PDA

View Full Version : E-M1 mystery noise (and battery life) issue

Angus
18th November 2013, 11:31 AM
Hi all,

I just received my lovely OM-D E-M1 and 12-40 f2.8 Pro zoom. My first Olympus, my first MFT camera and this is my first posting on this site :D

The build quality on the camera seems sublime but there is something troubling me and I’m not sure if it’s a problem/defect or not...

I can hear “NOISE 1”: a gentle “wooosh” (= a fan-like noise) from the image stabiliser which starts when the shutter button is pressed and stops moments after it is released. The sound is predicable and very consistent - exactly what I would expect from the IBIS.

HOWEVER, there is another noise which seems more erratic and disconcerting: “NOISE 2” is ‘scratchy’ sounding – like an old modem connecting or an electrical ‘shorting’ . Moreover, there seems no rhyme to reason to when NOISE 2 it starts and stops - sometimes it stops when the shutter button is released but other times it seems to randomly continue after NOISE 1 has stopped – i.e. when I no longer have any buttons pressed. :confused:NOTES:

(i) Image Stabiliser settings: S-IS is set to AUTO and to activate IS on half-press of shutter button].

(ii) Neither noise seems to be affecting the performance of the camera in image-taking terms.

(iii) Both sounds are similar in volume yet distinct - neither is loud per se, but in a quiet room I can discern either/both when I hold the camera away from my body around waist height (i.e. the camera does not need to be up to my ear to be audible).

(iv) At first I assumed both sounds came from the IBIS system, but I have now started to wonder if NOISE 2 could actually be coming from the 12-40 lens (NB: these sounds occur in Single AF and MF modes, so it’s definitely not the sound of the AF motor). But I can’t be sure because it is hard to localise the exact source of NOISE 2 even when I listen up close and.

(v) I also seem to be getting a LOT less than the claimed average 330 shots from a fully charged battery and of course I’m wondering if there is any link between this and the whatever mechanical/electrical activity is going on inside the camera or lens when NOISE 2 is evident... maybe just coincidence but I do wonder.
Unfortunately my dealer is not local so it’s hard to pop in to maybe compare to another camera (and it would be tricky with the background noise in a retail context). I tried calling Olympus UK Support but predictably I didn’t get far with this one (I think I have been spoiled by Apple! :-)

So I’d be very interested to hear the comparative experiences of other owners of the E-M1 and 14-40 Pro combo....

Cheers! *chr

Angus

PS: is it possible to attach an audio clip to this post?... I could record the sounds.

jamsa
18th November 2013, 01:40 PM
I have the same kit but do not recall hearing the second sound as described. I have not taken that many images as of yet but think you should pursue the matter with Olympus just in case.

bilbo
18th November 2013, 01:59 PM
My EM-1 has Noise 1. It's normal. But not Noise 2. Doesn't sound right.

Register for Service Plus at the myolympus website and call the hotline number.

https://myolympus.olympus-consumer.com/

DESIGNATED HOTLINE
Service Plus hotline number. Call to speak directly with an expert specially trained in Olympus E-M1 technologies.

PERSONAL PICK-UP SERVICE
In the unlikely event that your registered E-M1 needs to be checked or repaired, we will come to collect the camera personally. Simply call the special Service Plus number you have been given and arrange the pick-up.

FAST-LANE REPAIR
You should never miss a photo opportunity with your camera. That's why if something doesn't work perfectly, we will endeavour to make sure that your registered E-M1 won't spend longer than 3 days* at your repair centre.

* Excluding transportation times

6 MONTHS EXTRA WARRANTY
Your E-M1 will receive an extended warranty.

brian1208
18th November 2013, 02:41 PM
just a thought, check you don't have Full Time AF selected, that can produce the effect you are describing as the lens makes seemingly random attempts to focus on something (anything)

Angus
18th November 2013, 02:50 PM
No unfortunately I don't think it's the AF. As I mentioned I get the same noise in Single-AF and MF modes, and without the shutter button depressed.

Wish I had another MTF lens for comparison - would help to rule out whether its the lens or the body causing the second noise.

Either way I fear a bit of a saga starting here... sigh!!! :-(

brian1208
18th November 2013, 02:56 PM
Sorry, I missed the point about MF,

(just for info, the shutter button doesn't need to be pressed when you have Full Time AF pressed, that's what led me astray :) )

catkins
18th November 2013, 03:01 PM
Hi all,

So I’d be very interested to hear the comparative experiences of other owners of the E-M1 and 14-40 Pro combo....

