PDA

View Full Version : Another MZuiko 75-300 test from Namibia

Alpha1
19th November 2013, 02:22 PM
I took the 75-300 mk2 with me to Namibia, really to ascertain whether I should keep it or pass it on.

This image of a Southern White Pelican at full zoom (300mm or 601mm EFL)
and a number of others using this lens under the strong African sun is in my view very positive.......it's a keeper! *chr

http://www.e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/1706/Southern_Pelican_in_Cloe_Up_Oly_.jpg

So is the E-M1 by the way!! The dynamic range with just a little bit of negative exposure adjustment is just superb.

I last photographed these birds in Southern Australia many years ago using a Leica R9 with a DMR digital back.........the images were sharp as a tack but oh dear did I have problems in PP with the highlights! Technology moves on to all our benefit.

brian1208
19th November 2013, 03:23 PM
that is a stunning result Dave,

I keep mulling over whether to get the mk2 to replace my mk1 (which was used when I got it).

Apart from curing the bad lens creep I believe the only other improvement is in the lens coating?

Alpha1
19th November 2013, 03:35 PM
Well the Mk 2 does not so far suffer from lens creep and I guess that lens coatings are improving all the time. My Panasonic 100-300does suffer from lens creep, but I just learn to live with it. In every other way it is a great lens, especially in UK winter lighting! ;)

David Morison
19th November 2013, 04:27 PM
Well the Mk 2 does not so far suffer from lens creep and I guess that lens coatings are improving all the time. My Panasonic 100-300does suffer from lens creep, but I just learn to live with it. In every other way it is a great lens, especially in UK winter lighting! ;)

If you suffer from lens creep fit a "Lensband" obtainable from EBay 5.99. I have one fitted to my mk1 - works perfectly!

David

brian1208
19th November 2013, 05:18 PM
I normally used the red bands the postie drops on his rounds (the red ring used to make my cheap canon lenses look like a pukka "L" lens :D)

OM USer
19th November 2013, 05:38 PM
I'm using a lensband on my MK1 as well.