PDA

View Full Version : E M-1 M mode with legacy glass? Help needed.

delaneyb
15th November 2013, 08:59 AM
Hi,
My E-M1 has arrived from Taiwan ;)
Lovely camera and great EVF. Its good for manual focusing my legacy glass, but it might be a bit quicker with focus peaking. Trouble is I can't seem to switch it on.
I've set FP on for M focus in settings, and I can set a Fn button to give magnification.
However, FP only seems to work with a m43 lens in M mode and there doesn't seem to be an option to switch it on via a Fn button (or even the settings) for an OM or Leica manual lens via an adaptor.
So does FP work with legacy glass or not?
Thanks
Brendan

birdboy
15th November 2013, 09:20 AM
For some reason only Olympus could explain setting FP on the menu does not work with other lenses (including FT). To get FP to work you need to assign FP to one of the buttons. I have set the preview button for MF (button 10 p 10) and FP to the white balance button (button 9 p10).

Hope this helps.

jmunkki
15th November 2013, 09:37 AM
I don't have legacy glass with me here at work, so I can't test thoroughly. However, since there's no communication between the camera & the lens, the camera doesn't know when you change focus and that's why automatic focus peaking doesn't work (like it does with FT and MFT lenses).

You can assign a button to toggle focus peaking on and off. Go into the cogwheel menu, select buttons, select a button you don't need much and go through the options until you find focus peaking. I chose "rec" for now, but I'm still figuring out what button functions I need customized. (I find having "myset1" on one of the buttons to be a big help, resetting camera settings to something reasonable with a single touch of a button.)

crimbo
15th November 2013, 12:17 PM
I have set fn1 for magnify and fn2 for peaking...working very well with the old silvernose 50mm.
Only thing I dont have control over yet is that the peaking is disabled with a half press of the shutter and returns on release of the shutter button

David Morison
15th November 2013, 06:26 PM
I have FP assigned to AEL button. If you select Magnify, without actually magnifying then that switches on IS and you can focus using FP without pressing the release button.

David