Cheers! *chr

Angus

PS: is it possible to attach an audio clip to this post?... I could record the sounds.

I think that this may be a case of how sensitive you are to the noise and to what it is being compared. I've come from the Oly E-30 and my first impressions were probably slightly similar to yours.
There is a slight whirring noise which is fairly constant when using the E-M1 and I presume that this is the Image Stabiliser at work, as this disappears when the IS is set to Off.
The second sound that you seem to describe is also present with my 12-40mm Pro and is I presume the focus mechanism - it is a deeper slightly coarse noise and only happens when focusing. It is easier to be more precise when the IS is set to off.
Both noises vary in deepness or tone depending upon where you put your ear -for the focus noise it sounds more bassy or slightly coarse when you put your ear to the rear of the camera compared to putting your ear to the lens!
Obviously, if you listen deliberately in a quiet room the sounds may be more pronounced because the camera body is acting as a very mini boombox, but if outside you should be less aware of the noises.

If you are more aware also outside or if you feel that the noise is excessive then it may be that there is a fault, but what you mention seems consistent with mine. I tried recording the sound with a reasonable sound recorder but the sound is almost indistinct, so in my camera's case I think it is just a case of allowing my ears to attune themselves to the new sounds of the E-M1. Also if you hear a squeal as the lens focuses rather than a 'dull' low noise then it is worth trying to record the sound and check with Oly support.

[Edit: I now see your update so will check
. . .
Yes, with AF off and my ear close to the camera there is a strange (in that I'm not sure what is creating it) noise. But it seems to have stopped after a little while. I noticed that when it was still making the noise the Live View image was sometimes disappearing to be replaced by a mass of noise, so I wonder if it is some of the electrics and focusing of the sensor itself - I'm not a techy so not sure of the mechanics of the sensor itself, but perhaps the mechanism that allows four thirds & micro four thirds lens to be used includes movement of the sensor? Also, have you as well as selected MF on the Super Control Panel or elsewhere also pulled the manual focus lens ring back? If so, is there still the sound? Intriguing but as said but hopefully it is just a product of the amazing technology stuffed inside the E-M1]

Regards
Chris

David Morison
18th November 2013, 03:13 PM
It sounds just like mine and I think it's normal IBIS noise. At least I'm not worried about it until it stops working! My EM5 made a similar noise and that never resulted in failure. Remember the IBIS on the EM1 is a totally different setup to the E30.

David

Angus
18th November 2013, 03:16 PM
The second sound that you seem to describe is also present with my 12-40mm Pro and is I presume the focus mechanism - it is a deeper slightly coarse noise and only happens when focusing. It is easier to be more precise when the IS is set to off.

Love this forum - thanks everyone for chipping in with helpful comments (even if some not what I want to hear! :( )

Chris: This is interesting but I think there is a distinct difference between what you are decribing and what I am am experiencing. In my case as I mentioned above the offending sound happens sporadically even when the lens cannot be focusing (e.g. when in single-AF without the shutter button depressed and also in MF). And it's intermittent - sometimes I can hear it at the same time as I can here the "wooosh" (fan type noise) for the IBIS, but other times it is there separately even when the IS isn't running.

Angus
18th November 2013, 03:19 PM
Just to reiterate too - I'm not being some OCD owner - straining to hear this with the camera rammed against my ear in the world's deepest cave :-) I can hear it for example when the camera is at waist level.

photo_owl
18th November 2013, 03:28 PM
Just to reiterate too - I'm not being some OCD owner - straining to hear this with the camera rammed against my ear in the world's deepest cave :-) I can hear it for example when the camera is at waist level.

if you are shooting in S, M, P or Auto modes try changing to A and see if you still here noise 2

ayewing
18th November 2013, 03:31 PM
Hello Angus,
welcome to the forum.
I would guess from your comments that you are blessed with acute hearing. Being hard of hearing I cannot help you regarding the noises as I never hear them.

However as regards the battery, I have noticed that the battery in the E-M1 did not seem to last very long between charges during my first week of use but now that it has had a few charging cycles it is doing much better. I think this is recognised battery behaviour.

