.

In the end I bought an E-M1 with a 12-50 lens, I had ordered a 12-40 kit however, there was a significant delay in the availability of the 12-40.

In the end I also bought a 12-40 when it became available so I now have two m 4/3 lenses in addition to my 4/3 glass.

I'll continue to use my 4/3 glass when necessary however, the 12-40 is a lovely piece of kit mind you, I like the macro setting on the 12-50 also.

Dave

The powered (variable speed) zoom on the 12-50 lens is also good for video too (for the odd time I actually use video).

birdboy
19th November 2013, 09:40 PM
I considered this problem and came up with at the moment I need both. I am keeping the E5 and FT glass I have apart from the 12-60swd and 70-300mm which I am getting rid of.

If you are going to have a E-M1 then you need to get some MFT glass. I was fortunate to be in the position of getting permission (HWSBO) to get the 12-40f2.8 pro which shows off the best the E-M1 can offer.

I do not think selling E series models at the going rate delivers the cost benefit to make it worthwhile and I would keep your E300 and go out with two cameras with different lenses tele and wide angle.

Thanks my take but in the meantime *chr

Wee man
19th November 2013, 11:25 PM
Like you I may move my 4/3 kit and go full m4/3 but the fast glass to replace my existing 4/3 lenses is not out yet.

benvendetta
20th November 2013, 07:11 AM
Like you I may move my 4/3 kit and go full m4/3 but the fast glass to replace my existing 4/3 lenses is not out yet.

Exactly what I am thinking. The only m43 lens I have is the 12-50. Although I have had my E-M1 for a week and a half I have yet to get out and use it with my 43rds glass (well, any glass actually!). I couldn't justify the 12-40 given that I have the 12-50 and the 43rds 12-60.

Gwyver
20th November 2013, 07:58 AM
Peter,
If you are happy with the performance of your existing 43 lens, I suggest you don't rush into changing everything to m43 glass. 43 lenses work well on the E-M1 so you should give them a good work out on your new camera before deciding which ones to replace with m43.

Iansky
20th November 2013, 08:26 AM
The option to shoot both on the EM1 gives people the chance to get used to the camera before making a firm decision on lenses.

The advantages of Mu43 glass is obviosuly the size and weight factor in comparison to 4/3, I am personally a prime shooter so my standard 4 lenses are primes with a 100-300 zoom for those infrequent occasions when I need something longer.

I switched from full frame DSLR to Mu43 as I wanted smaller/lighter and the dividends are enormous with very few disadvantages so I am now able to carry my EM1 and 4 primes (12mm/25mm/45mm/75mm) as well as an FL600R all in an old gas mask case so it tends not to draw attention yet offers a powerful kit in a small bag.

I am sure the new 12-40 is a superb lens in its own right, but it is still a large and heavy optic with a price to match so in theory equates weight/size and price wise to many of the 4/3rd lenses.