PDA

View Full Version : Neck/Shoulder Strap

bpb
18th November 2013, 09:53 PM
Hi,

Since the supplied strap is far too gaudy to contemplate, I wonderered if anyone could suggest a really good alternative?

photo_owl
18th November 2013, 10:23 PM
I agree, and am torn between a Pen E-P1 strap, which has the additional benefit of not interferring so much with Fn1 button, or the Olympus Anniversary one, given that I probably won't have any lenses to take the lens caps now!

But, on the other hand, a simple wrist strap to the left hand side would be the most functional solution.

brian1208
18th November 2013, 10:30 PM
I'm using my old and tatty http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-optech-pro-camera-strap-black/p1007795

very comfortable and doesn't attract any attention

benvendetta
18th November 2013, 10:37 PM
Hi,

Since the supplied strap is far too gaudy to contemplate, I wonderered if anyone could suggest a really good alternative?

Gawdy? In what way may I ask

bassman
18th November 2013, 10:42 PM
Purchased this one same time as my EM-1 http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-optech-envy-strap-black/p1525051

comfortable and nice size for the camera, also like to keep original accessories in box as much as poss, that's me being me !

Iiyama
19th November 2013, 06:24 AM
Bought a Q strap but did not like carrying the camera so low.

Then got one of these and its very comfortable

JJC High Quality Black Neoprene Anti-Slip Quick Release: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41TnMVfmo%2BL.@@AMEPARAM@@41TnMVfmo%2BL

Phill D
19th November 2013, 06:51 AM
I agree with you bpb the strap is pretty naff. It's the first thing I noticed and as you said it's gawdy and actually quite stiff and mine at least is wrinkled on the underside as a result. Definitely looks cheap and nasty and not what I expected for an expensive pro camera.To be honest it's not a patch on the strap that that came with my E510. I've put up with it so far hoping it will soften and fade with use but it's taking its time. I suspect that Christmas will see me dropping a few specific hints at home :)

StephenL
19th November 2013, 07:39 AM
Search for Footprint straps on Ebay. British made, top quality, and custom sizes if you want.

Jim Ford
19th November 2013, 09:44 AM
Don't get a Quickstrap!

Mine failed in two different modes and dumped my E5 in the mud twice!

First the plate securing screw broke - there's an inherent weakness. The second time the carabiner section pulled out of the shackle.

Jim

David M
19th November 2013, 11:26 AM
A chunky gold chain? :D

Olybirder
19th November 2013, 11:44 AM
I have been using the supplied strap and am used to it now, especially since some of the initial brilliance has worn off. My main complaint is that it is a bit short. With it round my neck I have difficulty focusing on the screen (old age.)

When I picked up my 75-300 lens from Warehouse Express I had a look at the OpTech Envy. I thought at the time that the tails of the straps were a bit too narrow for the E-M1's attachment points, although it seems that it is not the case. However, looking at reviews of it, I have seen someone mentioning that it is rather short. Does anyone know if the OpTech Pro is suitable for the E-M1 or is a little over the top?

Ron

josephlck
19th November 2013, 12:52 PM
Try Optech. They have a nice modular system so you can switch from a wrist strap to a Q strap to a normal strap depending on what you want.

I use a combination of:
OP/TECH Utility Strap Sling - Black: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/4187ynlERzL.@@AMEPARAM@@4187ynlERzL
and
OP/TECH SLR Wrist Strap - Black: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41mKaQ6R6nL.@@AMEPARAM@@41mKaQ6R6nL

I think build quality is only okay but it's cheap, discrete and modular which is what really sold it for me.

IanTField
19th November 2013, 12:52 PM
I went with this one from Artisan & Artist - I like the quick adjustability and it is plenty wide enough for the weight on the E-M1

Artisan and Artist ACAM E25R Strap for Camera - Black: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31y7bx6J3LL.@@AMEPARAM@@31y7bx6J3LL

So far I am very pleased with it.