Also you mentioned that you are new to Olympus so I suspect you spent the first few days exploring the menus and trying out various settings and checking the resulting images more frequently than normal, I certainly did, so this may have increased the drain on the battery. That said I do have the impression that battery life of the E-M1 is not quite as good as the E-M5.

catkins
18th November 2013, 03:47 PM

Don't worry, I think its just that we're trying different methods to see what we hear and in my case, the only reason I mention that I have to have it against my ear is due to the noisy computer which drowns out all known sounds (oh and the knackered hearing that was affected years ago by target shooting and minimal ear protection)!
Did you see that I edited my comments as extra info was added between writing and posting? I did get a non-focus/IBIS, non regular noise but have had difficulty replicating it but it was like something 'being moved' in the camera body and I was also having the Live View screen change to noise - that has not happened since although it did happen yesterday while trying MF.

Regards
Chris

Angus
18th November 2013, 03:49 PM
if you are shooting in S, M, P or Auto modes try changing to A and see if you still here noise 2

"A" is my usual and preferred shooting mode, so I'm 100% certain I have heard it in that mode.

Angus
18th November 2013, 03:54 PM
Hello Angus,
welcome to the forum.
I would guess from your comments that you are blessed with acute hearing. Being hard of hearing I cannot help you regarding the noises as I never hear them.

However as regards the battery, I have noticed that the battery in the E-M1 did not seem to last very long between charges during my first week of use but now that it has had a few charging cycles it is doing much better. I think this is recognised battery behaviour.

Also you mentioned that you are new to Olympus so I suspect you spent the first few days exploring the menus and trying out various settings and checking the resulting images more frequently than normal, I certainly did, so this may have increased the drain on the battery. That said I do have the impression that battery life of the E-M1 is not quite as good as the E-M5.

Good points Archie especially the one about all the playing with the sessings I inevitably did do in the first days which obviously would drainn the battery faster than average. And I have also heard from other sources the idea that battries do improve over the first few charges. I'm not unduly worried by this yet (though I can tell already I'll need to buy an additional battery). But it's the noise I find more troubling.

StephenL
18th November 2013, 03:55 PM
I have no experience of the 12-40 specifically, but sometimes some of my lenses "chatter" the diaphragm when the camera is switched on, as if they are reacting to light level changes even without being activated.

PS Panasonic lenses are notorious for doing this.

catkins
18th November 2013, 03:59 PM
Just an update on one of my comments - what I thought was a change in the Live View to noisy screen is actually due to the screen being set to magnify to allow more precise focusing when using MF - in low light conditions that I have here it looks like a mess of noise initially but it is actually due to the Magnify setting - this is accessed via the Menu, Cog A, MF Assist, On

Regards
Chris

photo_owl
18th November 2013, 05:46 PM
"A" is my usual and preferred shooting mode, so I'm 100% certain I have heard it in that mode.

OK that should rule out the aperture blades ... although Stephen's commented more specifically above.

Westy
18th November 2013, 05:54 PM
Do you have the rear touch screen activated. If so the lens might be focusing when you touch that. Just a thought.

David Morison
18th November 2013, 06:07 PM
If you are fortunate to have access to a legacy lens, try fitting that and then dialling in an inappropriate focal length (on a 50mm lens set the FL at 500mm). When this is done the IBIS goes berserk trying to stabilise the image. If the noise that can be heard during this is the same as you hear at present then you can be sure it is due to the IBIS and may be normal.

David

StephenL
18th November 2013, 06:16 PM
OK that should rule out the aperture blades ... although Stephen's commented more specifically above.
My chosen mode also, but the 12-35 does it in that mode - sometimes!

Angus
18th November 2013, 06:42 PM
I have recorded the sounds using my (Olympus :-) voice recorder held against the underside. IT clearly demonstrates what I am describing but unfortunately I can't upload an MP3 file here. Happy to e-mail it though if anyone interested in giving me their thoughts.

Angus

photo_owl
18th November 2013, 10:13 PM
I have recorded the sounds using my (Olympus :-) voice recorder held against the underside. IT clearly demonstrates what I am describing but unfortunately I can't upload an MP3 file here. Happy to e-mail it though if anyone interested in giving me their thoughts.

Angus

Is it the same as this one that's been recorded by someone else (whose trying to understand what it is)?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r2mtx7h02igto1l/Olympus%20Geraeusch%20Kopie.mp3

Phill D
19th November 2013, 07:06 AM
That sound is the same as mine. I'm pretty sure it's the IS working. If you deliberately shake the camera slightly when it's happening in live view you will see it working.

photo_owl
19th November 2013, 09:50 AM
That sound is the same as mine. I'm pretty sure it's the IS working. If you deliberately shake the camera slightly when it's happening in live view you will see it working.

his accompanying comment reads
"Nevertheless sometimes I have noticed a strange hissing noise. You can hear a sample when you click on the link below. The noise appears randomly and disappears after I switched the camera off and back on. It appears with no lens attached and continues even after ejecting the SD card. I owned an E-M5 and know that this noise is not the IBIS. I know how that sounds like and the camera produces the IBIS noise as usual when the shutter is half pressed"

brian1208
19th November 2013, 10:19 AM
I can hear “NOISE 1”: a gentle “wooosh” (= a fan-like noise) from the image stabiliser which starts when the shutter button is pressed and stops moments after it is released. The sound is predicable and very consistent - exactly what I would expect from the IBIS.

HOWEVER, there is another noise which seems more erratic and disconcerting: “NOISE 2” is ‘scratchy’ sounding – like an old modem connecting or an electrical ‘shorting’

I've just been shooting a few frames with my 200mm fd 2.8 on the EM-1 and suddenly realised that what you describe I know as the usual noises I get from the EM-1 and also from my EM-5.

I've no idea exactly what is happening inside but its become so much part of the experience of shooting with this system I hadn't recognised it initially from you description

From my experience, I wouldn't worry about it - nothing has broken yet (it reminds me of the sounds I used to get from my old 300f4LIS, quite comforting really :) )

nad
19th November 2013, 04:56 PM
'allo 'allo

I can also hear 2 different noises and my hearing ain't what it use to be.

And I've also noticed the battery drain - both wit new and old batteries. And I've noticed, than when the E-M1 goes to sleep, a slight novement of it brings it back to life - and I'm not activating it wia the EVF sensor. I wonder if it's the level guage. I seem to remember there were an issue with the level guage in the E-3 causing battery drain and that it could be completely turned off to save battery. But can it be turned off in the E-M1??? I haven't figured it out...

I haven't noticed the same issue with the E-M5.

Is my memory failing just like my hearing???

niels

brian1208
19th November 2013, 05:14 PM
And I've also noticed the battery drain -

I'm definitely not seeing battery drain on mine, getting much the same life as with the EM-5, anything from 300 to greater than 1000 shots depending on style and set-up

crimbo
19th November 2013, 06:54 PM
Get a 'clunck' when I half-press the shutter
For battery saving I have turned the WiFi off
I have also turned the viewfinder sensor off. this allows the big screen to fully power off

andym
19th November 2013, 07:37 PM
I have also turned the viewfinder sensor off. this allows the big screen to fully power off

Doesn't that leave the EVF on all the time though, think I tried it once. I've got mine set so that the EVF sensor is set on so it turns the EVF on and off but the screen all the time unless I click the LV button.

Must admit I'm only getting about 120-130 images per battery, more or less the same as the E-M5.
I think these cameras are more dependant on power just by being on and not by how many shots you take. I'm a walk around sort of photographer taking single shots and not doing much burst type images.

PS the noise is normal, I believe the general noise is the sensor "floating" and the other noise is the IS coming into play.

brian1208
19th November 2013, 08:05 PM
I have my EVF to LCD eye-switch off, as is the post shot review and just about everything else I don't need to get the shot

The life of these batteries does improve with use but I have rarely if ever seen less than 300 shots / charge and that's leaving the camera switched on but with a power down after 30 sec whenever I'm out and about shooting on the hoof

crimbo
19th November 2013, 09:00 PM
If EVF sensor is on then the LCD stays active even with LV off
Yes with the sensor off the EVF is always on but LCD is not getting power until LV is pressed...then the EVF goes off...so only powering one display

Alsaba
20th November 2013, 08:40 PM
I am noticing the same erratic noise.

It happens when pressing half way the shooting botton and releasing it before the camera has got focus lock. If the camera got focus lock, the noise will not be there when the IS stops. If the focus did not lock, there will be a electronic noise when the IS stops working.

I am also noticing in the 12-40mm f2.8 a very low electronic noise when moving the zoom ring, more notorious in the 12-30mm range. This one can be easilu noticed as it is not there when moving the zoom with the camera off.