Ian

glynnbach
19th November 2013, 02:13 PM
I really like the Crumpler Singapore sling strap. They are very comfortable, easy to adjust and you can just about squeeze a spare battery and memory card into the removable card holder. They also come in many colours.

Here is a bit of a cheesy video clip from Crumpler showing the straps.

The Singapore Sling AND Slim from CRUMPLER - YouTube

I think Crumpler have now discontinued them but they are still available to buy from many online stores and auction sites.

Smallcreep
21st November 2013, 02:34 PM
I have a Kata C-Strap DL which is lightweight, simple, and not too chunky for the camera. Also reasonably priced and no hard plastic clips to scratch camera or lens bodies.

Dave in Wales
23rd November 2013, 09:45 AM
I too ditched the Oly strap...ARGH.

I had a new, boxed, unused Nikon AN-4B strap knocking about, it's plain and simple, never-never have trusted QR fastenings.

Angus
25th November 2013, 01:57 PM
For my E-M1, I went for the Matin Neoprene Joint Strap as reviewed at 5/5 in this group test: http://www.techradar.com/news/photography-video-capture/cameras/best-camera-strap-6-tested-1084953

In my opinion the value for money on this strap is off the scale - a superb purchase.*yes

Note: Its available in curved and straight versions and I went for the curved one - good decision.

Innit
25th November 2013, 05:08 PM
I find that neck straps get very uncomfortable after an hour or two, especially with heavier lenses attached.

I bought a Rapid Black RS-7 sling which distributes the weight better than a neck strap and is much more comfortable when carrying the camera around for a few hours.

The RS-7 has a slightly curved shoulder pad which makes it sit more comfortably at the base of the neck than one with a straight pad, but it does mean it might not work so well for left-handed people as it can only be used on one shoulder.

Wee man
25th November 2013, 05:15 PM
I use the black rapid but added a chest type strap as I found the shoulder strap could drop of your shoulder when you lifted the camera for a shot. It made it much better and safer.

paullus
25th November 2013, 05:27 PM
I had a Matin Comfort strap before going down the Black Rapid sling type route. The Matin was the most comfortable neck strap I'd bought. Now I use it on my binoculars. I currently use the BlackRapid Curve (RS-7) with the Brad strap addition to keep it in place. My wife favours the BlackRapid Women's camera strap which is specially shaped to fit women more comfortably.
Having said that our cameras spend more time on wrist straps these days.

Steve

dogsbody
26th November 2013, 05:57 PM
I like the Black rapid system. Over the body (shoulder to hip) rather than around the neck

Smallcreep
26th November 2013, 08:13 PM
Now here's a thing. We have a current thread on camera bags and another on camera straps. What I would like to ask those of you who use slings is how you combine the two, assuming that you are using a shoulder bag rather than a rucksack. Do you have the bag hanging off one shoulder, in which case is the camera on the other hip? Or is the strap of the bag across your chest, in which case is the sling on the diagonal or alongside the strap of the bag? This is something that I have found no satisfactory solution to, risking either asphyxiation or a clumsy fumble.

StephenL
26th November 2013, 08:39 PM
I first of all sling my Billingham, or my Millican, over my shoulder diagonally so it is on my right hip. Then I sling the camera, on a long strap, diagonally over t'other shoulder so it is on my left hip. So the straps criss-cross over my chest. As the camera one is on top, it slides easily to my eye.

Wee man
27th November 2013, 07:51 AM
Strap first ( black rapid) then backpack. If using single strap bag I work like Stephen but opposite sides.

Olybirder
27th November 2013, 11:30 AM
After looking at the various suggestions here I decided to order the Kata KT DL-C-Strap due to its simplicity, with no extra connectors, and its reasonable price. It has just been dispatched by Amazon, so with a bit of luck it might be here by the weekend. I hope it is all right.

Ron

Smallcreep
27th November 2013, 12:54 PM
I decided to order the Kata KT DL-C-Strap ... I hope it is all right.

Ron

Simplicity with comfort!

Olybirder
27th November 2013, 01:00 PM
Simplicity with comfort!
That sounds good Peter. I wish it applied to the everything in my life. :)

Ron