Is more people noticing same topic?

nad
20th November 2013, 11:01 PM
I might have solved the problem with the camere waking up from sleep. In the last menu under Wi-Fi Settings change Wi-Fi Connect Settings from the default Select (Wi-Fi connection easch time) to Off. I'll have to check it further during the coming week end. I'm sure (or rather hope...) this will save battery life.

This may sound strange but try it for yourself. Try both settings and place the E-M1 on the table lens down. When it goes to sleep move it but make sure not to activate the EVF sensor.

In Select configuration the E-M1 wakes up right away, but not in Off configuration.

niels

David Morison
21st November 2013, 08:14 AM
Interesting observation. I normally keep wifi off and only use it to upload images through my phone or tablet to add to a tweet or to Dropbox so I probably wouldn't have noticed this behaviour.

Thanks

David

Angus
21st November 2013, 11:36 AM
Is it the same as this one that's been recorded by someone else (whose trying to understand what it is)?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r2mtx7h02igto1l/Olympus%20Geraeusch%20Kopie.mp3

YES this sounds very similar!! I am in dialogue with Olympus to try and further diagnose. Will report back.

Angus
25th November 2013, 02:00 PM
Still no news back from Olympus - I think the issue has them foxed!

Angus
6th December 2013, 01:27 PM
An update on this:

The response finally from Olympus (via Service Plus hotline) was (verbatim) as follows:

"I have checked this phenomenon with OIMC colleagues in Tokyo last week,
This is noise from 12-40 lens which can not be avoided. As 12-40mm lens uses linear motor for focusing mechanism, it needs to be working time by time to keep its position and to be able to focus fast & accurate. Our R&D dept has checked it and confirmed this is not a defect."

In living with this symptom I had become increasingly convinced that the noise was coming from the 12-40mm lens not the EM-1 and this confirms that.

However, they have also admitted to me that not all the lenses do this. And this noise is intermittent. Both of which facts are slightly at odds with the explanation put forward. So whilst this symptom is benign/"cosmetic" and something I will come to live with, I do think it took Olympus a little by surprise and is probably something that they will quietly address in future production.

Angus
6th December 2013, 01:28 PM
PS: Battery life much improved though: seems that the theory of a new battery needing a few charge cycles to reach optimal performance has some merit.

pault
6th December 2013, 02:45 PM
Hi, Reference message 34 above. I have WiFi set to "private" and likewise camera does not wake from sleep.

Chippy_boy
15th June 2014, 08:48 AM
I just got a new EM1 yesterday, so still finding my way around the camera. I too have noticed a strange noise coming from the camera, and googling brought me here.

One noise is clearly the IS mechanism. I have no issues with that, and fully expected to hear it. It's common for IS gyros to make this normal whirring noise. It comes on when you half press the shutter, as you'd expect. You don't hear it if IS is disabled, as you would expect.

The OTHER noise is the strange one. As soon as I turn the camera on, it starts, and it runs constantly until I turn the camera off. Its the same sort of whirring noise as the IS, but quieter. I can hear it clearly with me ear to the camera, and in a quiet room I can hear it with the camera on a desk.

If I switch IS off, and switch focusing to manual... the noise is still there, constantly. Some motor or gyro or something runs all the time whilst the camera is powered on. Even in picture playback mode, this noise is still there.

Is this normal? Does anyone have any idea what this might be? I am stumped, I have to say.

brian1208
15th June 2014, 09:23 AM
that is the way it is with the EM/5/1, I believe what you hearing is the system that keeps the sensor set in the correct place (its electro-magnetically suspended as I understand it) and the louder IS action noise is what you get when its moving the sensor from its stable resting position to compensate for movement.

(the noise is there even if you disable IS by the way)

I must admit I was so used to the background noise I had forgotten about it and it was only when I made a conscious effort and held it to my ear when switching on and off that it became apparent

Welcome to the site by the way, there are a lot of lovely people here :)

Chippy_boy
16th June 2014, 07:11 AM
Thanks for the info, Brian. And thanks for the warm welcome!

The only other "anomaly" I have noticed is that the 12-40 lens is a bit wobbly at the front. More so when extended, but even at 12mm the front is slightly loose. I don't know whether this will be an issue optically, but given the rave reviews and people everywhere saying the lens is mechanically superb, it is somewhat surprising. I was expecting everything to be nice and smooth and tight, with no loose wobbly stuff.

Do you know if this is normal too?

(Sorry this is a bit off-topic, but it didn't seem starting a whole new thread over.)

rich_
17th June 2014, 07:59 AM
My 12-40 makes an audiable whirr type noise whilst the camera is on (As reported previously in this topic). Battery life seems about right, although honestly i never shoot it enough to empty a battery. I always have the back screen turned off with no auto review. But it's still lit, just not displaying.

A well built camera, but my loudest from an operational standby perspective.

rich_
17th June 2014, 08:02 AM
my 12-40 has never struck me as being wobbly at the front. it seems very dampened and sturdy. one of the best mid zooms I've played with. You might want to shove it under the nose of an Olympus rep to see if its within tolerances.

Good luck!

Miketoll
17th June 2014, 09:22 AM
My 12-40 has no wobble, everything is nice and smooth and tight.

brian1208
17th June 2014, 12:52 PM
I would guess there is max 2 - 3mm rock at full extension (probably less), holding the body and the lens hood in either hand I can both feel a "click" as it rocks and herar the noise as it moves.

No more than I would expect though, from my experience you can't have an "engineering fit" (ie: truly zero movement) with an extending lens with weather and dust seals in a usable lens. I suspect we all have different perceptions of what is "acceptable" movement with these types of lenses

(same as the debate about how tight or otherwise the lens coupling to the body is / should be, what's too tight for some is just right for others :))

Optically there is no sign of any effect on image quality, that I can see)

Chippy_boy
18th June 2014, 09:51 AM
I would guess there is max 2 - 3mm rock at full extension (probably less), holding the body and the lens hood in either hand I can both feel a "click" as it rocks and herar the noise as it moves.

No more than I would expect though, from my experience you can't have an "engineering fit" (ie: truly zero movement) with an extending lens with weather and dust seals in a usable lens. I suspect we all have different perceptions of what is "acceptable" movement with these types of lenses

(same as the debate about how tight or otherwise the lens coupling to the body is / should be, what's too tight for some is just right for others :))

Optically there is no sign of any effect on image quality, that I can see)

Thanks - that's reassuring. I would say mine has much less wobble than 2-3mm. It's probably < 1mm. And optically, I cannot detect any flaw with the lens whatsoever; it is excellent.

I have to say though, it is overpriced imho. My Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS is optically just as good, mechanically better (smoother zoom, no wobble), has inbuilt IS, bigger (more expensive) glass in it and is available for £300 less than the Olympus lens. That makes the Oly appear pretty poor value I would suggest. £500 to £600 would be a fairer price point for the Olympus lens, imho.

StephenL
18th June 2014, 10:36 AM
Well, there's a known major problem with the Canon lens. It won't work on an Olympus.

brian1208
18th June 2014, 02:34 PM
interesting observation on the 17-55 f2.8 EF-S, mine had a similar "wobble and click" but I'm guessing that as its a larger diameter it wasn't as apparent as it may be in the Oly 12-40 (also as the system is new to you, if you are anything like me with new kit, you will be super-sensitive to possible problems? :)

As to the optics, the 17-55 was good but I think my copy of the 12-40 is better and as Stephen pointed out, the 17-55 don't fit the Oly EM bodies :D

on the pricing, don't forget the 17-55 is now an "old" lens and the price has dropped significantly (around £640) from memory, when I got mine as a new, hot off the press design it was around £800. (Smaller doesn't necessarily mean cheaper with technology ;) )

I should enjoy what you have now and stop looking back (not easy I know from my own experience) otherwise you may end up getting rid of you Olympus get and going back to being a dedicated shooter of canons :)

Chippy_boy
19th June 2014, 10:50 PM
Yes, I will try and put the (very annoying) "wobble" to the back of my mind. The optical performance of the lens is really ridiculously good. And combined with the similarly ridiculously good performance of the EM1, the combination is really off-the-scale good.

I was driving home today when I saw a field of poppies, so I stopped to take a few snaps. Aperture priority, no exposure comp, just snaps. Honestly the jpegs, straight out of the camera, are so sharp, so perfectly exposed and in focus, it's quite breathtaking.

snerkler
19th January 2017, 10:49 AM

Angus
@Angus sorry to revive an old thread but I've just bought an EM1 and have something that sounds similar to your second noise, kind of like the IBIS but coarser and a bit like static from an old radio. The dropbox link to the other's person's recorded sound isn't working anymore and I was wondering if you still have your old recording so that I can compare it to the noise I'm getting please. Bit of a longshot I know ;)

Cheers